- Created on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 10:25
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Christian Ponder's development as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback has been slow. He took significantly less time to finish his courtship of ESPN reporter Samantha Steele.
Just a few months after meeting Steele on the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" and two weeks after getting engaged, Ponder confirmed the two were married at a Hudson, Wis., courthouse on Monday afternoon. Ponder, 24, has been surprised by the attention the relationship has received and unsuccessfully tried to keep the marriage out of the public eye.
"We tried to keep the attention away from us and just went over to Wisconsin and had it done," Ponder said Wednesday during his weekly press conference. "So, it was quick, but it was good."
Ponder is used to having the spotlight as Minnesota's second-year starting quarterback, and Steele, 27, is certainly no stranger to the attention. But the two believed going to Hudson — about 40 minutes east of the Twin Cities — might have kept the marriage under wraps. Ponder said it was just the two of them on Monday but that they will have a bigger ceremony in the offseason.
"It was important for us to get it done before the holidays and a lot of personal reasons that went into it," Ponder said.
News broke of the romance in October when Ponder confirmed the two were dating. Ponder said they were hoping to keep the relationship a secret but knew it would eventually get out. He confirmed later they were engaged on Dec. 4 but refused to get into details.
Ponder said the two met when Steele's live ESPN show was at Florida State, where Ponder was the Seminoles' starting quarterback before being drafted in the first round by Minnesota last year. Ponder added that Steele has visited him in Minnesota often since the relationship began.
"They call me Mr. Steele," Ponder said in October, adding: "Christian Steele is kind of a sweet name."
Steele also confirmed the union via Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Twitter is so tricky. Who knew that 'she's pregnant' & 'they'll be divorced soon' are just the 2012 version of 'congrats'! Thx guys! :)"
With two games remaining this season, the Vikings are trying to earn a playoff berth with Ponder in his second year as a starter. The timing of the nuptials has brought attention because of Minnesota's postseason push, but Ponder said it hasn't been a distraction to him or the team.
"It was a good thing to happen, but it's not going to be a distraction," Ponder said. "I'm still putting in the time that I did Monday and Tuesday and for the rest of the week. . . . (I understand) how big of a game this is for myself and this team. It's important for me."
The Vikings (8-6) travel to Houston Sunday to take on the Texans (12-2).
Ponder has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He has a 78.6 quarterback rating, which ranks 25th in the league.
"I knew it was on the radar, didn't know when," coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he got it done."
Follow Brian Hall on Twitter.
- Cars at UMaine targeted in thefts
- Citizen tip leads to a drug bust
- Massachusetts man accused of stealing from Maine company
- Governor LePage speaks out on "Question 3"
- I-95 closed for two hours due to roll over
- It turned out to be quite a weekend for a Madison woman
- Triple murder suspect goes on trial as jury selection is underway for 2014 murders
- Ellsworth PD is searching for man in connection with a shooting last night
- Scientists track Maine's blue heron migration
- UMaine mourns death of professor
- Top Shelf Comics holds cosplay event
- Arrest made in Sanford robbery case
- 2nd annual Bangor Uncorked attracts hundreds
- Scary drug circulating in Baileyville
- Man in jail after alleged sexual assault
- Trump supporters gather with flags and banners in Ellsworth
- Kurtz on Trump's Miss Universe dust up: 'He can't seem to let go of it'
- California police show videos of fatal shooting of black man
- Powerful Hurricane Matthew on Caribbean track toward Jamaica
- Mob informant trades witness protection for $100M
- Stripper segregation: Feds say club mistreats black dancers
- ICC oversight chief calls on South Africa, Burundi to remain
- Judge delays former Navy chaplain's child-porn sentencing
- Global church bells end Finnish campaign for Aleppo victims
- Scaffolding plummets to ground in Florida killing worker, report says
- ‘Major League’ roles for Cleveland Indians World Series?
- Surgery in utero saves boy from life-threatening heart tumor
- What Is a Dogtrot House? A Home Where Fido Can Roam, and Far More
- State Department aide pleads the Fifth more than 90 times
- Wood stove sparks Georgia mobile home fire, killing 6
- Iraqis on edge of Mosul face a deadly dilemma: Stay or flee
- 'Serial' star Adnan Syed asks to get out of jail
- Mel Gibson to receive Hollywood Director Award
- Infants should share bedroom with parents to reduce risk of sudden death, group advises
- Screaming Fans Prompt Justin Bieber To Walk Off Stage
- Bill Murray Honored With Mark Twain Prize For American Humor
- DJ Khaled Welcomes Baby Boy, Documents Birth On Snapchat
- Shailene Woodley Faces January Trial In Pipeline Protest
- 'The Walking Dead' Cast Reacts To Season 7 Premiere Shockers
- Taylor Swift Plays Formula One To Try To Get Young Fans Into Racing
- Kanye West Shares The Sweetest Birthday Message For Wife Kim Kardashian West
- Reese Witherspoon Reveals She Gets Fashion Advice From Her Teenage Daughter
- Donald Glover To Play Lando Calrissian In Han Solo 'Star Wars' Film
- Katy Perry & Pharrell To Co-Chair 2017 Met Gala
- Katy Perry & Pharrell Williams To Co-Chair 2017 Met Gala
- Anne Hathaway Admits She 'Tried To Pretend To Be Happy' When Winning Her Oscar
- 2014 Olympic luger Aidan Kelly sidelined by herniated disk
- QB Jay Cutler receives medical clearance to play for Bears
- No. 18 Tennessee won't have Kamara for South Carolina game
- Georgia says 2 players cleared in marijuana investigation
- Nebraska assistant's hearing for 3rd DUI now set Nov. 21
- Clemson RB Gallman says hit by NC State's Wright was 'dirty'
- Dew Tour redesigns courses for snowboarders, freestylers
- Indians embrace underdog role in World Series against Cubs
- High school athlete wakes up from coma speaking Spanish after concussion
- USC preparing to face high-scoring Cal
- Ritchie gets tiebreaker in Ducks' 4-2 win over Vancouver
- Cubs pondering World Series return for slugger Schwarber