- Created on Tuesday, 11 December 2012 11:57
About 70 percent of NFL players appear to be in for a change after the three final regular season games and the playoffs.
The NFL will make thigh and knee pads mandatory in 2013, a regulation the league’s owners will be updated on when they meet in Dallas on Wednesday.
“For over a year we have been getting input, including from players, on what the padding will be like,” said Ray Anderson, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations. “But starting in 2013, thigh and knee pads will be required, like they were before 1994.”
The NFL Players Association pushed to make thigh and knee pads optional that season. The most recent survey (conducted in 2010) showed that only 30 percent of the players chose to wear such protection with wide receivers, defensive backs, linebackers and defensive lineman the most likely to go minus the pads.
The owners approved a rule change to make thigh and knee pads mandatory in May. The NFLPA said at the time that “any change in working conditions is a collectively-bargained issue.”
The union did not immediately respond to FOXSports.com.
Those involved with player safety on the league level will take the owners through the new padding, designs that Nike and Under Armour have proposed to allow for added mobility while still protecting the player.
“For some players, they need to pass the mirror test,” Anderson said. “They like to look good, look sleek. They want to move unencumbered. It was important for us to address the performance and the aesthetics of the new pads.”
- State police searching for two missing adults with special needs
- Birdsacre Sanctuary in Ellsworth is looking for volunteers for spring cleaning
- Garland shooting leaves one in the hospital and another in jail
- Romaine lettuce could be tainted with E.coli
- Death With Dignity campaign wants to be placed before Maine voters
- State legislature closing impacting bill for background checks on pre-K teachers
- Area children enjoy Challenger Learning Center's vacation camp
- Man taken to hospital after shooting in Garland
- Homeless veterans urge Representative Poliquin to reconsider a bill that would increase hunger in many
- City of Portland cuts ties with Waterfront Concerts
- Augusta woman arrested for unlawful sexual contact charges
- Massachusetts woman sentenced in murder case
- Services held for deceased Iowa family of four found in Mexico
- Two dead after home-built plane crashes in California
- Verne Troyer, Mini-Me in 'Austin Powers' movies, is dead at 49, spokesperson confirms
- Paris Jackson's relatives are fearing for her life
- Sessions reportedly says he may quit if Rosenstein is sacked; what is Trump saying?
- Florida teacher's calm conversation holds shooter's attention until cop arrives: 'I am no hero'
- Steve Hilton: Drain The Swamp -- Trump should fire Scott Pruitt and throw out lobbyists
- Trump has the constitutional authority to fire Mueller -- Here's why
- At Sylvester Stallone's urging, Trump weighs 'full pardon' for boxer Jack Johnson
- What are President Trump's next steps on North Korea?
- Amish buggy crashes in Ohio, killing woman and injuring man and 2 infants
- Barbara Bush's funeral attended by Melania Trump, Clintons, others
- Tristan Thompson spotted reportedly flirting with models during NBA All-Star Weekend
- Former President George H.W. Bush honors late wife's commitment to literacy by wearing socks with books
- Suspected Florida school shooter to remain in jail after court appearance
- Trump hosts France's Macron for first state visit; dinner menu, guest list still secret
- Trump hosts France's Macron for first state visit; with dinner menu, guest list still secret
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson had the best response to a Minnesota teen's 'promposal'
- Abby Lee Miller Shares Photo From The Hospital After Preliminary Cancer Diagnosis
- Actor Verne Troyer Dead At 49
- Carrie Underwood Shares Close-Up Photo Of Her Scars Months After Nasty Fall
- Jenna Dewan Steps Out For Her First Red Carpet Appearance Since Channing Tatum Split
- Ariana Grande Performs New Single 'No Tears Left To Cry' At Coachella 2018!
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Renewed For Season 15 At ABC
- Natalie Portman Breaks Her Silence On Skipping Israeli Award Ceremony
- Kim Kardashian Shares A Video Packing On The PDA With Hubby Kanye West
- Taylor Swift Adorably Responds To Fans' Reactions To Her Country Music Return With Sugarland
- Selena Gomez Gushes Over BFF Amy Schumer's New Movie 'I Feel Pretty'
- Christie Brinkley Thought The Nude Pic Her Son Took Of His Girlfriend Nina Agdal Was Awesome
- Swedish DJ Avicii Dead At 28
- Arsene Wenger to leave Arsenal after 22 seasons with club
- Alex Rodriguez's 'nephew' kidnapped in New York City hotel over $600G Lamborghini sale
- Lance Armstrong settles $100M lawsuit with US government
- Alex Rodriguez's nephew kidnapped in New York City hotel over $600G Lamborghini sale
- McKayla Maroney: Larry Nassar exploited me when coaches withheld food
- McKayla Maroney: Larry Nassar exploited coaches withholding food
- New York Yankees superstars respond to girl's viral video on bullying trauma
- TNT reporter asks LeBron James about death of Spurs coach's wife, gets slammed on social media
- Erin Popovich, wife of San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, dies at 67
- Drunk ski jump over a crowd of spectators leads to criminal investigation after 2 injured
- Florida woman hit in face with puck at NHL playoff game
- Longtime Spurs fans 'turned off' by coach Gregg Popovich's anti-Trump comments, report says