NEWPORT — Lightning hit Penobscot County around 6 p.m. Wednesday, sparking a fire in Newport.
Firefighters got a call from Newport residents who said a lightning bolt hit an electrical box on their neighbor’s barn.
According to witness Dan Slater, there was a big bang and then fire and smoke were seen engulfing the top of the barn.
The barn is located behind the home on Elm Street in Newport.
“I was in the house and Bert came in, my husband. He said did you hear that big crash of thunder and I’m like,’ Yeah,’ and he goes, ‘The whole back of the barn shook and I lost power to the back of the barn,’ and I’m like, ‘Wow.’ Two minutes later we hear our neighbor Mark Thomas, and he’s hollering your barn is on fire, your barn is on fire,” said Gertrude Andrews, the owner of the barn.
“I ran back there and ran straight to the front door first. I told them about it and ran right back to the garden hose, got the window open, and started spraying it down as quickly as we could,” Thomas said.
According to Pittsfield Fire Chief Bernard William, roughly 40 firefighters from several area departments helped put the fire out.