- Created on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 05:25
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Christian Ponder's development as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback has been slow. He took significantly less time to finish his courtship of ESPN reporter Samantha Steele.
Just a few months after meeting Steele on the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" and two weeks after getting engaged, Ponder confirmed the two were married at a Hudson, Wis., courthouse on Monday afternoon. Ponder, 24, has been surprised by the attention the relationship has received and unsuccessfully tried to keep the marriage out of the public eye.
"We tried to keep the attention away from us and just went over to Wisconsin and had it done," Ponder said Wednesday during his weekly press conference. "So, it was quick, but it was good."
Ponder is used to having the spotlight as Minnesota's second-year starting quarterback, and Steele, 27, is certainly no stranger to the attention. But the two believed going to Hudson — about 40 minutes east of the Twin Cities — might have kept the marriage under wraps. Ponder said it was just the two of them on Monday but that they will have a bigger ceremony in the offseason.
"It was important for us to get it done before the holidays and a lot of personal reasons that went into it," Ponder said.
News broke of the romance in October when Ponder confirmed the two were dating. Ponder said they were hoping to keep the relationship a secret but knew it would eventually get out. He confirmed later they were engaged on Dec. 4 but refused to get into details.
Ponder said the two met when Steele's live ESPN show was at Florida State, where Ponder was the Seminoles' starting quarterback before being drafted in the first round by Minnesota last year. Ponder added that Steele has visited him in Minnesota often since the relationship began.
"They call me Mr. Steele," Ponder said in October, adding: "Christian Steele is kind of a sweet name."
Steele also confirmed the union via Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Twitter is so tricky. Who knew that 'she's pregnant' & 'they'll be divorced soon' are just the 2012 version of 'congrats'! Thx guys! :)"
With two games remaining this season, the Vikings are trying to earn a playoff berth with Ponder in his second year as a starter. The timing of the nuptials has brought attention because of Minnesota's postseason push, but Ponder said it hasn't been a distraction to him or the team.
"It was a good thing to happen, but it's not going to be a distraction," Ponder said. "I'm still putting in the time that I did Monday and Tuesday and for the rest of the week. . . . (I understand) how big of a game this is for myself and this team. It's important for me."
The Vikings (8-6) travel to Houston Sunday to take on the Texans (12-2).
Ponder has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He has a 78.6 quarterback rating, which ranks 25th in the league.
"I knew it was on the radar, didn't know when," coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he got it done."
Follow Brian Hall on Twitter.
- Gorham man lucky after cold crash
- Early moring fire destroys home in Rangeley
- Maine DOT reminds drivers to remove snow from cars
- Robert Burton to receive sentence Friday
- Maine legislators want to raise lead testing standards
- Child's death under investigation
- Woodlawn museum decorated with more than 40 trees
- North Carolina man killed in snowmobile accident
- Acadia National Park superintendent to travel to Washington D.C.
- Convicted killer to be sentenced Friday
- Winter storm sparks power outages
- Our Town Belfast invites community to menorah lighting
- Police investigate death of homeless man
- State releases unclaimed property list
- Fatal Franklin accident under investigation
- Cop taunts would-be killer with lube on way to prison: 'You are going to need a lot of this'
- Dog shoots hunter after another hunter leaves shotgun on ground
- Bill banning Down syndrome abortions passes in Ohio, heads to Kasich's desk
- Missouri man tackled woman in road rage attack and remains on the run, cops say
- Nazareth cancels Christmas celebrations over Trump's Israel decision
- Pro-ISIS poster threatens more New York City attacks, beheading of NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill
- Cold case: Man arrested in 1989 rape, murder of Washington state teenager
- Tax bill: What's in and what's out?
- Unarmed man's death 'an execution' by Arizona officer, widow says
- 'Star Wars: Last Jedi' big spoiler revealed in John Boyega live TV interview
- New F-35A fighter jet gets a new powerful bomb
- Omarosa speaks out on drama behind White House departure
- A government shutdown could really happen – just as Congress eyes tax victory
- California woman cashed dead mom's Social Security checks for 24 years
- Argentina submarine chased by British helicopter before vanishing, sailor's sister claims
- Disney to acquire assets of 21st Century Fox in $52.4B megadeal
- Archaeologists reconstruct face of ancient, 1,200-year-old Peruvian queen
- Kentucky lawmaker's death stuns Statehouse already beset by sex scandal
- Aaron Carter Reveals He's Ready To Be A Dad: 'I Want Kids So Bad'
- Brooklyn Beckham's New Tattoo Honors His Sibling – See The Pic!
- Gus Kenworthy, Steve-O & More To Star In YouTube Red Series 'Ultimate Expedition' (Exclusive)
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars' S3's Sickening New Promo Video Will Leave You Gagged
- Omarosa Manigault Denies That She Was Fired From The White House
- Tavis Smiley Releases Statement On PBS Investigation Of Misconduct
- Selena Gomez & Karlie Kloss Wish Taylor Swift A Happy Birthday
- Meet Season 13's 'The Voice' Finalists
- Carter Thicke's Tribute To Father Alan Thicke 1 Year After His Death
- Joe Biden Consoles Tearful Meghan McCain On 'The View' As They Talk John McCain's Cancer Battle
- Gwen Stefani Slays The Outfit Game During Her Christmas Special
- George & Amal Clooney Give Headphones To Passengers On Their Flight With Their 6-Month-Old Twins
- New Orleans Saints fan vows team will 'pay' in lawsuit over national anthem protests
- Louisville countersues Pitino, saying fired coach cost school money
- Injury plagued Magic fall to Clippers
- Agent Boras: Marlins turning into 'pawn shop' under Jeter
- Marlins agree to trade Marcell Ozuna to Cardinals
- Miami Marlins set to deal Marcell Ozuna to St. Louis Cardinals
- Youth movement: Dolphins reaping rewards from young players' development
- Jose Canseco may be out of work after tweets on sexual misconduct
- Suns go cold in second half, drop fourth straight
- RECAP: LA Kings' eight-game winning streak comes to an end in New Jersey
- Andrei Vasilevskiy stops everything, Lightning top Blues to take sole possession of NHL points lead
- James ties career-high with 17 assists, as Cavs beat Hawks 123-114