Auburn Hills, MI (SportsNetwork.com) - Dion Waiters received an inbounds pass from Luol Deng with 3.2 seconds left, dribbled to his left and nailed a long two-point jumper as time expired to lift the Cleveland Cavaliers to a 97-96 win over the Detroit Pistons.
- Created on Wednesday, 26 March 2014 22:45
Detroit led 96-87 late in the fourth after a Kyle Singler jumper, then Jarrett Jack hit a 3-pointer that was part of an 8-0 run to cut the deficit to one with 53.8 seconds left.
The Pistons had two chances at increasing the lead, but came up empty both times and Deng pulled down a rebound with seconds remaining, allowing the Cavs a shot at the win.
Matthew Dellavedova scored a career-high 21 points off the bench and Waiters tallied 18 points for the Cavs, who played without star point guard Kyrie Irving for the sixth straight game due to a strained bicep.
Jack contributed 17 points in place of Irving, and Anderson Varejao netted 12 points with 16 rebounds in Cleveland's third straight win.
With the win, the Cavs now trail Atlanta by 3 1/2 games for eighth place in the Eastern Conference.
Josh Smith paced Detroit with 24 points to go along with eight rebounds and six assists. Singler notched 18 points, Brandon Jennings had 17 points with 13 assists and Greg Monroe deposited 14 points with eight rebounds in the Pistons' sixth loss in their last seven contests.
The Pistons ripped off a 17-1 run to take a 21-7 lead.
Jennings started the surge with a 3-pointer and later added a trey, then Singler capped it with just under 6 1/2 minutes left in the first.
Cleveland cut into the deficit over the final six minutes and trailed 33-24 after 12 minutes.
Dellavedova hit a trey to start a 9-0 run with under eight minutes left in the second. Tristan Thompson capped the spurt with a pair of free throws to tie the game at 37-37.
No team led by more than two the rest of the half and Singler's 3 with 1.5 seconds remaining gave the Pistons a 51-50 lead at the break.
Monroe's layup 4:14 into the third capped a 14-4 quarter-opening that gave the hosts a 65-54 advantage. He then added a layup after a pair of free throws that stretched the margin to 15 with 1 1/2 minutes left.
A Jennings 3 capped the scoring in the third and helped the Pistons to an 82-66 lead entering the fourth.
Detroit led comfortably throughout the fourth before Cleveland's game-ending run.
Cleveland shot 37-of-85 from the field ... The Cavs bench outscored Detroit's reserves by a 45-17 margin ... Detroit owned a 48-45 edge on the glass ... Cleveland scored 19 points off of 13 Detroit turnovers.
- Hampden officials say they are working hard to economic development
- Killer mom appeals murder sentence
- Governor withdraws nominess for Education Committee
- A Waterville man is accused of carrying out a terrifying crime
- Officials warn people to leave seal pups alone
- Pulse Marketing holds first web marketing seminar in Bangor
- Evening of romance at BSO Valentine's concert
- DOE looking for summer food program sponsors
- Huge alumni gift for Bates College
- Kennebec County Jail is preparing for major renovations
- Don McLean pleads not guilty
- Tractor trailer accident closes 202
- Chess Tables Coming to Brewer Waterfront
- Rockland man arrested on child porn charges
- Man involved in two high speed chases last week is in custody
- Governor submits state of the state in writing
- Driver allegedly was drinking at time of crash
- Man involved in standoff in court Monday
- Black Lives Matter activist kills self outside Ohio Statehouse, police say
- Report: DMX almost dies from drug overdose
- 'White guilt' video shown to high school students irks community
- The dangerous business of ship salvage
- Virginia teen stabbed to death had talked about running away with suspect
- Caught on video: British man trips suspect running from police
- $220,000 Oscar swag bag includes sex toys, breast enhancements, Chapstick
- Teresa Giudice reveals she attended parties, used ‘spa services’ in prison
- M1 Abrams tank makes cameo in Iranian-backed terror group's video
- Hundreds of California homes, buildings used plans drafted by 2 phony engineers, say authorities
- Candace Cameron Bure is uncomfortable with foul language on ‘The View’
- Man killed by meteorite in India, say government officials
- Top intel official confirms ISIS made, used chemical weapons
- NASA releases stunning 360-degree Mars video
- Liam Neeson admits to dating 'incredibly famous' woman
- North Korean satellite reportedly 'tumbling in orbit,' making it useless
- Texas prosecutor busted for drunken driving
- Sanders closing Clinton's national polling lead, as NH votes
- 19th-century 'Perpetual Mouse Trap' lives up to its name
- Man trapped under avalanche pulled out 6 days later
- Teen stabbed to death had been grounded from social media, dad says
- What kind of America do Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders think we live in?
- 'OITNB' actress Taryn Manning sues NYC for $10M for 'false arrest'
- Iowa Democrats stonewalling on vote totals, but past numbers were available
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- First 'Fuller House' Trailer Debuts: 'Damn, We All Still Look Good!'
- 'The Flash': Danielle Panabaker Talks Killer Frost, Deathstorm & Zoom
- Taylor Swift Leads iHeartRadio Award Nominations
- Michael Douglas Among Those Honored By AARP
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50