Print this page
Wednesday, 13 March 2019 14:36

Ayla Reynolds' mom pleads for public's help

Written by

PORTLAND (WGME) - Toddler Ayla Reynolds disappeared more than seven years ago. Ayla's mother, Trista Reynolds, filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the girl's father, Justin DiPietro, last December but officials have not been able to find him to serve him with the summons.

Now, Reynolds said, the clock is ticking. If DiPietro is not located soon that lawsuit could be tossed.


"She would be 9 this year," Trista Reynolds said in an interview on Tuesday. She said she often wonders what her daughter would be like now.


"Would she have short hair? Long hair? Would it still be blonde the way that it was?" Reynolds said.


Reynolds is still fighting for justice more than seven years after her daughter disappeared while staying with her father at a home in Waterville.


DiPietro told police he thought Ayla was abducted but investigators have ruled that out.


"I'm stuck and I really have not much more I can do," Reynolds said.


Last year, a judge officially declared Aayla dead, paving the way for Reynolds to file a wrongful death lawsuit against DiPietro. The problem is no one can find him.


"I am begging for the public to help me right now," said Reynolds, who posted a plea on social media Tuesday morning.


She said time is running out. If DiPietro is not served with the summons by Sunday -- 90 days from when the complaint was filed -- the whole case could be tossed out.


According to court documents, DiPietro's last known address was in California.


One of the last times he was spotted in public was in 2013. He took off running when Reynolds confronted him.


Reynolds said her Facebook post was shared more than 10,000 times in a matter of hours.


"It's hit big and I think it's hitting big because everybody wants to see justice for Ayla and I think everybody has seen that I've worked really hard to get where I am to get her justice," Reynolds said.


She said she is hoping for a miracle -- and still calling on the other people who were in the home the night of Ayla's disappearance to come forward with information.


"It would mean a lot. It would mean the whole world to me," she said.