A passerby called the fire in around 9 p.m. when they saw flames through the basement window.
Officials say the fireplace had been burning and was dying down when people left it unattended.
Several departments from surrounding towns helped fight the fire.
No one was home at the time of the fire and no one was hurt.
"There's a lot of smoke damage on all three floors" chief deputy David Daniels told us "With some reconstruction around the fireplace, they'll be able to live in the home very soon"
This comes as the Holy Family Church is currently running a 3.5 million dollar capital campaign to do repairs to all four buildings in its parish.