- Created on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 10:25
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Christian Ponder's development as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback has been slow. He took significantly less time to finish his courtship of ESPN reporter Samantha Steele.
Just a few months after meeting Steele on the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" and two weeks after getting engaged, Ponder confirmed the two were married at a Hudson, Wis., courthouse on Monday afternoon. Ponder, 24, has been surprised by the attention the relationship has received and unsuccessfully tried to keep the marriage out of the public eye.
"We tried to keep the attention away from us and just went over to Wisconsin and had it done," Ponder said Wednesday during his weekly press conference. "So, it was quick, but it was good."
Ponder is used to having the spotlight as Minnesota's second-year starting quarterback, and Steele, 27, is certainly no stranger to the attention. But the two believed going to Hudson — about 40 minutes east of the Twin Cities — might have kept the marriage under wraps. Ponder said it was just the two of them on Monday but that they will have a bigger ceremony in the offseason.
"It was important for us to get it done before the holidays and a lot of personal reasons that went into it," Ponder said.
News broke of the romance in October when Ponder confirmed the two were dating. Ponder said they were hoping to keep the relationship a secret but knew it would eventually get out. He confirmed later they were engaged on Dec. 4 but refused to get into details.
Ponder said the two met when Steele's live ESPN show was at Florida State, where Ponder was the Seminoles' starting quarterback before being drafted in the first round by Minnesota last year. Ponder added that Steele has visited him in Minnesota often since the relationship began.
"They call me Mr. Steele," Ponder said in October, adding: "Christian Steele is kind of a sweet name."
Steele also confirmed the union via Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Twitter is so tricky. Who knew that 'she's pregnant' & 'they'll be divorced soon' are just the 2012 version of 'congrats'! Thx guys! :)"
With two games remaining this season, the Vikings are trying to earn a playoff berth with Ponder in his second year as a starter. The timing of the nuptials has brought attention because of Minnesota's postseason push, but Ponder said it hasn't been a distraction to him or the team.
"It was a good thing to happen, but it's not going to be a distraction," Ponder said. "I'm still putting in the time that I did Monday and Tuesday and for the rest of the week. . . . (I understand) how big of a game this is for myself and this team. It's important for me."
The Vikings (8-6) travel to Houston Sunday to take on the Texans (12-2).
Ponder has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He has a 78.6 quarterback rating, which ranks 25th in the league.
"I knew it was on the radar, didn't know when," coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he got it done."
Follow Brian Hall on Twitter.
- Unique take on the Christmas Carol
- Expressing creativity through snowflake ornaments
- Interactive Nutcracker showcase gets families dancing
- Waterfall Arts craft fair supporting local artists
- Ellsworth Police are receiving scam reports
- Wreaths Across America journey begins
- Plane makes an emergency landing at Bangor International Airport
- Penobscot Sheriffs forgo shaving for charity
- Police investigate murder/suicide
- Pedestrian hit by car in Madawaska
- Two arrested in Hancock on drug charges
- Search for missing Bangor man extended to Old Town
- Search continues for Medford woman
- Teen killed in crash after car left road and hit tree
- State police investigating deaths of a man and a woman
- Bangor retail stores talk about their big Christmas sellers
- Portland listed as choice destination on the rise
- Augusta woman to be sentenced for robbery
- 10 health and fitness gifts moms really want
- Northeast to receive fresh bout of lake-effect snow and chill before week’s end
- World's biggest LNG supplier Qatar merges 2 gas producers
- Smartwatch can help detect signs of heart attack for at-risk patients
- Spain plans $528M in environmental taxes to meet EU goals
- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter arrives in Iraq to assess Mosul fight
- Iran says it's finalized $16.6B Boeing deal to buy 80 planes
- 38 dead and 155 wounded in twin bomb attack near Istanbul stadium
- Blast at Egypt's main Coptic Christian cathedral kills 22, injures dozens
- Blast at Egypt's main Coptic Christian cathedral kills 25, injures dozens
- Italian foreign minister looks poised to get premier's job
- Romanians began voting in parliamentary election
- Twin bomb blasts near market in northeast Nigerian city
- Kuwait seats new government after parliamentary elections
- South Korea indicts ex-presidential aide in scandal probe
- Schumer: Check transit employees against terror watch lists
- Day of mourning declared in Turkey after twin blasts kill 29
- University of Michigan, Google create Flint water crisis app , website
- Kesha & Madonna Get Emotional At The Billboard Women In Music 2016 Event
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Is Ok With Donald Trump's Involvement With 'The New Celebrity Apprentice'
- A Judge Finalizes Khloe Kardashian's Divorce From Lamar Odom
- A Judge Finalizes Khloe Kardashian & Lamar Odom's Divorce
- 'Silicon Valley' Star T.J. Miller Arrested On Suspicion Of Battery, Police Say
- Kerry Washington Steps Out For First Time Since Welcoming Baby No. 2
- 'The Vampire Diaries': Candice King & Zach Roerig Preview Midseason Finale
- Hollywood Legend Kirk Douglas Celebrates 100th Birthday
- Megan Mullally Hints At Possible 'Will & Grace' Revival
- Savannah Guthrie Gives Birth To Her Second Child!
- Taylor Swift & Zayn Malik Drop Surprise Single For 'Fifty Shades Darker'
- Louis Tomlinson's Mother Has Died Of Leukemia
- Alinghi wins extreme sailing series
- Davis returns to lineup as Pelicans visit Suns
- Traded players square off as Senators visit Ducks
- Brazel wins Hong Kong Open for 1st European Tour title
- Paul has 20 points, 20 assists, 0 turnovers to lead Clippers
- Paul leads Clippers to season-high 133 points vs Pelicans
- Emery, Haws lead BYU past Colorado 79-71
- Loyola Marymount edges Cal State Northridge 69-68
- Rider holds off Pacific 73-66 in Gotham Classic
- Couture, Labanc help lead Sharks past Hurricanes 4-3
- Hamilton scores twice, Flames beat Jets 6-2 for 6th straight
- Seattle coasts to 90-49 win over Great Falls