According to The State Fire Marshal's Office, 1-year-old Wyatt Chandler of Calais was seriously injured after his father, Joshua Barnard, tried to pour flammable liquid onto a campfire from a water bottle.
Police say the flames spread to the bottle and ignited it.
Barnard dropped the container, spilling the liquid on his son who was sitting with his mother, Courtnie Chandler, according to public safety spokesman Steve McCausland.
The toddler was flown by Life Flight helicopter to Mass General in Boston.
Fire marshals are reminding people to never throw flammable liquid on a fire as it can explode.