University of Maine President Paul Ferguson has named Karlton Creech director of athletics, effective Feb. 10.
Creech, 41, currently senior associate director of athletics at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (UNC), will bring 10 years of senior athletics administration experience to UMaine. Creech was one of three finalists invited to interview on campus by the search committee out of a national pool of 68 applicants. The committee, led by Dr. Robert Strong, professor of finance and NCAA faculty representative, consisted of faculty, staff and community partners.
Since 2012, Creech has been UNC senior associate director of athletics, serving as chief of staff and overseeing the department's capital projects, human resources and facilities. From 2004-12, he was associate executive director for UNC's Educational Foundation Inc., where he managed capital projects (including coordination of the $88 million football stadium expansion), the Annual Fund, marketing, fundraising and ticket sales programs, as well as donor stewardship and development. He also worked for the Student-Aid Association at North Carolina State University from 2001-04, coordinating ticket sales and fundraising.
“I am so pleased that Karlton will be joining the UMaine leadership team,” said President Ferguson. “He brings to us a remarkable record of athletics leadership and management at the University of North Carolina, one of our nation's great public research universities. His level of professionalism, coupled to his strong experience in fundraising and management, will no doubt move Black Bear Athletics to new levels of excellence and community engagement.
“I look forward to welcoming Karlton and his wife, Staci, to campus this spring,” President Ferguson added. “I want to especially thank Seth Woodcock for his superb service as interim AD, as well as the entire Athletics Department for their dedicated work during this interim period. I am enthusiastic about their partnership with Karlton.”
Creech, a native of Chapel Hill, received a bachelor of arts degree in political science from North Carolina State University and will complete a master of arts degree in management and leadership from Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va., in 2014. His wife, Staci, a Pennsylvania native who attended UNC on a golf scholarship, received a bachelor of arts in elementary education and currently teaches at the elementary level.
“I am thrilled to be named the next director of athletics at the University of Maine,” Creech said. “It will truly be a privilege to serve the student-athletes, coaches and staff of UMaine Athletics.
“I would like to thank President Ferguson for entrusting me with the responsibility to lead UMaine Athletics. President Ferguson's Blue Sky thinking is inspiring, and I look forward to partnering in the achievement of his vision for the University of Maine to become the most distinctively student-centered and community-engaged of the American Research Universities.
“Staci and I are proud to be the newest members of the UMaine family, and we are eager to build strong relationships throughout the community.”
- Wednesday will be a beautiful day to see Bangor from the top of the Thomas Hill Standpipe
- PCHC receives grant money for overdose-reversing medication
- Another record year for the Maine Lottery
- Skowhegan man sentenced for possessing child porn
- New York City man charged after Verona Island drug bust
- Lagrange father, son arrested on drug charges
- Search on for missing Knox County man
- County woman arrested twice in a week on drug charges
- Bangor officials pave way for recreational pot shops
- Bangor officials getting ready for changes to trash handling
- Longtime Bangor councilor resigns
- Humane agents seize 80 animals in need of 'urgent' care
- Detour set for Thomas Hill Standpipe tours
- Brewer man dies in motorcycle crash
- Police identify woman pinned by vehicle
- Merchants Plaza closed to traffic, parking
- Road work affecting Hammond Street
- Sheriff's deputies investigating fatal Eddington incident
- Orrington standoff suspects appear in court
- Maine Game Warden charged after alleged Bangor assault
- Environmental protesters glue themselves to tunnels under Capitol
- Doug Schoen: Mueller testimony won’t lead to Trump’s impeachment
- Georgia police dog shot and killed by deputy during pursuit, sheriff says
- DOJ opens sweeping antitrust review of big tech giants, saying they may work against consumers
- Brooklyn man accused of immigration fraud, submitting hundreds of faked applications: DOJ
- Prince Harry dances with Dr. Jane Goodall at Windsor Castle
- New York City police union urges tougher punishments for harassers after viral videos surface
- Von Spakovsky and Stimson: Crisis in immigration courts demands urgent action – here’s what to do
- Houston day care bus driver charged over death of 3-year-old in 113-degree vehicle
- Most Americans say low trust in federal government makes it difficult to solve problems
- McCain clashes with Beto over 'extreme' comparison between Nuremberg and Trump rally
- Russia confirms joint air patrol with China after South Korea claims airspace violation
- Hebrew inscriptions exposed for the first time since historic synagogue was destroyed in the Holocaust
- PolitiFact stands by AOC 'parking lot' fact-check after online mockery
- Charlotte lawmakers float backing out of hosting Republican convention
- 9/11 victims' fund bill passes Senate, ending months of doubts for 'ecstatic' first responders
- Giant panda electrocuted at Scottish zoo as horrified families watch
- Surveillance footage offers more clues in Savannah Spurlock case
- Janel Parrish Dishes On Returning As Mona In 'PLL: The Perfectionists' & How Married Life Is Going
- 'Murphy Brown' Closes Out Season 1 In Dec.; Nina Dobrev's 'Fam' Set To Take Over Timeslot
- The 'Murphy Brown' Revival Series Will Not Likely Return For A Second Season
- Crystal Hefner Says Her Marriage With Hugh Hefner Wasn't About Sex: 'That Wasn't All That Important' (EXCLUSIVE)
- Baby Stormi Webster Cheers On Travis Scott During His Performance And It's Totally Adorable
- Jenna Dewan Shares Her Daughter's Precious Christmas Letter To Santa
- 'This Is Us' Cast Gets Totally Emotional About Fall Finale's Major Bombshells
- Are Trixie Mattel & Katya Fans Of Online Dating? Check Out This Exclusive Clip From 'UNHhh'
- 'The Voice' Season 15 Has Its Top 10: Who Made It & Who Went Home?
- Is 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' Getting A Sequel? Here's What We Know
- Kristin Cavallari Reflects On Her Brother Michael's Death On The 3 Year Anniversary: 'This Year Is One Of The Hardest'
- Miguel Marries Nazanin Mandi In Secret Ceremony: See Her Gorgeous Wedding Dress!
- Ex-Mets, Yankees pitcher Dwight Gooden arrested for second time in six weeks, says he'll enter rehab
- Cleveland Indians’ Lindor calls on MLB to extend protective netting after his foul ball hospitalizes toddler
- Russian boxer Maxim Dadashev, 28, dead after suffering brain injuries in first loss, reports say
- Women’s soccer champ Rose Lavelle meets Rose Lavelle: 'Hopefully everyone will forget about old Rose Lavelle'
- Soccer superstar Lionel Messi stuns English boy, 11, play pickup game during beach vacation
- Zion Williamson is latest to drop off Team USA roster, amid minor injury, conditioning concerns
- Spurs great Tim Duncan returns to team as assistant coach under Popovich
- Cowboys, Yankees tops as Forbes releases list of most valuable sports franchises
- Soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo won't face criminal charges over rape claims, prosecutors say
- Many online condemn Tom Brady for viral post diving with daughter
- Shaquille O’Neal gets rowdy in mosh pit at Tomorrowland music festival
- Michigan's Harbaugh comes up with new idea after taking fire for saying players could lie about mental health