Monday, 20 August 2018 16:22

College shuts down South Portland dorm after mold found

Written by

SOUTH PORTLAND (WGME) - Students are being moved out of their dorm rooms at Southern Maine Community College after black mold was found in a residence hall.

School officials said the mold was discovered when students became concerned over wet ceiling tiles.

 

 

A black substance can be seen on ceiling tiles and a wall in a video shared by Cas Cheung and photos provided by Olivia Treadwell.

 

 

The school said at least three students have reported being ill.

 

The student living in the affected dorm are being taken to a different residence hall.

 

The dean of students said tests are being done and that they hope to have a better understanding of the situation shortly.

 

"In the last couple weeks, honestly, we replaced tiles as early as Tuesday that were saturated again and starting to mold by Friday, so the situation is a perfect storm of what we believe to be a mechanical malfunction in conjunction with the extreme heat and humidity," Dean of Students Tiffanie Bentley said.

 

Some students said that they have known about the black mold for more than a month.

 

Treadwell claimed SMCC is covering up the mold and that the school needs to reimburse students for the costs of medical bills, moving and cleaning their belongings.

 

"We should not be paying for this and they should be held 100 percent accountable, and for covering this up, and just replacing tiles is not good enough," she said. "They need to have been testing this long before any resident was living in those halls. This is unacceptable."

 

Because tests are underway, the school said it is too early to talk about reimbursements.

 

Students planned to hold a protest at 6 p.m. on Monday on the SMCC campus.