BANGOR – We’re sad to report a bald eagle that was rescued in Bangor Thursday has died.
Known as “Mamma Bangor”, the bird was discovered yesterday along the Kenduskeag stream by people who were searching for a missing man.
It was sitting near a footbridge and was clearly sick.
Game wardens brought the eagle to Avian Haven for treatment, but it passed away from lead poisoning.
The same bird and her eaglets were rescued two years ago from the Kenduskeag stream and were also treated for lead poisoning. They all recovered and the eaglets and their mom were released back into the wild.
A second bald eagle was also rescued from Calais yesterday with another case of lead poisoning. Avian Haven reports that eagle made it through the night and continues to receive treatment.