WHITEFIELD – Its a miracle the whole place didn’t burn down.
That’s what the principal of Whitefield Elementary School told school board members recently after a fire in the gym several weeks ago. The fire started in a light fixture. He says installation issues caused every light fixture in the gym to overheat. So now the old lights have been removed and replaced along with the wiring.
While there’s still work to do, the students were finally cleared to return to their own school today.
“It’s definitely been a major inconvenience. But we’ve had very supportive people at Chelsea School helping us out offering their facility to use. And our students and staff have been phenomenal in accommodating this situation.” Principal Josh McNaughton, Whitefield Elemetary School
Students have been attending classes at the nearby Chelsea School. With work still happening in the gym, PE classes will happen outside in the meantime. And since the gym is also the lunch-room students also will have bag breakfasts and lunches. And eat in their classrooms. Until the gym is ready.