BOSTON, Mass. – The City of Boston, Hockey East Association, and Fenway Sports Management (FSM), today announced Frozen Fenway 2014, a two-week series of hockey and ice skating events, including two Division I men's college hockey doubleheaders, and two free public skating days for City of Boston residents.
"Last year, more than 90,000 people came to Fenway Park to watch college and high school hockey or to enjoy free public skating," said Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino. "This generated tens of millions of dollars for local business. I'm confident that top notch outdoor college hockey at Fenway Park will make for another unforgettable experience, drawing fans from across the region and serving as a major platform to showcase the people, culture, and local businesses that make our city special."
"After the success of the Winter Classic in 2010 and the Frozen Fenway college games in 2012, hockey and skating are fast becoming winter traditions at Fenway Park," said FSM President and Red Sox EVP/COO Sam Kennedy. "We welcome back Hockey East and, along with the Mayor, look forward to once again having our beloved ballpark be host to college games, high school games, and to welcome various communities throughout New England to Fenway Park this winter."
There will be a pair of Hockey East doubleheaders in 2014 at Fenway Park. On Saturday, Jan. 4, Merrimack College will play Providence, followed by Notre Dame vs. Boston College. The following weekend on Saturday, Jan. 11, UMass Lowell will face Northeastern, prior to Maine playing Boston University.
It will be Maine's second time participating in Frozen Fenway, as the Black Bears played at Fenway Park in January 2012. Maine defeated New Hampshire 5-4 after Brian Flynn scored just 1:29 into overtime in front of 38,456 fans.
Maine and Boston University have met 119 times in history with the Terriers holding a 58-48-13 lead in the all-time series. The two teams first met during the 1924 season in a game played on an outdoor rink next to the Stillwater River in Orono. Maine has won the last six games played on neutral ice. Both Maine and Boston University will have new head coaches for the 2013-2014 season.
- Tieman murder conviction upheld
- Gas prices going up
- 7th annual Erin's Run set for Sunday
- Maine celebrates arts and culture
- Bill would cement campus free speech rights
- Officials considering future of fire tower
- Fire officials seeking grant for new training center
- Councilors table proposed Styrofoam ban
- Donations sought in memory of Corporal Eugene Cole
- Woman accused of killing Bucksport toddler pleads not guilty
- Dexter police arrest 2 on drug charges
- Bill would give pot retailers access to banks
- Trailer, soda destroyed in turnpike fire
- Child porn, robbery top indictments list
- Brewers release Earth Day-inspired beers
- CMP to increase workforce
- Kennebec County preparing for flooding
- Amal Clooney seeking Islamic State woman for Yazidi crimes
- Kamala Harris calls for third gender option on federal IDs
- White House to fight Dems' subpoena of ex-White House counsel Don McGahn
- Philippines' Duterte gives Canada 1 week to take back garbage or 'we will declare war'
- Cher questions Bernie Sanders for saying Boston bomber deserves right to vote
- Parents arrested in California after toddler sons found in cages
- The Latest: No verdict yet in trial over deadly tunnel dig
- NY jury hears conflicting portrayals of fake German heiress
- Timpf: Impeachment would make the president 'more popular'
- Trump holds meeting with Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey at the White House
- Pennsylvania woman killed following 'horrible' meat grinder incident: official
- Acting DHS chief predicts a lot of progress building southern border wall despite Congressional inaction
- Brazilian court reduces sentence of ex-president da Silva
- Bronx Republican preparing 2020 run against 'Bolshevik' Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- Texas woman receives gonorrhea diagnosis after rash erupts on hands, body
- NYC reaches $1 million settlement with toxicologist
- 2020 candidates pushing pot legalization on campaign trail
- 'The Young and the Restless' honors Kristoff St. John with 'emotional' 4-episode story arc
- Janel Parrish Dishes On Returning As Mona In 'PLL: The Perfectionists' & How Married Life Is Going
- 'Murphy Brown' Closes Out Season 1 In Dec.; Nina Dobrev's 'Fam' Set To Take Over Timeslot
- The 'Murphy Brown' Revival Series Will Not Likely Return For A Second Season
- Crystal Hefner Says Her Marriage With Hugh Hefner Wasn't About Sex: 'That Wasn't All That Important' (EXCLUSIVE)
- Baby Stormi Webster Cheers On Travis Scott During His Performance And It's Totally Adorable
- Jenna Dewan Shares Her Daughter's Precious Christmas Letter To Santa
- 'This Is Us' Cast Gets Totally Emotional About Fall Finale's Major Bombshells
- Are Trixie Mattel & Katya Fans Of Online Dating? Check Out This Exclusive Clip From 'UNHhh'
- 'The Voice' Season 15 Has Its Top 10: Who Made It & Who Went Home?
- Is 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' Getting A Sequel? Here's What We Know
- Kristin Cavallari Reflects On Her Brother Michael's Death On The 3 Year Anniversary: 'This Year Is One Of The Hardest'
- Miguel Marries Nazanin Mandi In Secret Ceremony: See Her Gorgeous Wedding Dress!
- Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s mom, Brenda Jackson, dies after cancer battle: ‘She will live forever in our hearts’
- Wyoming college football recruit presumed dead after vanishing while boogie boarding in California: officials
- Fans interrupt lingerie football game, security guards pick up blitz
- NBA fans, reporters rally after reporter receives vile message from Twitter troll targeting daughter
- NBA fans rally after reporter receives awful message from Twitter troll
- Ivy League football star eschewing stability for long-shot NFL bid
- Philadelphia Phillies' Jake Arrieta chides teammate Bryce Harper after ejection
- Antetokounmpo scores 41, leads Bucks to sweep of Detroit
- Klingberg's OT goal pushes Stars over Preds to advance
- Suns fire Igor Kokoskov after 1 losing season
- Odell Beckham Jr. unleashes Giants frustration in epic Twitter rant
- Luke Walton, the ex-Lakers coach, accused of sexual assault by former SportsNet host: report