- Created on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 05:25
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Christian Ponder's development as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback has been slow. He took significantly less time to finish his courtship of ESPN reporter Samantha Steele.
Just a few months after meeting Steele on the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" and two weeks after getting engaged, Ponder confirmed the two were married at a Hudson, Wis., courthouse on Monday afternoon. Ponder, 24, has been surprised by the attention the relationship has received and unsuccessfully tried to keep the marriage out of the public eye.
"We tried to keep the attention away from us and just went over to Wisconsin and had it done," Ponder said Wednesday during his weekly press conference. "So, it was quick, but it was good."
Ponder is used to having the spotlight as Minnesota's second-year starting quarterback, and Steele, 27, is certainly no stranger to the attention. But the two believed going to Hudson — about 40 minutes east of the Twin Cities — might have kept the marriage under wraps. Ponder said it was just the two of them on Monday but that they will have a bigger ceremony in the offseason.
"It was important for us to get it done before the holidays and a lot of personal reasons that went into it," Ponder said.
News broke of the romance in October when Ponder confirmed the two were dating. Ponder said they were hoping to keep the relationship a secret but knew it would eventually get out. He confirmed later they were engaged on Dec. 4 but refused to get into details.
Ponder said the two met when Steele's live ESPN show was at Florida State, where Ponder was the Seminoles' starting quarterback before being drafted in the first round by Minnesota last year. Ponder added that Steele has visited him in Minnesota often since the relationship began.
"They call me Mr. Steele," Ponder said in October, adding: "Christian Steele is kind of a sweet name."
Steele also confirmed the union via Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Twitter is so tricky. Who knew that 'she's pregnant' & 'they'll be divorced soon' are just the 2012 version of 'congrats'! Thx guys! :)"
With two games remaining this season, the Vikings are trying to earn a playoff berth with Ponder in his second year as a starter. The timing of the nuptials has brought attention because of Minnesota's postseason push, but Ponder said it hasn't been a distraction to him or the team.
"It was a good thing to happen, but it's not going to be a distraction," Ponder said. "I'm still putting in the time that I did Monday and Tuesday and for the rest of the week. . . . (I understand) how big of a game this is for myself and this team. It's important for me."
The Vikings (8-6) travel to Houston Sunday to take on the Texans (12-2).
Ponder has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He has a 78.6 quarterback rating, which ranks 25th in the league.
"I knew it was on the radar, didn't know when," coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he got it done."
Follow Brian Hall on Twitter.
- Deputy collides with dirt bike in Medway
- Mother of Ellsworth teen charged with hindering prosecution or apprehension
- Reaching out to prevent student suicide
- With the "Tax Relief Act" families would receive a $500 child and dependent tax credit
- Village Candle expanding into Europe
- Orrington celebrates 230 years
- Salmon farm CEO addresses Bucksport residents
- MDOT delaying new ferry ticket rates
- Secretary of state issues warning to business owners
- Farmington man arrested for stealing nude photos from a phone
- Storage units in several counties burglarized
- Proposed gun law change has been rejected by Maine House
- Senior Art Festival call for artists
- 300 students receive free tuition at UMaine colleges
- Kristen Wiig reportedly in early talks for 'Wonder Woman 2' villain role
- 'American Chopper' star sued for fraud after allegedly sabotaging a TV project
- KFC runs out of gravy a week after running out of chicken
- Austin bomber recorded 25-minute 'confession' to his deadly crimes, police say
- Dashcam video of deadly self-driving Uber crash released
- Austin bomber's family: 'We had no idea of the darkness that Mark must have been in'
- Sessions lawyer says AG is not under federal perjury investigation
- Rep. Jim Jordan on potential government shutdown
- Man who killed college student sentenced to life, no parole
- Peru President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski offers to quit amid corruption controversy
- Harry Connick Jr. and wife have ‘colonoscopy double date’?
- After dodging ICE raid, immigrants arrested for new crimes
- Pope appoints archbishop to replace arrested Brazil bishop l
- Ohio couple caught having sex in front of kids at playground, cops say
- Fred Savage denies 'violently' assaulting woman on 'The Grinder' set
- Former FBI profiler on identification of Austin bomber
- With police near, suspected Austin bomber blows himself up
- Man pleads guilty to wife's 2014 disappearance, slaying
- Marvin Gaye's Family Wins Big Against Robin Thicke & Pharrell Williams In 'Blurred Lines' Case
- Emily Ratajkowski Shares Completely Nude Snap: I'm 'Posing For My Husband'
- Amber Rose Claps Back At Trolls Throwing Shade At Her Son Over His Love For Taylor Swift
- 'Champions' Actor J.J. Totah Says He's Thrifty & Wont' Go Bankrupt Like Lady Gaga
- Harry Styles Sings Ex Taylor Swift's Song During Concert
- 'Access Live's' Natalie Morales and Kit Hoover Score Daytime Emmy Nomination
- 45th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards Nominations: The Full List!
- Henry Cavill Shaves His Mustache & Trolls Himself In Hilarious Instagram Video
- The Queen Enlists Shawn Mendes, Shaggy & More Performers For 92nd Birthday
- Disney World Removes Brides From Auction Block In 'Pirates Of The Caribbean' Ride
- Keith Urban Features Julia Michaels & Credits Merle Haggard In New Single 'Coming Home'
- Jimmy Kimmel Gets A Colonoscopy With Katie Couric By His Side
- Fired Atlanta Hawks worker sues, claims discrimination against white employees
- NHL star Erik Karlsson and wife lose son a month before due date
- Ex-Mavericks employee slams owner Mark Cuban due to alleged sexual misconduct in organization
- NBA's Kyle Korver takes leave after death of brother, 27
- 100-year-old runner, a World War II vet, sets 5 new world track records
- Aaron Hernandez struggled with being gay, ex-girlfriend says
- PGA security high ahead of Austin tournament amid bomb attacks
- Ex-baseball prospect Danry Vasquez speaks out after video allegedly shows him beating then-girlfriend: 'I've truly changed'
- Kaepernick ex-teammate says anthem protests hampering ability to find new team
- Sister Jean Schmidt, 98, sees Loyola-Chicago win first NCAA Tournament game in 33 years
- Longtime New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson dies at age 90
- Baylor University suspends 3 players following accusations of off-campus rapes