- Category: Sports
- Created on Saturday, 15 December 2012 19:23
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 686
Mike Ricci made it clear he didn’t enjoy his time filming “The Ultimate Fighter.”
The 26-year-old Canadian’s disappointment continued in the TUF finale, as he was upset by Army Ranger Colton Smith via a unanimous decision at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas on Saturday night.
“He came in the house and whooped the crap out of everybody,” Smith said. “He’s a very dangerous opponent. I had to be careful with him. I couldn’t find the finish.”
Smith earned a six-figure UFC contract and a Harley-Davidson with his victory in the Season 16 finale, which was scored 30-27, 30-27, 30-26 by the three judges.
Ricci vs. Smith didn’t lack drama -- some of which Ricci carried into the Octagon with him.
Ricci said on a conference call before the fight that he wouldn’t view TUF favorably even if he won Saturday. Ricci added he “didn’t enjoy it one bit.”
Still, he entered as the favorite, both for his longer resume and the fact he trains at the one the world’s top MMA gyms, Tristar Gym in Montreal, alongside Georges St-Pierre and Rory MacDonald.
But Smith stuck to what he knows best during the entire bout: wrestling. The former Army wrestler was on Ricci’s back for nearly the entire three-round bout, almost securing a choke hold that would have ended it on a couple occasions.
Ricci rallied with 45 second left in the third, getting atop Smith and then nearly applying an armbar. Smith, however, escaped and remained out of trouble as the clock ticked down.
In the other co-main event, Smith’s coach, Roy Nelson, earned a TKO victory over Matt Mitrione with two minutes left in the first round of the heavyweight bout. Nelson staggered Mitrione -- who had lost his mouthpiece earlier -- with a right uppercut, and a few haymakers later, the fight was called.
“It's the first time I actually threw combos,” Nelson said. “That’s why I can’t wait to fight JDS (Junior dos Santos) or Cain (Velasquez). I learned this combo thing now.”
Mitrione stepped in for Shane Carwin, the coach who opposed Nelson in TUF 16. Carwin suffered a serious knee injury last month, another setback for the injury-prone veteran.
This bout also marked the end for what had been a turbulent tenure for Nelson in TUF, as he was criticized for being one of the worst mentors in TUF history.
Ultimate Fighter aside, the entire FX card delivered. Nine of the 11 bouts on the card ended with stoppages.
On the main card, Shane Del Rosario controlled much of the first round in his bout against Pat Barry. Del Rosario nearly applied what would have been a fight-ending choke, but Barry made it out of the round and then quickly became the aggressor moments into the second round with an overhand left to Del Rosario’s face.
The blow staggered Del Rosario, and Barry knocked him out a couple blows later with a brutal right hand.
“I said since Day 1, I’m throwing heat or I’m throwing nothing,” Barry said after the fight as he fought back tears. “I’m either going to win all the way or lose all the way. There is no in between.”
And in the first contest on the main card, Dustin Poirier and Jonathan Brookins went all out for four minutes. Brookins had the edge early in the first round as he caught Poirier with a couple solid strikes.
“He hurt me early on against the fence, and I just started throwing wild,” Poirier said in the post-fight interview. “Luckily, I clipped his chin and made him back up a little bit.”
Clipped his chin he did. Poirier backed Brookins against the fence into a vulnerable spot. Brookins, in desperation, shot for the leg and Poirier applied a D'arce choke. Poirier tapped out seconds later.
The only blemish on this event was the postponement of the fight between Jamie Varner and Melvin Guillard. Varner fell violently ill and a doctor from the Nevada State Athletic Commission ruled that the bout could not be held.
Guillard wasn’t buying it. He said Varner’s people accused him of “greasing” before the fight was called off.
“I get out of my suit and start warming up and not even 20 minutes later they come in and say, ‘Hey, they are going to scratch your fight. Varner is throwing up,’” Guillard said. “I thought it was a joke.”
FUEL TV’s Ariel Helwani reported that the bout will be moved to the UFC 155 undercard on Dec. 29.
“I’m upset,” Guillard said. “I cut 30 pounds to make weight. I did my camp right. I was in great shape, and I was ready to fight. What he’s done tonight is very cowardly. I saw the look in his eyes at the weigh-in. I could tell he didn’t want to fight me.”
- Kristen Wiig reportedly in early talks for 'Wonder Woman 2' villain role
- 'American Chopper' star sued for fraud after allegedly sabotaging a TV project
- KFC runs out of gravy a week after running out of chicken
- Austin bomber recorded 25-minute 'confession' to his deadly crimes, police say
- Dashcam video of deadly self-driving Uber crash released
- Austin bomber's family: 'We had no idea of the darkness that Mark must have been in'
- Sessions lawyer says AG is not under federal perjury investigation
- Rep. Jim Jordan on potential government shutdown
- Man who killed college student sentenced to life, no parole
- Peru President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski offers to quit amid corruption controversy
- Harry Connick Jr. and wife have ‘colonoscopy double date’?
- After dodging ICE raid, immigrants arrested for new crimes
- Pope appoints archbishop to replace arrested Brazil bishop l
- Ohio couple caught having sex in front of kids at playground, cops say
- Fred Savage denies 'violently' assaulting woman on 'The Grinder' set
- Former FBI profiler on identification of Austin bomber
- With police near, suspected Austin bomber blows himself up
- Man pleads guilty to wife's 2014 disappearance, slaying
- Marvin Gaye's Family Wins Big Against Robin Thicke & Pharrell Williams In 'Blurred Lines' Case
- Emily Ratajkowski Shares Completely Nude Snap: I'm 'Posing For My Husband'
- Amber Rose Claps Back At Trolls Throwing Shade At Her Son Over His Love For Taylor Swift
- 'Champions' Actor J.J. Totah Says He's Thrifty & Wont' Go Bankrupt Like Lady Gaga
- Harry Styles Sings Ex Taylor Swift's Song During Concert
- 'Access Live's' Natalie Morales and Kit Hoover Score Daytime Emmy Nomination
- 45th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards Nominations: The Full List!
- Henry Cavill Shaves His Mustache & Trolls Himself In Hilarious Instagram Video
- The Queen Enlists Shawn Mendes, Shaggy & More Performers For 92nd Birthday
- Disney World Removes Brides From Auction Block In 'Pirates Of The Caribbean' Ride
- Keith Urban Features Julia Michaels & Credits Merle Haggard In New Single 'Coming Home'
- Jimmy Kimmel Gets A Colonoscopy With Katie Couric By His Side
- Fired Atlanta Hawks worker sues, claims discrimination against white employees
- NHL star Erik Karlsson and wife lose son a month before due date
- Ex-Mavericks employee slams owner Mark Cuban due to alleged sexual misconduct in organization
- NBA's Kyle Korver takes leave after death of brother, 27
- 100-year-old runner, a World War II vet, sets 5 new world track records
- Aaron Hernandez struggled with being gay, ex-girlfriend says
- PGA security high ahead of Austin tournament amid bomb attacks
- Ex-baseball prospect Danry Vasquez speaks out after video allegedly shows him beating then-girlfriend: 'I've truly changed'
- Kaepernick ex-teammate says anthem protests hampering ability to find new team
- Sister Jean Schmidt, 98, sees Loyola-Chicago win first NCAA Tournament game in 33 years
- Longtime New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson dies at age 90
- Baylor University suspends 3 players following accusations of off-campus rapes