Boston, MA (SportsNetwork.com) - Bradley Beal scored 12 of his game-high 27 points in the fourth quarter and the Washington Wizards cruised to a 118-102 win over the Boston Celtics on Wednesday to clinch the No.
- Created on Wednesday, 16 April 2014 22:24
5 seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs.
The Wizards (44-38) won their last four games of the regular season for their best record in nine years and will face the Chicago Bulls on the road Sunday in their first playoff game in six years.
The Celtics (25-57) went 3-16 in their last 19 games to finish with their worst record since going 24-58 in 2006-07, the season before they added Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett and won the team's first NBA championship in 22 years.
Trevor Booker scored all 20 of his points in the first half, John Wall added 15 points and nine assists and Marcin Gortat scored 15 with 10 rebounds for the Wizards, who went 2-1 against Chicago in the regular season.
Kelly Olynyk scored 24 points to lead Boston and Jeff Green had 20.
The Wizards shot 56.8 percent for the game, including 60 percent in the fourth quarter, when their lead ballooned as high as 26 and they were able to rest their starters. Neither Wall nor Booker played in the quarter.
Earlier, Wall (13) and Booker (10) combined for 23 points in the first quarter and the Wizards shot almost 67 percent for a 38-24 lead going into the second. They led by as many as 15 following a 14-4 burst led by Gortat's six points.
The Celtics trimmed it to five in the second quarter but the Wizards pushed their advantage back to 15 and led by 12 at halftime, 68-56, behind Booker's 20 points. They extended it to 16 points with a 13-2 run sparked by Gortat's 3-pointer and ended the third quarter with a 91-75 advantage.
If was the Wizards' best record since they went 45-37 in 2004-05 and the first time they won at least 30 games in six seasons. They had a 15-win turnaround in Randy Wittman's second full season as coach.... Washington went 3-1 against Boston this season after getting swept 7-0 the last two seasons. The Wizards won the season series for the first time since 2007-08.
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Governor says he'll be the education commissioner
- Maine filmmakers release romantic comedy
- Sen. King to host opiate discussion in Bangor on Friday
- New business to be geared towards outdoor activities
- Two Maine companies are giving back
- Seven people arrested for dealing heroin and cocaine
- Candidates turn their focus to the next primary in South Carolina
- Attack in Hollis ends in one arrest
- The presidential race has made its way to Maine
- Sanders campaign breaks fundraising efforts as donations average $34
- Body found under frozen lake
- Director of Houlton Shelter Resigns, Police Investigating
- Man arrested for sexual assault, his victim is 11 year old girl
- Bangor Historical Society invites you to make Valentines
- Maine Discovery Museum host February vacation camp
- Maine Audubon is putting on exciting camps for students during February vacation
- Connecticut State Trooper has been shot and killed by a Maine man
- Maine corporation charged with growing marijuana is ordered to pay fine
- Ex-pharma CEO Shkreli offers Kanye West $10M for upcoming album
- Virginia high school nixes 'white guilt' video after criticism
- How impoverished but nuclear-armed North Korea earns money
- US, Russia and UN say Syria fighting 'cessation' to take effect next week
- Ohio police kill man who allegedly attacked people with machete
- At least 4 injured in machete attack at Ohio restaurant
- Does Bernie Sanders really want to win? Three Democratic debate takeaways
- Fear pervasive after Mexican prison riot that killed 49
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash on ObamaCare; join in slamming police
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash over Wall Street ties
- Differences Undefined? Clinton, Sanders unite in police criticism amid testy debate
- The Latest: Teen who killed family ordered to treatment
- Diplomats in Munich agree to Syria cease-fire in a week
- Fargo police say officer shot during standoff dies
- University of Rochester scientists create 'super polymer' that can lift 1,000 times its mass
- Do or Die: Nevada lawmaker describes convincing last Oregon holdout to surrender
- Locals fume as EPA reveals Gold King mine spill much worse than initially stated
- Top terror groups focused on targeting planes, DHS secretary says
- State Dept. IG subpoenaed Clinton Foundation in 2015
- Final Oregon refuge occupier turns himself in
- World's longest-surviving heart transplant patient dies
- 'House of Cards': It's Frank vs. Claire in the Season 4 trailer
- Hundreds of people, including strangers, attend funeral for homeless Army vet
- Meryl Streep responds to questions about diversity: 'We’re all Africans really'
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50