- Created on Monday, 03 December 2012 12:28
During the general managers’ meetings last month, Brian Cashman was asked about his plans for a player recovering from surgery.
"In fairness to him and the significant injury he had, we’re going to put him off to the side,” the Yankees GM said of starting pitcher Michael Pineda, who is coming off shoulder surgery. “His rehab will take him into late May, June. It’s best for us to pretend he’s not even there and then have him sneak up on us. And I hope he does. But I’m not going to count on him. I don’t think that’s going to be fair.
"Our fans need us to put something there you feel good about. I don’t want to put something there to take care of April and May, and then lock in, ‘June on, we’re going to have this guy.’ That would be a mistake.”
So, do the Yankees need to plan for life without Alex Rodriguez?
The answer is yes.
Baseball’s winter meetings witnessed a first-inning shocker Monday morning in the form of a New York Post report that A-Rod is expected to undergo surgery on his left hip. A source later confirmed to our Ken Rosenthal that Rodriguez’s recovery is likely to take from three to six months, which puts him on a timetable comparable to Pineda.
And Cashman should approach Rodriguez’s place on the team in exactly the same way: Forget about the 647 home runs. Forget about the five years and $118 million left on his contract. A-Rod is 37 years old, coming off two middling seasons and headed for hip surgery. The mighty, win-now Yankees have no choice but to plan for a future without him.
San Diego’s Chase Headley would be a nice place to start.
Before Yankees haters howl at this latest instance of the Bronx Assumption — if a small-market team has a talented player, he shall be traded to the Yankees — keep in mind that the Padres would be dealing from a position of strength, not weakness. San Diego GM Josh Byrnes doesn't have to trade Headley, who has two more years before he can become a free agent.
Instead, Byrnes would be selling high and taking advantage of the Yankees’ precarious position. Headley is coming off a career year in which he led the National League with 115 RBI and took home the Gold Glove and Silver Slugger at third base. His value has never been higher.
Trading Headley would not be the same capitulation that dealing hometown favorite Adrian Gonzalez was two years ago. In prospect Jedd Gyorko, the Padres have a major-league-ready third baseman who posted huge offensive numbers in the minors this year.
What would be a fair return for Headley? Well, the Padres need starting pitchers and might be intrigued by a package built around Phil Hughes or David Phelps. Yes, the Yankees would be reluctant to part with their own starters, for obvious reasons. But they could sign a comparable arm, such as Edwin Jackson. There are more starting pitchers than third basemen available via free agency, so it would make sense for the Yankees to obtain the scarcer commodity in a trade.
But this is about A-Rod himself, as much as it is Headley or the overriding market dynamics. A-Rod’s OPS has declined in each of the past five seasons. He has missed more than 100 games combined in the past two years. He used steroids in the past, and now his body appears to be breaking down.
If Cashman can’t count on a 23-year-old pitcher coming off surgery, then he most certainly shouldn’t rely on a 37-year-old whose baseball shape has deteriorated in recent years.
Cashman said it himself: “Our fans need us to put something there you feel good about.”
At this moment, how do those fans feel about Alex Rodriguez as their third baseman . . . for the next five years?
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Governor says he'll be the education commissioner
- Maine filmmakers release romantic comedy
- Sen. King to host opiate discussion in Bangor on Friday
- New business to be geared towards outdoor activities
- Two Maine companies are giving back
- Sen. Harry Reid calls on Grayson to drop out of Senate race
- Barry Manilow rushed to hospital
- Love is... We asked, you answered
- Playboy's first non-nude model Sarah McDaniel may have posed naked anyway
- FBI, foundation controversies missing from Clinton questioning at debate
- Double shooting at Arizona high school, emergency teams respond
- Two girls dead after shooting at Arizona high school
- Two teen girls dead in shooting at Arizona high school
- South Korea cuts off water, power to border area in standoff with North Korea
- Kidnapping trial focuses on whether teenage girl chose to leave home
- Liam Neeson was 'joking' about dating 'incredibly famous' woman
- Infestation of ants removed from girl's ear
- Alyssa Milano thinks 'Charmed' reunion is 'going to happen'
- Florence Henderson talks 'tough' childhood, why she became a hypnotherapist
- Fuel van without driver strikes plane at Boston airport
- HGTV stars release country music song, video 'Hold On'
- Ex-pharma CEO Shkreli offers Kanye West $10M for upcoming album
- Virginia high school nixes 'white guilt' video after criticism
- How impoverished but nuclear-armed North Korea earns money
- US, Russia and UN say Syria fighting 'cessation' to take effect next week
- Ohio police kill man who allegedly attacked people with machete
- At least 4 injured in machete attack at Ohio restaurant
- Does Bernie Sanders really want to win? Three Democratic debate takeaways
- Fear pervasive after Mexican prison riot that killed 49
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50