AUGUSTA — The Maine Center for Disease Control said Thursday that 217 new cases of COVID-19 have been reported across the state and that 24 more people died after contracting the illness, bringing Maine’s death toll to date at 701.
The additional cases bring the total since mid-March of last year to at least 44,117, according to state health officials.
According to the Maine CDC, all of the 24 additional deaths reported Thursday were from a review of death certificates.
They included three residents of Penobscot County, two people from Kennebec County, another two people from Hancock County, and three residents each from Cumberland and York counties. The others were four residents of Oxford County, two residents each from Androscoggin, Franklin and Sagadahoc counties, and one Lincoln County resident.
Eleven of the people who died were women, while 13 were men, state health officials said. Two were between 60 and 69 years old, nine were between 70 and 79 years old, and 13 were 80 or older.
The latest Maine CDC COVID-19 statistics also indicate 12,786 people have completed isolations after having contracted the virus, while a total of 1,521 people have required hospitalization to treat the virus.
As of Thursday, 67 people were hospitalized for COVID-19, 22 of them being treated in intensive care units, while eight people were on ventilators.
Also as of Thursday, 316,462 COVID-19 vaccines had been administered. Of those, 211,451 were first doses, and 105,011 were final doses, the Maine CDC said.
The Maine CDC conducts briefings with Director Dr. Nirav Shah on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Today’s briefing will begin at 2 p.m. and will be streamed live via our website at foxbangor.com and over our Facebook page at Fox ABC Maine.
For more information about COVID-19 in Maine, visit the Maine CDC website