Bangor, ME - Husson softball held off Johnson State Tuesday in a North Atlantic Conference quarterfinal to secure hosting this weekend's double-elimination tournament with the three other remaining teams in the field.
The Eagles used strong pitching from starter Amanda Ryan and a shutout relief appearance from Becca McCarty to entered the game in the third inning with one out. Ryan allowed the Badgers' lone run and struck out six while McCarty completely shut down JSC striking out four and not allowing a baserunner in the final two and two-thirds.
In the top of the third the Badgers knotted the game at one on a big Andrea Williams double, helping her own cause, that scored Katja Langmaid.
In the bottom half the Eagles put three more on the board to go up 4-1. Courtney Hill reached first on a single towards the pitcher, stole second and advanced to third on a passed ball. Aimee Mortensen then drove in the senior right fielder on a double into left center. Mortensen then switched places with Sami Schultz as she doubled to left as well, making the score 3-1. Allison Hill pinch ran for Schultz and advanced to third on a Victoria Overlock single and scored on a fielding error in left.
After an Overlock single up the middle in the bottom of the fourth that scored Courtney Hill, Colpitts added a single of her own that resulted in a throwing error, scoring Overlock and Mortensen. With Colpitts on third due to the error, Heidi Shaw reached on an error by the third basemen that allowed Colpitts to score as well.
The Eagles needed only one more run in the bottom of the fifth to secure the eight-run rule deficit and win the game. Lona Sargent singled to the left side, stole second, advanced to third on a an error and scored on a passed ball four for Mortensen.
Williams was charged with the loss for the Badgers and McCarty picked up the win for Husson.
Check back to HussonEagles.com for more information in the coming days about the NAC tournament to be held at Husson's O'Keefe Field.
- Brewers release Earth Day-inspired beers
- CMP to increase workforce
- Kennebec County preparing for flooding
- Buck Street sewer repairs affecting traffic
- Man killed by Amtrak train in Biddeford
- Bangor church bells ring for Notre Dame
- "Hot Stove" event connects locals and lawmakers
- Jackson Lab to hire 300 new employees
- Officials warn of scammers posing as Emera workers
- Ellsworth PD investigating spread of counterfeit cash
- Bar Harbor murder trial to begin in May
- School food sharing table bill presented
- Criterion Theatre gets grant funding
- Event showcases research by Husson students, faculty
- Woman indicted for allegedly threatening Sen. Collins
- Members of Maine's congressional delegation react to Mueller report
- Pelosi faces mounting Trump impeachment pressure from Dem ranks after Mueller report
- Report: Over 4,300 vacate Syria displaced camp
- Jerusalem says it will "fix" bigoted fliers found in schools
- Sri Lanka Easter bombing culprits remain elusive as no militant groups step up to claim responsibilty
- Video released of suspect in 2017 killings of Indiana girls
- Delphi murder investigation features new sketch, background on 'heartless' killer of 2 Indiana girls
- Hailey Baldwin fires back at critics: 'Am I not allowed to be grateful?'
- John Sununu on pushing for Trump impeachment: “Democrats are going to make a serious, serious mistake”
- Sanders tops Biden in New Hampshire poll, as Buttigieg surges
- Cathay Pacific Airlines catches crew stealing booze, cutlery during spot checks
- Border security should be left up to the experts, vigilantes need to follow the law: Border Patrol Council official
- Joseph diGenova and Victoria Toensing: Trump was vindicated by Mueller report – here's what needs to happen next
- Florida man accused of building pipe bomb, posting video of it to Facebook
- Patricia Heaton slams MSNBC for 'ambushing' Robert Mueller, criticizes media for Sri Lanka Easter massacre coverage
- Wrestling coach accused of ignoring hazing pleads not guilty
- Hiker discovers cute 'abandoned puppy,' gets big surprise
- 'Today' meteorologist Dylan Dreyer reveals miscarriage
- Sri Lanka bombings on Easter Sunday claim lives of 3 of Danish billionaire Anders Holch Povlsen's children
- Janel Parrish Dishes On Returning As Mona In 'PLL: The Perfectionists' & How Married Life Is Going
- 'Murphy Brown' Closes Out Season 1 In Dec.; Nina Dobrev's 'Fam' Set To Take Over Timeslot
- The 'Murphy Brown' Revival Series Will Not Likely Return For A Second Season
- Crystal Hefner Says Her Marriage With Hugh Hefner Wasn't About Sex: 'That Wasn't All That Important' (EXCLUSIVE)
- Baby Stormi Webster Cheers On Travis Scott During His Performance And It's Totally Adorable
- Jenna Dewan Shares Her Daughter's Precious Christmas Letter To Santa
- 'This Is Us' Cast Gets Totally Emotional About Fall Finale's Major Bombshells
- Are Trixie Mattel & Katya Fans Of Online Dating? Check Out This Exclusive Clip From 'UNHhh'
- 'The Voice' Season 15 Has Its Top 10: Who Made It & Who Went Home?
- Is 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' Getting A Sequel? Here's What We Know
- Kristin Cavallari Reflects On Her Brother Michael's Death On The 3 Year Anniversary: 'This Year Is One Of The Hardest'
- Miguel Marries Nazanin Mandi In Secret Ceremony: See Her Gorgeous Wedding Dress!
- Dallas Cowboys laid a trap for a leaker and an executive just revealed how the operation went down
- DISH Network subcontractor accused of putting customer in 'bear hug' after finishing repairs
- Oakland Athletics turn wild double play starting with home run robbery
- Philadelphia Flyers remove Kate Smith statue, New York Yankees halt her 'God Bless America' amid controversy
- Golden State Warriors guard Klay Thompson reveals what sparked clutch 32-point performance in Game 4 win
- Ex-college football coach Tommy Tuberville reveals why he will run for Alabama Senate against Doug Jones
- Warriors beat LA 113-105, take 3-1 series lead to Bay Area
- Hertl lifts Sharks past Vegas 2-1 in 20T to force Game 7
- Marchand helps Bruins beat Maple Leafs 4-2 to force Game 7
- Matthew Stafford’s wife recovering from brain surgery, learning her ‘new normal’
- Yankees star Aaron Judge sidelined with 'pretty significant strain' - same injury that ended season in 2016
- Philadelphia 76ers star Joel Embiid calls Brooklyn Nets' Jared Dudley 'a nobody' after on-court scrum