- Created on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 10:25
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Christian Ponder's development as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback has been slow. He took significantly less time to finish his courtship of ESPN reporter Samantha Steele.
Just a few months after meeting Steele on the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" and two weeks after getting engaged, Ponder confirmed the two were married at a Hudson, Wis., courthouse on Monday afternoon. Ponder, 24, has been surprised by the attention the relationship has received and unsuccessfully tried to keep the marriage out of the public eye.
"We tried to keep the attention away from us and just went over to Wisconsin and had it done," Ponder said Wednesday during his weekly press conference. "So, it was quick, but it was good."
Ponder is used to having the spotlight as Minnesota's second-year starting quarterback, and Steele, 27, is certainly no stranger to the attention. But the two believed going to Hudson — about 40 minutes east of the Twin Cities — might have kept the marriage under wraps. Ponder said it was just the two of them on Monday but that they will have a bigger ceremony in the offseason.
"It was important for us to get it done before the holidays and a lot of personal reasons that went into it," Ponder said.
News broke of the romance in October when Ponder confirmed the two were dating. Ponder said they were hoping to keep the relationship a secret but knew it would eventually get out. He confirmed later they were engaged on Dec. 4 but refused to get into details.
Ponder said the two met when Steele's live ESPN show was at Florida State, where Ponder was the Seminoles' starting quarterback before being drafted in the first round by Minnesota last year. Ponder added that Steele has visited him in Minnesota often since the relationship began.
"They call me Mr. Steele," Ponder said in October, adding: "Christian Steele is kind of a sweet name."
Steele also confirmed the union via Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Twitter is so tricky. Who knew that 'she's pregnant' & 'they'll be divorced soon' are just the 2012 version of 'congrats'! Thx guys! :)"
With two games remaining this season, the Vikings are trying to earn a playoff berth with Ponder in his second year as a starter. The timing of the nuptials has brought attention because of Minnesota's postseason push, but Ponder said it hasn't been a distraction to him or the team.
"It was a good thing to happen, but it's not going to be a distraction," Ponder said. "I'm still putting in the time that I did Monday and Tuesday and for the rest of the week. . . . (I understand) how big of a game this is for myself and this team. It's important for me."
The Vikings (8-6) travel to Houston Sunday to take on the Texans (12-2).
Ponder has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He has a 78.6 quarterback rating, which ranks 25th in the league.
"I knew it was on the radar, didn't know when," coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he got it done."
Follow Brian Hall on Twitter.
- Overall Maine crime rates fall while drugs are still a concern
- Near drowning victim released from hospital as investigation is still underway
- A teenage boy continues to recover following a scary accident over the weekend
- Weekend concert supports childhood cancer foundation
- Portland stabbing under investigation
- Ellsworth accident ends in fatality
- A man from Carmel has been indicted on sex charges
- Police are trying to figure out what led to a shooting death in Southern Maine
- Maine's safest colleges named
- Fire destroys barn that housed a dog grooming business
- Car found upside down in Ellsworth fatal accident
- Free car seat inspections could save kids' lives
- Husson holds groundbreaking for new townhouses
- Acadia Night Sky Festival is in full swing
- "The Simple Truth About the Pay Gap"
- Local restaurant celebrates women on "American Business Woman's Day
- Arson charges sends a man to prison
- Bar Harbor visitor numbers are up greatly this year
- UMaine Museum of Art showcases Canadian artists
- Trump doubles down on 'impenetrable, physical' wall during immigration speech
- Researchers create working transporter, but only manage to teleport photons
- Chilean soldier reports homophobic insults, harassment in army
- Army fires Fort Riley commander as investigation continues
- Elevator trouble closes Washington Monument indefinitely
- Official: One-third of calls to VA suicide hotline roll over
- US/Israel bond will endure whoever wins election, says Ehud Barak
- Is Employee Feedback Missing at Your Company? Here's Why and How to Fix It.
- Syria says truce still viable after week of airstrikes
- Man gets 4 years for vandalizing a Florida mosque vandalism
- Mexican gets prison for wreck at Texas military installation
- California heat wave brings gusty winds, high wildfire risk
- Thousands celebrate life of abducted 11-year-old Minnesota boy Jacob Wetterling
- Air Force colonel who faced rape charge found dead in home
- Israel to charge former officials with corruption
- US: 'Credible' terror threats targeting US-branded hotels in Turkey
- Care home nurses need training for unique role
- Amid tensions, Japan navy chief wants exchanges with China
- Lindsay Lohan Visited Syrian Refugees In Istanbul, Turkey
- Viola Davis Says Her Experience With Sexual Assault Led Her To Become An Advocate
- Dustin Hoffman & Judi Dench Receive International Emmy Nominations
- 'Today's' Savannah Guthrie Reveals Baby's Gender
- Former 'Friends' Star Matt LeBlanc To Host 'Top Gear' Car Show
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Date Night
- Rihanna, Demi Lovato & More Performed At The 2016 Global Citizen Festival
- London Police Have Arrested A Man They Suspect Of Having Hacked Pippa Middleton's Phone
- 'The Magnificent Seven' Tops The Box Office With $35 Million Debut
- Is It A Girl Or A Boy For Olivia Wilde?
- London Police Investigating Reported Phone Hack Of Pippa Middleton
- The Backstreet Boys Headed For Las Vegas Residency
- Wentz, strong defense have Eagles off to 3-0 start
- More abuse allegations against former USA Gymnastics doctor
- Goodbyes always came with tears for The King
- Wilson injury casts cloud over Seahawks' romp of 49ers
- Ryan Moore becomes US Ryder Cup captain Love's last pick
- South Korea recalls Son for Qatar, Iran World Cup qualifiers
- Arnold Palmer, one of the greatest golfers of all time, dies at 87
- Giants center Richburg 1st NFL player ejected under new rule
- Colin Kaepernick visits Oakland team to show support for their National Anthem protest
- Oakland D forces 3 turnovers as Raiders beat Titans 17-10
- Tucker's late field goal lifts Ravens to 19-17 win at Jags
- Vikings stop Newton, snap Panthers' home win streak 22-10