ORONO, Maine -- Eve L'Abbé (Laval, Quebec) and Maggie Malone (Halifax, Nova Scotia) tallied goals as the University of Maine women's soccer team downed Central Connecticut State University 2-1 on Tuesday afternoon at Alumni Field in the home opener. The Black Bears improve to 3-0-0 on the season with the victory. It is the first time since 2004 that the Black Bears have started the season 3-0-0.
Maine took a 1-0 lead at 14:26 when Eve L'Abbé received the ball outside the box. She took a few strides and fired the ball into the net, just below the cross bar. For L'Abbé, it was her second goal of the season, as she netted the game-winning goal in overtime in the season opener against Holy Cross.
CCSU had a great chance when a shot by Jewel Robinson hit the cross bar and a Blue Devil hit the rebound just wide. The Black Bears took a 1-0 lead into intermission.
After back-and-forth action to start the second half, Maine extended its lead at 66:44. Malone received a pass in her offensive zone. She took a few strides looking to pass the ball, but had a wide-open lane to the goal. She fired a shot into the right corner of the net for her first goal of the season, giving the Black Bears a 2-0 lead.
CCSU broke Maine's shutout streak at 266:57 when Robinson passed to Kerriann Welch, who shot the ball into the lower corner of the goal, beating Maine keeper Lauren Swant (Oakville, Ontario) at 86:32. It was the first goal that Maine has allowed all season, as the Black Bears posted shutouts in their first two matches.
CCSU finished the game with a 15-9 edge in shots on goal. Swant was impressive in goal, making a career-high nine saves in the victory. She improves to 3-0-0 on the season. Nikola Deiter stopped four shots for the Blue Devils, who dropped their season-opener.
Maine has a week off before returning to action on Friday, Sept. 6 when they travel to UConn for a game against the Huskies. Kick off is scheduled for 5 PM.
- Hey Bangor: Did you handle a bat last weekend?
- Bill would tighten OUI laws
- Hey Bangor: Did you handle a bat last weekend?
- Students get glimpse into criminal justice system
- Police charge man with assaulting infant son
- Preliminary report on Presque Isle plane crash
- Man indicted on child sex charges
- Man sentenced for stealing cruiser in escape attempt
- Cancer patients need drivers
- Skowhegan Maple Festival opens Friday
- TRIO, Gear Up in spotlight at State House
- Bill seeks to raise ambulance reimbursements
- Mayo Regional, Northern Lights merger advancing
- Wood boiler likely cause of farm fire
- OOB murder suspect appears in court
- Downs to be held without bail
- Patriots owner Kraft says ‘I am truly sorry’ in first public comments since prostitution bust
- Will House Democrats continue to investigate Trump once the findings of the Mueller report are released?
- Andrew McCarthy: We need full disclosure of Mueller report and material about his investigation
- Kelly Ripa taunts daughter Lola after she ‘reports’ video of dad Mark Consuelos’ abs
- 'It was very close to an abort': How the nerve-wracking final seconds of the Apollo 11 Moon landing unfolded
- 5,000 nationalists protest corruption in Ukraine
- Rafi Eitan, leader of Israeli spy mission to capture Nazi Adolph Eichmann, dies at 92
- Mexican officials pick up 21 lost migrants south of Texas
- 115 reported dead after attack on central Malian village
- Florida detectives investigate massage parlor murder, seek person of interest
- Mark Morgan says after working for Mueller for 12 years he knows no stone was left unturned in his investigation
- The Latest: 100 people evacuated from cruise ship off Norway
- Former prosecutor says the Mueller report could show evidence of wrong doing even without collusion indictments
- Former congressman says the White House should be celebrating that Mueller has issued no collusion indictments
- Rep. Dan Kildee says nobody should be wishing for bad news to come out of the Mueller report
- Clashes among government-aligned forces in Yemen's kill 6
- White House declares an end to the Islamic State in Syria
- Backlash over Barbra Streisand’s Michael Jackson sexual abuse comments deepens: ‘I feel sick’
- Janel Parrish Dishes On Returning As Mona In 'PLL: The Perfectionists' & How Married Life Is Going
- 'Murphy Brown' Closes Out Season 1 In Dec.; Nina Dobrev's 'Fam' Set To Take Over Timeslot
- The 'Murphy Brown' Revival Series Will Not Likely Return For A Second Season
- Crystal Hefner Says Her Marriage With Hugh Hefner Wasn't About Sex: 'That Wasn't All That Important' (EXCLUSIVE)
- Baby Stormi Webster Cheers On Travis Scott During His Performance And It's Totally Adorable
- Jenna Dewan Shares Her Daughter's Precious Christmas Letter To Santa
- 'This Is Us' Cast Gets Totally Emotional About Fall Finale's Major Bombshells
- Are Trixie Mattel & Katya Fans Of Online Dating? Check Out This Exclusive Clip From 'UNHhh'
- 'The Voice' Season 15 Has Its Top 10: Who Made It & Who Went Home?
- Is 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' Getting A Sequel? Here's What We Know
- Kristin Cavallari Reflects On Her Brother Michael's Death On The 3 Year Anniversary: 'This Year Is One Of The Hardest'
- Miguel Marries Nazanin Mandi In Secret Ceremony: See Her Gorgeous Wedding Dress!
- Liberty upset over Mississippi State caps NCAA tourney Day 2 action
- ISU says there’s ‘no evidence’ US skater Mariah Bell ‘intended any harm’ to South Korean opponent
- FSU player Phil Cofer is told after game that his father, ex-NFL linebacker, passed away
- NBA star Kevin Durant’s ‘adopted brother,’ 32, shot, killed outside Atlanta-area nightclub
- Wofford's Fletcher Magee sets 3-pointer mark as Terriers top Seton Hall
- NFL paid under $10M to settle Colin Kaepernick grievance
- US figure skater Mariah Bell accused of purposely cutting South Korean opponent at world championships
- Boston Red Sox minor league affiliate plans to 'celebrate' Alex Rodriguez, Jennifer Lopez engagement
- Ichiro Suzuki gets standing ovation as he walks off baseball field for the final time
- Australian rules football star likens photo comments to 'sexual abuse'
- UCLA student never played for soccer club listed on her Bruins' athletic profile, official says
- Trump goalie mask made for youth hockey player draws criticism