FREEDOM – Avian Haven is the largest non profit bird rehabilitation center in all of New England, and has been protecting birds since the 90’s. Unfortunately, one of their most iconic patients was killed last week, and they believe it could have been prevented.
One of Bangor’s most iconic birds was killed last week. The eagle, “Bangor Mom” has been seen and taken care of in the Bangor community for eight years, but is now dead by what appears to be lead poisoning.
“Before we even did her blood work, we pretty much knew she had lead poisoning from the way she was acting which is extremely debilitated” said Diane Winn, the Executive Director of Avian Haven. She says that Bangor Mom isn’t the only victim, and many birds have been killed this way, and those at Avian Haven do have one hypothesis as how Bangor Mom could have lead in her system.
“One possibility is that it might have come from an unlawfully shot bird such as a crow. There’s a crow season, but the most reason ended at the end of September. We got a shot crow late in December” said Winn.
Therefore for Bangor Mom to have been killed by lead poisoning, it would mean small animals or a crow may have been shot with one of these lead pellet, and left behind for others to find. It only takes a small shard of lead that’s less then a millimeter to kill up to five eagles.
“Were not against hunting” said Marc Payne, the Co Founder of Avian Haven. “We’re not trying to ban the use of lead ammunition, but wed like to educate hunters that if a left animal has lead, there is an exposure to eagles.”
He says this lead can effect more then just animals. “Its getting into the meat you’re going to eat, and you bring that to the dinner table.”
The best way to prevent these tragedies is to pick up any animals while hunting.