JR Mitchell joined the news team in September of 2015 following a lengthy career in radio, most recently having spent 13 years as the morning show host for Q-106.5 in Bangor. JR has also worked at stations in Millinocket, Houlton and Ellsworth as well.
JR was born in Machias and attended school in the town of Millinocket. He was very involved in politics, music and athletics, and that drove his desire to go into broadcasting. Graduating from the New England School of Broadcasting in 1986. JR is a two-time Country Music Association nominee for Small Market Personality of the Year, and also by the Academy of Country Music for the same award.
JR is a Master Mason at Mystic Lodge #65 in Hampden and is the Chaplain of Anah Shriners in Bangor, as well as being in many of the clubs involved with Anah Shriners, and is a huge supporter of the Pine Tree Camp for Children and Adults with Disabilities.
JR enjoys attending sporting events, live concerts, and telling the stories of the people in Eastern, Central and Northern Maine.
BANGOR - High school graduation is around the corner, and most grads have plans for what's next. For those that don't, Penobscot Job Corps might be just what you need.
BANGOR - Visiting the Shrine Circus this weekend, or attending a parade over the summer, you'll see Anah Shriners having a good time.
But many don't realize what this group of fez-wearing Shriners do as members of one of the world's great philanthropic organizations.
BANGOR - A mother who lost her daughter to childhood cancer, and a wrestler with a big heart come together to fight childhood cancer
- Together Place burglarized Sunday
- Maine becomes third state to ban single-use plastic bags
- Gov. Mills signs biennial budget into law
- Stetson man arraigned on murder charge in Connecticut court
- Williams murder trial closing arguments postponed
- Bangor Humane Society announces Tiles for Tomorrow project
- Downeast Broadband Utility construction underway
- Rainbow Run kicks off Pride Week
- Waterfall Arts lands EPA grant
- No overnight parking through Thursday at Exchange, Harlow streets
- Road work affecting traffic near lower State Street bridge
- Fire displaces nursing home residents
- Fatal car crash in Buckfield
- Man in custody after robbery
- Stetson sex offender extradicted to Connecticut to face girl's murder charge
- Deadly fire above secret nuclear bunker under Maryland house leads to prison sentence
- Democrat border town mayor says 'we are sick and tired' of feds not listening, fixing illegal immigration problem
- New Mexico sheriff officer allegedly 'jokingly' tased his co-worker in the groin: reports
- Michael Knowles: Harvard displays its hypocrisy on racism in revoking Kyle Kashuv's admission
- Iranian president: Iran isn't seeking war against any nation
- O.J. Simpson’s Twitter allegedly threatened parody account using knife emojis
- The Latest: Hong Kong leader Lam to speak at news conference
- Man arrested at New York airport for allegedly smuggling 34 live song birds hidden inside plastic hair curlers
- Court-martial begins for Navy SEAL accused of war crimes
- Japan pushes 300 North Korean boats out of fishing grounds
- Ants march out of carry-on, ground United Airlines flight at Newark
- Seoul: 2 North Korean fishermen defect to South Korea
- Cruz blasts John Cusack over tweet critics slammed as anti-Semitic
- ‘Why don’t you die,’ Texas mother allegedly says while sitting on 4-month-old: report
- Jon Stewart rips McConnell: You only see the 9/11 victims fund as a 'political pawn'
- Attorney: Officer who shot 3 in Costco was attacked first
- South Carolina pastor, buddy killed in DUI accident while helping to change a flat tire: cops
- Nuclear changes, more troops heighten US-Iran tensions
- Janel Parrish Dishes On Returning As Mona In 'PLL: The Perfectionists' & How Married Life Is Going
- 'Murphy Brown' Closes Out Season 1 In Dec.; Nina Dobrev's 'Fam' Set To Take Over Timeslot
- The 'Murphy Brown' Revival Series Will Not Likely Return For A Second Season
- Crystal Hefner Says Her Marriage With Hugh Hefner Wasn't About Sex: 'That Wasn't All That Important' (EXCLUSIVE)
- Baby Stormi Webster Cheers On Travis Scott During His Performance And It's Totally Adorable
- Jenna Dewan Shares Her Daughter's Precious Christmas Letter To Santa
- 'This Is Us' Cast Gets Totally Emotional About Fall Finale's Major Bombshells
- Are Trixie Mattel & Katya Fans Of Online Dating? Check Out This Exclusive Clip From 'UNHhh'
- 'The Voice' Season 15 Has Its Top 10: Who Made It & Who Went Home?
- Is 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' Getting A Sequel? Here's What We Know
- Kristin Cavallari Reflects On Her Brother Michael's Death On The 3 Year Anniversary: 'This Year Is One Of The Hardest'
- Miguel Marries Nazanin Mandi In Secret Ceremony: See Her Gorgeous Wedding Dress!
- LaVar Ball condemned for 'inappropriate' comment to female ESPN host on air
- Kawhi Leonard urged to stay with Toronto Raptors during team's championship parade
- Baltimore Ravens' Michael Pierce owns up to poor conditioning after being booted from practice
- Tyson Fury shows off incredible head movement during Tom Schwarz fight
- Gary Woodland channeled young golfer's 'positive energy' en route to US Open victory
- LeBron James leads Los Angeles Lakers' reactions to reported Anthony Davis trade
- College wrestling star, teammate arrested on suspicion of criminal sexual conduct
- Chicago Cubs' Theo Epstein optimistic Ben Zobrist will return amid divorce
- Julie Ertz's husband, Philadelphia Eagles' Zach Ertz, celebrates wife's first Women's World Cup goal
- Kansas City Chiefs star Travis Kelce opens about Kareem Hunt release: 'It ripped our hearts out'
- David Ortiz's doctors describe life-saving surgery: 'The injuries he had were lethal'
- Toronto Raptors urged by mayor to visit Ottawa over Washington: 'Forget the White House'