Douglas W. Brown, M.D. – A specialist in sports medicine, Brown has served as medical consultant to U.S. national soccer teams. From 1994-2000 he was head team physician for the U.S. women’s national team. A native of Waterville, Brown is a 1968 graduate of Bowdoin College where he captained the hockey team.
Richard (Ricky) A. Craven – NASCAR driver and ESPN analyst, Craven began racing at the age of 15 at Unity Raceway. Named Busch North Rookie of the Year in 1990, Craven was also honored in 1995 as NASCAR Winston Cup Rookie the Year. In more than 11 years of competition, he participated in 278 races.
Paula C. Doughty – Field hockey coach at Skowhegan for 31 seasons, Doughty has compiled a record of 438-80-17, including 11 state Class A titles in 12 years. Twice, in 2004 and 2008, she was honored as National High School Coach of the Year. Skowhegan’s 2012 team (18-0) outscored its opponents 147-2. Skowhegan has won 54 consecutive games.
Gary B. Fifield – Women’s basketball coach at the University of Southern Maine, Fifield holds the NCAA Ddivision III record with 30 consecutive years of 20 or more wins. At the conclusion of the 2011-2012 season, he had the highest winning percentage (84.2) among NCAA Division III women’s basketball coaches with five or more seasons of service. His record was 601-113.
John U. Robinson – A national and international power lifting and body-building champion, Robinson has dedicated his life to promoting health and physical fitness. In 1986 he won Mr.World, AAU Body Building Championship (1st place short height class). Why did he start lifting weights? “I got tired of being skinny,” Robinson said.
Robert Russo – Owner of the Portland Boxing Club since the early 1990s, Russo has been selected 14 times as coach for Team New England. He twice served as coach of Regional Team #1 in Lake Placid, N.Y. – an area encompassing New England, New York and New Jersey. In 2008 he was selected as Coach of the Year for USA Boxing/New England.
Paul M. Vachon – Starting point guard in 1973 for Cony High School’s state Class A championship team, Vachon was coach of varsity girls’ basketball at Cony 1985-2008. His teams compiled a record of 451-40, a winning percentage of 91.1. Cony won seven state Class A championships and 11 Eastern Maine titles. Since his retirement from coaching, Vachon has served as athletic administrator at Cony.
Manchester H. Wheeler – A two-way standout at quarterback and safety at the University of Maine 1958-1961, Wheeler led the Black Bears in total offense in his junior and senior years. In his final season, Wheeler averaged 10.09 yards per carry. Drafted by the Buffalo Bills of the American Football League, he also played for the Boston Patriots.
John C. Wolfgram – Wolfgram-coached high school football teams have won 10 gold balls: one at Madison, Class C; three at Gardiner, Class B; four at South Portland, Class A; and two at Cheverus, Class A. Over a span of three seasons, 2010-2012, Cheverus established a state Class A record of 34 consecutive wins. The previous record was 31 by South Portland 1995-1997 when Wolfgram headed the program.
- Event showcases research by Husson students, faculty
- Woman indicted for allegedly threatening Sen. Collins
- Members of Maine's congressional delegation react to Mueller report
- Penobscot County hosts Maine Sheriffs' Association Conference
- Final Color Bangor event takes place next month
- Theater offers camp for kids during vacation week
- Libertarians hold tax protest in Ellsworth
- Legislation aims to lower prescription drug prices
- Bill would give public employees the right to strike
- Richmond man charged after allegedly shooting father
- Mills' school naloxone plan stirs debate
- Manhole replacement affecting Falvey Street traffic
- Sewer work underway on Buck Street
- Blood pressure medication recall expanded over possible cancer-causing ingredient
- Correction: Inmate Assaults-Charges story
- Ecuador orders arrest of former foreign minister
- Notre Dame Cathedral bees survive devastating fire: ‘Our Lady’s bees are still alive’
- Powerful Emirati crown prince entangled by Mueller report
- French Yellow Vest members vow more protests, claim Macron exploiting Notre Dame fire
- Wisconsin brothers accused of years-long sexual abuse of siblings; father blamed ‘raging hormones’
- Rudy Giuliani: Sentence in Mueller report about obstruction ‘turns around 2,000 years of law’
- Middlebury College professor asked students to calculate dose of lethal gas used in Nazi gas chambers
- North Dakota company where 4 were slain seeks normalcy
- George Stephanopoulos presses Sarah Sanders on Mueller report, culture of lying at White House
- Rep. Nadler is mistaken if he thinks he'll find a smoking gun in unredacted report: Tom Dupree
- Britney Spears' father reportedly banned 'Extra' staff member for taking a selfie
- Rashida Tlaib calls for hunger strikes to shut down ICE
- Dan Bongino: Ex-FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe is liable in aftermath of Mueller report
- Malaysia to revive major China-linked property project
- Protesters in Bangladesh after girl is burned to death
- Airline passengers open emergency exit on Utair flight after seeing flames coming from engine
- Janel Parrish Dishes On Returning As Mona In 'PLL: The Perfectionists' & How Married Life Is Going
- 'Murphy Brown' Closes Out Season 1 In Dec.; Nina Dobrev's 'Fam' Set To Take Over Timeslot
- The 'Murphy Brown' Revival Series Will Not Likely Return For A Second Season
- Crystal Hefner Says Her Marriage With Hugh Hefner Wasn't About Sex: 'That Wasn't All That Important' (EXCLUSIVE)
- Baby Stormi Webster Cheers On Travis Scott During His Performance And It's Totally Adorable
- Jenna Dewan Shares Her Daughter's Precious Christmas Letter To Santa
- 'This Is Us' Cast Gets Totally Emotional About Fall Finale's Major Bombshells
- Are Trixie Mattel & Katya Fans Of Online Dating? Check Out This Exclusive Clip From 'UNHhh'
- 'The Voice' Season 15 Has Its Top 10: Who Made It & Who Went Home?
- Is 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' Getting A Sequel? Here's What We Know
- Kristin Cavallari Reflects On Her Brother Michael's Death On The 3 Year Anniversary: 'This Year Is One Of The Hardest'
- Miguel Marries Nazanin Mandi In Secret Ceremony: See Her Gorgeous Wedding Dress!
- Rob Gronkowski has one-word response to denting Super Bowl trophy
- Baltimore Ravens owner commits $100G to help rebuild churches ruined in arson attacks
- Sharks start fast to stay alive, beat Golden Knights 5-2
- UFC fighter says he mistakenly gave blood sample to stranger
- Viral video shows 76ers in a moment of alleged post-flatulence
- Kate Smith’s 'God Bless America' out at Yankee Stadium over racist songs
- Kate Smith’s “God Bless America” out at Yankee Stadium over racist songs
- Tim Anderson's home run and bat flip lead to kerfuffle between White Sox, Royals
- Zion Williamson helps Duke employee with epic gender reveal
- US Women’s National Team turns to app to maintain competitive advantage heading into World Cup
- Colorado Avalanche fan appears to wave kale in support of Cale Makar
- Mueller report's anticipated release brings out Bill Mueller jokes