Wednesday, 09 January 2019 21:08

Chimney fire spreads, damages Aurora residence Featured

Written by

AURORA - A building has been badly damaged after its chimney caught fire late Wednesday afternoon.

Around 5:30, firefighters were called to a residence on Giles Pond Road in Aurora.

 

According to the Aurora Fire Department, the fire started in the chimney and spread to the rest of the house.

 

They also stated two people did live in the home and made it out safely.

 

Officials said lack of manpower, messy roads and the wind made fighting the fire difficult.

 

Assistant Chief Timothy Watson with the Aurora Fire Dept. said they were, "short of people all around the area and I responded by myself - called for mutual aid and everyone got here as soon as they can. The roads were really bad."

 

Multiple departments responded to help battle that blaze, including crews from Osborn and Mariaville.

 

They had to truck in water from about a quarter mile down the road.

 

No word yet on a cause.