MADISON – Officials believe a heat lamp caused a fire that destroyed a garage in Madison.
Crews were call to a home on Young Street around 10:45 p.m. Wednesday. By then the garage was fully engulfed in flames and crews worked quickly to protect a nearby home.
The fire destroyed the garage, a vehicle and other equipment inside, but the house was saved.
According to the Morning Sentinel, the home is owned by Roger Lightbody, a retired firefighter, who also suffered a bad cut on his finger while trying to put the fire out.
Officials said a heat lamp was being used in the garage to keep some chickens warm and that’s what they suspect started the fire.