BANGOR – With the winter season here and heating systems kicking back in the Bangor Fire Department wants to warn you about the serious threat of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is produced by cars, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, and furnaces and can cause poisoning or death,
Assistant Fire Chief Anthony Riiano warns that with the closed windows and the restarting of heating systems due to the cold weather carbon monoxide poisoning is a possible threat during the winter. He stated “In the winter time everyone usually closes their windows so the house is usually buttoned up a little bit tighter. So when you’re running your heat, if your furnace isn’t running properly you run the risk of having carbon monoxide issues.”
The best ways to detect and protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning is to check and service of your heating systems or replacing your carbon monoxide detector’s batteries. Taking these steps as well as safe practices when dealing with your heating systems can lower the risks …
Asst. Chief Riiano added “Some of the signs of carbon monoxide is you start feeling nauseous, tired, weakness, nausea, vomiting so those are some of the signs of carbon monoxide. If you start feeling that, you know, go outside, get some fresh air, hopefully you got a carbon monoxide detector to make sure that you know if you’ve got an issue with carbon monoxide in the house those will tell you before you start feeling those symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.”
The Bangor Fire Department wants everyone to remain safe during the holidays and to check both their smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors monthly.