LOWELL, Mass. -- The University of Maine baseball team fell to Stony Brook 4-1 in the opening round of the 2014 America East Tournament on Thursday afternoon at LeLacheur Park in Lowell, Mass. Colin Gay (Franklin, Massachusetts) and Scott Heath (Westbrook, Maine) each had a pair of hits in the game for the Black Bears.
Maine falls to 24-28 on the season with the loss, while Stony Brook improves to 34-16.
Sam Balzano (Portland, Maine) led off the game with a single up the middle and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Colin Gay. He scored when Scott Heath (Westbrook, Maine) followed with an RBI single.
Stony Brook tied the game at 1-1 in the bottom of the frame. Jack Parenty had a single and moved to second on an error and third on a sacrifice bunt. He tied the game when Kevin Krause grounded out.
Stony Brook took the lead in the bottom of the second inning. Casey Baker doubled to right center field and scored when Anthony Italiano doubled down the left field line.
The Seawolves added to their lead in the bottom of the sixth inning. Kevin Courtney was hit by a pitch, moved to second on a passed ball and scored when Casey Baker singled to left field. Stony Brook made it a 4-1 game in the bottom of the eighth inning. Kevin Courtney singled to right field and scored when Baker reached on a fielder's choice.
Tommy Lawrence (West Haven, Connecticut) got the start on the mound for the Black Bears. He went eight innings and allowed four runs, three of which were earned, on nine hits. He struck out seven batters in the game for the Black Bears. He falls to 8-5 on the season. Lawrence has 97 strikeouts on the season, the third most in a single season in Maine history.
Frankie Vanderka allowed one run on eight hits for the Seawolves. He struck out six batters and improves to 4-5 on the season.
Maine returns to action when it faces the loser of the Hartford vs. Binghamton game on Friday, May 23 at 2 PM at LeLacheur Park in Lowell.
- Grill fire spreads, destroys Parkman home
- Police investigating after body found in Augusta apartment
- Elderly woman killed in parking lot accident
- Attorney for accused murderer to ask state to drop charges
- Bangor PD's newest K9 team hits the streets
- PCHC reports possible data breach
- Bangor police seeking leads on vandalism cases
- Census Bureau: Mailing to Fairfield resident 'legit'
- Trial for man accused in stabbing death underway
- Orrington residents approve new $2.8M public safety building
- Fire and arc flash reported at Nine Dragons Paper in Old Town
- Accused murderer of 10-year-old girl to change plea
- State forest ranger suffers serious injuries
- Police issue census scam warning
- Public safety building referendum underway
- UPDATE: No injuries in Old Town mill fire
- No daytime parking Tuesday on Columbia Street
- Andy Puzder: Raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour and families will have less money. Why Dems should worry
- Orange County reached settlement that allows cops to arrest homeless people in some areas
- North Carolina man clad only in tennis shoes told deputies he took ‘date rape’ drug: police
- Feds confirm ‘Ice Bae’ is a CBP officer, is free to use social media
- Pakistan arrests US-wanted terror suspect in Mumbai attacks
- Were the Vikings smoking pot while exploring Newfoundland?
- Front porch envy: 10 affordable ideas for making the neighbors jealous
- House orders Pentagon to reveal whether it turned ticks into biological weapons
- Trump’s harsh attacks produce the debate he wants, on Socialist Democrats
- Marc Thiessen: Dems are party of illegal immigration – Say Trump isn’t above law, but illegal immigrants are
- Utah boy selling ‘ice cold beer’ appears to be a savvy marketer
- Alyssa Milano raises eyebrows after announcing which candidate's fundraiser she'll be attending
- California police officer, veteran died in his sleep at 36: police
- Ocasio-Cortez gets new 2020 challenger: a Republican immigrant from Jamaica
- Ingraham on AOC's America versus Trump's
- Virginia woman contracts flesh-eating infection, has emergency surgery after 10 minutes swimming at local beach
- Porch pirate steals medicine from heart transplant recipient's door-step: report
- Ben Shapiro: America 'less ambitious' about space travel in 50 years since Apollo 11 launch
- Janel Parrish Dishes On Returning As Mona In 'PLL: The Perfectionists' & How Married Life Is Going
- 'Murphy Brown' Closes Out Season 1 In Dec.; Nina Dobrev's 'Fam' Set To Take Over Timeslot
- The 'Murphy Brown' Revival Series Will Not Likely Return For A Second Season
- Crystal Hefner Says Her Marriage With Hugh Hefner Wasn't About Sex: 'That Wasn't All That Important' (EXCLUSIVE)
- Baby Stormi Webster Cheers On Travis Scott During His Performance And It's Totally Adorable
- Jenna Dewan Shares Her Daughter's Precious Christmas Letter To Santa
- 'This Is Us' Cast Gets Totally Emotional About Fall Finale's Major Bombshells
- Are Trixie Mattel & Katya Fans Of Online Dating? Check Out This Exclusive Clip From 'UNHhh'
- 'The Voice' Season 15 Has Its Top 10: Who Made It & Who Went Home?
- Is 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' Getting A Sequel? Here's What We Know
- Kristin Cavallari Reflects On Her Brother Michael's Death On The 3 Year Anniversary: 'This Year Is One Of The Hardest'
- Miguel Marries Nazanin Mandi In Secret Ceremony: See Her Gorgeous Wedding Dress!
- Italian cyclist, 17, suffers gruesome injury during crash in Belgium race
- Texas says 10-win season not enough to be 'back' in Big 12
- Lawyer sentenced to 5 years for scamming Barkley, others
- Legal sports betting begins in upstate New York
- Bezuidenhout seeks Portrush 'revenge' after beta-blocker ban
- Woods trying to get up to speed for final major of year
- New York's Yankee Stadium hit by swarm of 25,000 bees before game
- NFL stars Keenan Allen, DeMarcus Lawrence blast 'Madden' over their player rating
- Tom Brady campaigns for better 'Madden' speed rating
- Washington Redskins' Alex Smith ditches leg brace 8 months after gruesome injury
- Seattle Seahawks' Griffin brothers open up about inseparable bond that carried them to pro football
- Phil Mickelson fasts for 6 days, loses 15 pounds ahead of Open Championship