LINCOLN — The fire that killed a 7-old girl on Monday was accidental, according to an official with the state fire marshal’s office.
During a Friday morning news briefing, Assistant State Fire Marshal Troy Gardner stopped short of saying poorly installed electrical wiring caused the fire.
“So there had been some electrical work done, some wiring work done there, within three days of the fire. It’s obvious that could be a contributing factor. That’s the only thing that would be in this space that would create a fire,” Gardner said.
Gardner said the fire was intensified when a 50-gallon plastic container of kerosene burned in the room above where the fire victim was sleeping.
According to Gardner, 7-year-old Adele Parent was found by Lincoln firefighters on the floor next to her bed. An autopsy conducted earlier this week determined the girl died from smoke inhalation.