WATERVILLE – Bangor native William S. Cohen, Secretary of Defense in the cabinet of President William J. Clinton, is among 10 new members who will be inducted by the Maine Sports Hall of Fame May 5 at its 38th annual banquet at the Augusta Civic Center.
Richard L. Whitmore, President of the Maine Sports Hall of Fame said, “This is a most significant induction for our organization. The life and career of Secretary Cohen are a heartening testimonial to hard work, competitiveness and capability. The Secretary has graciously accepted the honor. We are delighted to add his name to the impressive list of men and women who comprise one of the most outstanding Hall of Fame induction rosters anywhere.”
As a legendary athlete in basketball and baseball at Bangor High School, Cohen was an All-State selection in basketball and a standout pitcher for the Rams.
At Bowdoin College, Cohen continued his career in basketball. He was team captain, an All-State Series selection and among the outstanding college players of the era. He graduated from Bowdoin in 1962.
The signature move for Cohen was his quick release two-hand set shot that confounded opponents at each level.
Always a scholar, Cohen earned a Juris Doctor degree at the Boston University School of Law in 1965. He then launched a storied political career, starting with election as Mayor of Bangor. He was a three-term Congressman, three-term Senator and Secretary of Defense under President Clinton.
Among the many honors related to his service is the “TEDDY” award presented by the NCAA to leaders in the United States who have excelled in all aspects of their lives at the highest level. Five U.S. Presidents have received this prestigious distinction.
Also, Secretary Cohen was named to the Silver Anniversary Five of the National Association of Basketball Coaches in 1987 with John Havlicek, Billy Packer, Terry Dischinger and Dave DeBusscherre.
The 2013 induction ceremony and banquet will begin promptly at noon. Tickets are available from the Maine Sports Hall of Fame website ticket area or by calling Kelly Pinney at 207-680-6914.
- Downeast Horizons residents treated to lumberjack show
- Astronomy center marking moon landing's 50th anniversary
- Hospital officials, nurses at odds over contract
- Bangor police investigating window smashings
- Grower: Strawberry crop 'very, very good'
- Tribute to Bangor attorney raises $10,000 to fight cancer
- Humane society offers pet safety tips during heatwave
- Augusta police seeking Quick Mart robber
- Gouldsboro man accused of stealing, burning SUV
- Man arrested after Waldo stabbing
- Guilty verdict in trial of Lewiston man
- Rollover ties up traffic on I-95
- Lincoln Loon Festival returns
- Robbery suspect accused of witness tampering
- Lane closure on Main Street due to construction
- Hudson teen dies in crash
- 'Modern Family' star Sarah Hyland responds to Instagram troll who criticized engagement ring videos
- Apollo 11: Original Moon landing recordings bought for $217 in 1976 sold at auction for $1.82M
- Hungary backs Trump on asylum crackdown as it touts its own border success
- Legionnaires' disease bacteria found in Maine water district samples, state CDC says
- On Apollo 11 anniversary, Pence announces that Orion capsule for manned Moon missions is ready for debut flight
- Mike Pence: We’re heading back to the moon and then on to Mars
- Dan Gainor: Media convict of Trump of racism and moon program of sexism
- #Behonest: Canada airport kiosk relies on the honesty of customers
- South Dakota woman survives freak lawn mower accident that left her neck sliced open
- Rare albino porcupine spotted at Maine museum
- NASA chief: Future Artemis Moon missions will build on Apollo 11’s incredible legacy
- Heatwave across US could see feels-like temps reach triple digits this weekend, NWS warns
- Vatican begins examination of bones found in cemetery in a bid to solve mysterious disappearance of girl
- Ohio pharmaceutical distributor accused of flooding Appalachia with opioids
- Trump offers to 'vouch' for A$AP Rocky in call with Swedish PM
- Arizona Dem Kyrsten Sinema joins GOP in push for program that would quickly deport migrants without valid asylum claims
- Puerto Rico's governor goes AWOL as protesters gather outside his residence, US officials call to step down
- Britain warns of 'serious consequences' if Iran doesn't release seized tanker as regime insists it was 'reciprocal' move
- Janel Parrish Dishes On Returning As Mona In 'PLL: The Perfectionists' & How Married Life Is Going
- 'Murphy Brown' Closes Out Season 1 In Dec.; Nina Dobrev's 'Fam' Set To Take Over Timeslot
- The 'Murphy Brown' Revival Series Will Not Likely Return For A Second Season
- Crystal Hefner Says Her Marriage With Hugh Hefner Wasn't About Sex: 'That Wasn't All That Important' (EXCLUSIVE)
- Baby Stormi Webster Cheers On Travis Scott During His Performance And It's Totally Adorable
- Jenna Dewan Shares Her Daughter's Precious Christmas Letter To Santa
- 'This Is Us' Cast Gets Totally Emotional About Fall Finale's Major Bombshells
- Are Trixie Mattel & Katya Fans Of Online Dating? Check Out This Exclusive Clip From 'UNHhh'
- 'The Voice' Season 15 Has Its Top 10: Who Made It & Who Went Home?
- Is 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' Getting A Sequel? Here's What We Know
- Kristin Cavallari Reflects On Her Brother Michael's Death On The 3 Year Anniversary: 'This Year Is One Of The Hardest'
- Miguel Marries Nazanin Mandi In Secret Ceremony: See Her Gorgeous Wedding Dress!
- British Open golfer Kyle Stanley refuses to apologize for not yelling ‘Fore’ after wayward shot
- Russian boxer Maksim Dadashev undergoes brain surgery after devastating loss: reports
- Reigning time-trial world champion Rohan Dennis quits Tour de France in midstage
- Massachusetts teens hailed for giving spare Red Sox ticket to homeless man
- Ex-New York Giants offensive lineman Mitch Petrus dies of heat stroke at age 32
- Kansas City Chiefs star Tyreek Hill won't be suspended by NFL over child abuse allegations
- Tiger Woods hints health, 'Father Time', is an issue after first round struggles at The Open: 'Just the way it's going to be'
- Miami Dolphins' Kendrick Norton released from hospital 2 weeks after losing arm in crash
- Man who allegedly stole Super Bowl champion's rings stopped with help from 'Pawn Stars' shop
- Oklahoma City Thunder officials receive threatening voicemail after Paul George trade, police say
- US Open plans to bend rules to make sure they get Coco Gauff
- Ex-UFC fighter Abel 'Killa' Trujillo charged with sexual exploitation of child: reports