ORONO, Maine - University of Maine head baseball coach Steve Trimper has announced the addition of assistant coach John Schiffner. Schiffner joins the Black Bears after most recently completing his 22nd year at the helm of the storied Chatham Anglers of the historic Cape Cod Baseball League (CCBL).
"Having Coach Schiffner join our staff will be an excellent resource for players not only around the game of baseball, but through his expertise as a great mentor," said Trimper. "Coach Schiff is one of the most respected men in baseball, both at the college and professional level. Schiff and I have been close friends for years, and now I am extremely excited and fortunate to have a chance to work beside him and better the Black Bear Baseball program."
Schiffner has had the privilege of coaching over 100 major league players in his career while compiling 479 wins in the CCBL, ranking him as the all-time leader in wins among CCBL managers. Schiffner has dedicated over 30 years to the CCBL, beginning as an assistant coach in 1977.
Schiffner's extensive baseball coaching career began with an assistant role with the Harwich Mariners in 1977 before taking on the same role at Upsala College in 1978. From 1978-82, Schiffner served as an assistant for the Chatham Anglers before working as a scout with the Montreal Expos from 1983-1988. Following his time with the Expos, Schiffner became manager of the New Jersey A's in the Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League in 1989 before taking on his most recent role at the helm of the Chatham A's in 1993.
Schiffner retired from his long-time history teaching tenure in 2012 and finished his high school baseball coaching at Plainfield (CT) in 2011. Schiffner, who served as the Plainfield high school head coach from 1978-2011, guided the team to state tournament appearances in 31 of his 33 years at the helm. In 2001, Schiffner was named American Baseball Coaches Association, District I, Division III National High School Coach of the Year. In 2000, Schiffner was honored as the Connecticut High School Baseball Coach of the Year and ranked sixth in head coaching wins in Connecticut high school baseball history by the end of his career.
Born in Dover, N.J., Schiffner graduated from Providence College in 1977 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in social studies education before achieving his Masters of Science in human relations at Eastern Connecticut State University in 1986. While at Providence College, Schiffner captained the baseball team before playing with the Harwich Mariners in the CCBL.
Schiffner and his wife Martha share their home with their dog Bailey.
- Bangor Savings gift boosts Husson building project
- Woman gets 50 years for killing 4-year-old
- Mom who fed infant tainted milk ordered to drug court
- Road work affecting traffic on Center Street
- Newly elected Gouldsboro selectmen to hire new manager
- Sullivan to purchase land for town office/public safety building
- Governor's holds annual Lobster Roll Day
- Old Palmyra school house destroyed in fire
- Fire destroys Corinna barn
- Bangor council OKs nearly $105 million budget
- Hampden man admits to Bangor credit union robbery
- Puppy who disappeared after owner crashed car is rescued in mountains 13 days later
- 2020 Dem Seth Moulton: Trump 'harder to beat' than party thinks, but right coalition can best him
- Specially trained dogs try to save threatened turtle species
- Gutfeld: Eric Trump spitting incident shows 'politics is now a personal vendetta'
- Virginia Beach city employee starts petition to allow firearms at work after mass shooting
- Israel's UN envoy calls on world to 'declare war' on anti-Semitism
- Doug Schoen: Mueller’s House testimony won’t get Trump impeached – Voters are tired of investigations
- Rush Limbaugh rips Democrats for accusing Trump of killing migrants
- Debate Night: All eyes on Warren as 2020 Dems meet for first showdown
- Prince William says he'd 'fully support' his children if they were gay
- US, India 'working together' amid Iran crisis, despite trade tensions
- Lawmakers seek to rescind Medals of Honor from soldiers at Wounded Knee massacre
- Canadian woman who says she fell critically ill on Dominican Republic vacation says doctor flagged possible poisoning
- Bernie gets testy with MSNBC anchor who asks about bowing out in 2020
- Trump campaign, RNC fire up war room ahead of Democratic debates
- Nashville considers banning electric scooters after death of 26-year-old man
- Husband of aid worker jailed in Iran says his wife is being used as ‘bargaining chip’
- Broward sheriff fires two more deputies for 'neglect of duty' in Parkland shooting response
- Janel Parrish Dishes On Returning As Mona In 'PLL: The Perfectionists' & How Married Life Is Going
- 'Murphy Brown' Closes Out Season 1 In Dec.; Nina Dobrev's 'Fam' Set To Take Over Timeslot
- The 'Murphy Brown' Revival Series Will Not Likely Return For A Second Season
- Crystal Hefner Says Her Marriage With Hugh Hefner Wasn't About Sex: 'That Wasn't All That Important' (EXCLUSIVE)
- Baby Stormi Webster Cheers On Travis Scott During His Performance And It's Totally Adorable
- Jenna Dewan Shares Her Daughter's Precious Christmas Letter To Santa
- 'This Is Us' Cast Gets Totally Emotional About Fall Finale's Major Bombshells
- Are Trixie Mattel & Katya Fans Of Online Dating? Check Out This Exclusive Clip From 'UNHhh'
- 'The Voice' Season 15 Has Its Top 10: Who Made It & Who Went Home?
- Is 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' Getting A Sequel? Here's What We Know
- Kristin Cavallari Reflects On Her Brother Michael's Death On The 3 Year Anniversary: 'This Year Is One Of The Hardest'
- Miguel Marries Nazanin Mandi In Secret Ceremony: See Her Gorgeous Wedding Dress!
- Girl, 2, hit by foul ball at Astros game suffered skull fracture, attorney says
- UFC fighter facing 20 charges in deaths of elderly women in Florida five-car crash
- Pro Bowl cornerback drops by fan's high school graduation party
- Rays owner says shared season with Montreal is best option
- Ex-NFL running back Cierre Wood, girlfriend indicted on murder, 20 child abuse charges
- Kevin Durant declines $31.5M player option with Golden State Warriors: report
- Mark Jackson's views created conflicts with Golden State Warriors management, Andre Iguodala says
- Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh hit in head by ball off son's bat
- Impending NBA free agent DeMarre Carroll says wife will likely choose his next team
- Fans who rushed Cody Bellinger say it was 'worth it,' Dodgers star says antics 'could be dangerous'
- Italy celebrates Women's World Cup win with 'Macarena' after advancing to quarterfinals
- Yanks open with 2 HR, set MLB mark in 4-3 win over Blue Jays