MONMOUTH – High winds fueling a fire in Monmouth that destroyed a warehouse and injured one of the people working there.
“A.D. Electric had just finished stocking its warehouse with a million dollars worth of equipment for the busy summer season. The fire destroyed all of it. The company installs traffic signals and street lights. The warehouse that had stood here 40 years; gone in less than an hour.” Monmouth Fire Chief Dan Roy “he was actually welding on top of the light fixture.”
Monmouth Fire Chief Roy says a man was welding a traffic light 20 feet off the ground, when the bucket he was standing in caught on fire. “we think maybe some hot slag or errant sparks caught the hydraulic lines on fire that were attached to the boom, and then caught the underside of the fiberglass bucket on fire.”
Asst. Fire Chief Anthony Pollard “the bucket truck was up near the building. And the fire just spread into the building. It was just a matter of time before you’re going to lose the building.”
This building used to be a three story wooden chicken coop. Inside the fire swept from one end of the building to the other, and inside there were several explosions. The assistant fire chief on the scene immediately told his firefighters no one is going in or near that building. The fire chief here in monmouth says that was the right call.”
Monmouth Fire Chief Roy “They had explosions with shrapnel metal falling all around them. The best thing he could do was not put firefighters in that building, which he did, and I’m thankful for that.”
The welder jumped to safety. The company says he suffered second and third degree burns on an arms, face and back. He’s at the Maine Med Burn Unit.
Monmouth Fire Chief Roy “I think he’s going to be ok. I just don’t know to what extent or how long he’s going to be hospitalized.”
The company is fully insured. The owner hopes to keep all 20 employees working, while he rebuilds.