Castleton, VT - Husson baseball won their first game in the NAC double-elimination final four tournament on Friday afternoon, besting the #3 seed Chargers of Colby-Sawyer College 1-0.
Brandon Reilly pitched all nine shutout innings for the Eagles allowing eight hits and a walk while fanning five Chargers. Reilly was masterful all afternoon keeping Colby-Sawyer innings short and uneventful by not allowing no more than two hits in a frame. Brandon finished the day throwing 117 pitches, 78 of them for strikes, to earn the win.
CSC threatened a couple of times early on to no avail, with runners in scoring position in the second and third innings but they would be left stranded after a double play and two fly outs.
On the other side, Colby-Sawyer's starter Kevin Keith was equally as impressive, throwing all eight innings for the. Keith the one Husson run, earned, on just six hits while striking out four. Keith threw just 94 pitches with 64 of them good for strikes.
The Green and Gold scored the only run of the game in the bottom of the eighth inning. Cody McInnis singled to centerfield with one out and Pat Thibodeau singled into right to move McInnis to second. Dylan Foster flied out to center to bring up Shawn Smith with two outs. The senior captain came up big for the Eagles as he singled to right field scoring Cody McInnis for the 1-0 lead.
In the top of the ninth Sean Gavin reached on a hit to right as Shawn McCarthy pinch ran for him. McCarthy advanced to second on a sac bunt by Rob Wallce. In the next at bat, Reilly for Husson threw a pitch in the dirt that bounced in front of the catcher Jordan Carter. McCarthy chose to try and swipe third on the play, but Carter threw him out at third to clear the bases with two down. Reilly recorded the third out from the next Charger who flied out to right.
With the win Husson now moves into the winners bracket of the double-elimination tournament to take on Thomas College who defeated Castleton earlier in the day 12-6 in game one. For game times and NAC Tournament news keep it locked to HussonEagles.com and NACathletics.com.
VIA Husson Athletics
- Tieman murder conviction upheld
- Gas prices going up
- 7th annual Erin's Run set for Sunday
- Maine celebrates arts and culture
- Bill would cement campus free speech rights
- Officials considering future of fire tower
- Fire officials seeking grant for new training center
- Councilors table proposed Styrofoam ban
- Donations sought in memory of Corporal Eugene Cole
- Woman accused of killing Bucksport toddler pleads not guilty
- Dexter police arrest 2 on drug charges
- Bill would give pot retailers access to banks
- Trailer, soda destroyed in turnpike fire
- Child porn, robbery top indictments list
- Brewers release Earth Day-inspired beers
- CMP to increase workforce
- Kennebec County preparing for flooding
- Cher questions Bernie Sanders for saying Boston bomber deserves right to vote
- Parents arrested in California after toddler sons found in cages
- The Latest: No verdict yet in trial over deadly tunnel dig
- NY jury hears conflicting portrayals of fake German heiress
- Timpf: Impeachment would make the president 'more popular'
- Trump holds meeting with Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey at the White House
- Pennsylvania woman killed following 'horrible' meat grinder incident: official
- Acting DHS chief predicts a lot of progress building southern border wall despite Congressional inaction
- Brazilian court reduces sentence of ex-president da Silva
- Bronx Republican preparing 2020 run against 'Bolshevik' Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- Texas woman receives gonorrhea diagnosis after rash erupts on hands, body
- NYC reaches $1 million settlement with toxicologist
- 2020 candidates pushing pot legalization on campaign trail
- 'The Young and the Restless' honors Kristoff St. John with 'emotional' 4-episode story arc
- Meghan McCain and Whoopi Goldberg clash over voting rights for Boston bomber: 'He is a terrorist!'
- Patient's request for pizza on hospital window gets great response
- Migrants fearful after hundreds arrested in Mexico raid
- Fires at Missouri city hall, police station, ex-mayor's home have some suspecting cover-up, others hate crime
- Janel Parrish Dishes On Returning As Mona In 'PLL: The Perfectionists' & How Married Life Is Going
- 'Murphy Brown' Closes Out Season 1 In Dec.; Nina Dobrev's 'Fam' Set To Take Over Timeslot
- The 'Murphy Brown' Revival Series Will Not Likely Return For A Second Season
- Crystal Hefner Says Her Marriage With Hugh Hefner Wasn't About Sex: 'That Wasn't All That Important' (EXCLUSIVE)
- Baby Stormi Webster Cheers On Travis Scott During His Performance And It's Totally Adorable
- Jenna Dewan Shares Her Daughter's Precious Christmas Letter To Santa
- 'This Is Us' Cast Gets Totally Emotional About Fall Finale's Major Bombshells
- Are Trixie Mattel & Katya Fans Of Online Dating? Check Out This Exclusive Clip From 'UNHhh'
- 'The Voice' Season 15 Has Its Top 10: Who Made It & Who Went Home?
- Is 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' Getting A Sequel? Here's What We Know
- Kristin Cavallari Reflects On Her Brother Michael's Death On The 3 Year Anniversary: 'This Year Is One Of The Hardest'
- Miguel Marries Nazanin Mandi In Secret Ceremony: See Her Gorgeous Wedding Dress!
- Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s mom, Brenda Jackson, dies after cancer battle: ‘She will live forever in our hearts’
- Wyoming college football recruit presumed dead after vanishing while boogie boarding in California: officials
- Fans interrupt lingerie football game, security guards pick up blitz
- NBA fans, reporters rally after reporter receives vile message from Twitter troll targeting daughter
- NBA fans rally after reporter receives awful message from Twitter troll
- Ivy League football star eschewing stability for long-shot NFL bid
- Philadelphia Phillies' Jake Arrieta chides teammate Bryce Harper after ejection
- Antetokounmpo scores 41, leads Bucks to sweep of Detroit
- Klingberg's OT goal pushes Stars over Preds to advance
- Suns fire Igor Kokoskov after 1 losing season
- Odell Beckham Jr. unleashes Giants frustration in epic Twitter rant
- Luke Walton, the ex-Lakers coach, accused of sexual assault by former SportsNet host: report