- Category: Sports
- Created on Friday, 07 December 2012 08:27
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 689
ANDY MURRAY plans to become more involved in the Davis Cup as he revelled in the atmosphere surrounding the Great Britain team ahead of their encounter with Luxembourg.
Murray will make his first appearance in the competition since September 2009 when he takes on Laurent Bram at Braehead Arena in Glasgow today.
The world No.4 pulled out of John Lloyd's last match in charge, a defeat by Lithuania.
But he has kept in touch with Leon Smith since his former mentor took over and will make his first appearance under the current captain in his third match in charge. The Dunblane ace - who crashed to a semi-final defeat against Rafa Nadal at Wimbledon last week - said: "I have enjoyed the last few days, it's nice being around all the guys, good fun. That's the best part about Davis Cup.
Refreshing "Whether it's the best thing for me or not (after Wimbledon), I have no idea, but I have had a good week so far.
"I have always enjoyed playing Davis Cup. It's a different atmosphere, a different experience and just a different build-up.
"I like that, it's refreshing. You spend the whole year on your own and now you have guys around you.
"I like playing for my country, always have done, and I've played well."
When asked about his future intentions, Murray said: "I think I'll play more, for sure.
"I enjoyed it when I played Davis Cup in the past. A few things happened in the past that I didn't enjoy towards the last few ties.
"Now I'm looking forward to it again. I'm sure I'll play more than I have done in the past few years."
Murray's presence has lifted the camp as Britain strive to set up a promotion play-off against Belarus or Hungary in September.
Captain Smith was keen to acknowledge the benefits of having his number one player available.
The Scot, who has guided Britain to victories over Turkey and Tunisia, said: "We do make a lot of Andy being in the team but it is a big deal and he brings so much.
Ropey "The way he works and the way he looks after his body just helps everyone see what one of the best players in the world is doing."
Jamie Murray also returns to Davis Cup action after ropey form saw him dropped.
He said: "It's going to be a great experience and the chance to play with Andy in Davis Cup is not something we have done before.
"So I'm looking forward to it. Almost as much as he is."
- Kristen Wiig reportedly in early talks for 'Wonder Woman 2' villain role
- 'American Chopper' star sued for fraud after allegedly sabotaging a TV project
- KFC runs out of gravy a week after running out of chicken
- China's 'unity of thought' plan tightens party control over state-run media
- California high school students plan pro-life walkout
- Aileen Wuornos' attorney talks about serial killer's last days in new documentary
- Texas home nurse, reportedly in the US illegally and facing murder charge, now being eyed in other deaths
- How to ‘rehab’ a radical Pakistani militant
- FDNY firefighter dies battling blaze on movie set
- Cate Blanchett addresses Woody Allen claims: 'I don't think I've stayed silent'
- Son of nanny accused of fatally stabbing two children says murders were an 'accident'
- Reporter accuses Russian presidential candidate of groping
- Sen. Graham: Bolton is a leading from the front kind of guy
- McDonald’s customers are bringing their horses to restaurants in the U.K.
- Cyprus' British base police say 'huge' drop in bird trapping
- At least 2 dead, dozen injured after ISIS-aligned gunman takes hostages in French supermarket
- Michael Vick finds new way to earn extra cash after 'Atlanta' cameo
- At least 1 dead after ISIS-aligned gunman shoots at cops, takes hostages in French supermarket
- Bill Hader Says Justin Bieber Was The Worst Musical Guest He Saw In 'SNL' History
- Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Are Red Carpet Perfection On NYC Date Night
- Food Network Star Katie Lee Is Engaged – Check Out Her Ring!
- Matt Damon Jokes About Ben Affleck's Huge Tattoo: 'I Support Him In His Artistic Expression'
- 'Star Trek' Star Anton Yelchin's Parents Reach A Settlement With Car Company After His 2016 Death
- Camila Cabello Gushes Over Shawn Mendes' New Song 'In My Blood'
- 'The Good Doctor's' Hill Harper Reveals The Celebrity Inspiration Behind His Son's Name
- Sean Penn Says He's Not In Love With Acting Anymore
- Jennifer Garner Rocks Marching Band Uniform & Plays "Happy Birthday" On Saxophone For Reese Witherspoon!
- Hey, Hallmark! Access Live's Natalie Morales And Kit Hoover Are Ready For A Role Your Next Christmas Movie!
- Bill Cosby's Lawyers Want Judge Steven O'Neill's Ousted -- Find Out Why
- Prince Harry & Meghan Markle's Wedding Invitations Are Stunning & Their Guest List Is Officially Set!
- Renowned jockey dies after falling off horse headfirst during race
- Ex-MLB pitcher who fractured hand punching naked man on LSD gets millions
- College football player with 'huge heart' dies in Mexico while on spring break, months before graduation
- NFL player Zay Jones back home after arrest for bloody, naked brawl with brother in LA
- Fired Atlanta Hawks worker sues, claims discrimination against white employees
- NHL star Erik Karlsson and wife lose son a month before due date
- Ex-Mavericks employee slams owner Mark Cuban due to alleged sexual misconduct in organization
- NBA's Kyle Korver takes leave after death of brother, 27
- 100-year-old runner, a World War II vet, sets 5 new world track records
- Aaron Hernandez struggled with being gay, ex-girlfriend says
- PGA security high ahead of Austin tournament amid bomb attacks
- Ex-baseball prospect Danry Vasquez speaks out after video allegedly shows him beating then-girlfriend: 'I've truly changed'