FREEDOM (WGME) — Conservationists are reminding hunters to be aware of the ammo they use and its potential effect on the animals they don’t intentionally target.
In the past week alone, Avian Haven took in four bald eagles suffering from lead poisoning.
Unfortunately, all three adults died from extremely high levels of lead in their systems.
Wildlife rehabilitators are still trying to save the young eagle by administering chemical agents to remove lead from its bloodstream.
They said the young eagle is thin and weak but is still alive and able to stand.
Eagles ingest lead by eating animals that have been shot.
Animal conservationists encourage hunters to use shotgun shells and bullets that aren’t made of lead.