- Created on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 05:25
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Christian Ponder's development as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback has been slow. He took significantly less time to finish his courtship of ESPN reporter Samantha Steele.
Just a few months after meeting Steele on the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" and two weeks after getting engaged, Ponder confirmed the two were married at a Hudson, Wis., courthouse on Monday afternoon. Ponder, 24, has been surprised by the attention the relationship has received and unsuccessfully tried to keep the marriage out of the public eye.
"We tried to keep the attention away from us and just went over to Wisconsin and had it done," Ponder said Wednesday during his weekly press conference. "So, it was quick, but it was good."
Ponder is used to having the spotlight as Minnesota's second-year starting quarterback, and Steele, 27, is certainly no stranger to the attention. But the two believed going to Hudson — about 40 minutes east of the Twin Cities — might have kept the marriage under wraps. Ponder said it was just the two of them on Monday but that they will have a bigger ceremony in the offseason.
"It was important for us to get it done before the holidays and a lot of personal reasons that went into it," Ponder said.
News broke of the romance in October when Ponder confirmed the two were dating. Ponder said they were hoping to keep the relationship a secret but knew it would eventually get out. He confirmed later they were engaged on Dec. 4 but refused to get into details.
Ponder said the two met when Steele's live ESPN show was at Florida State, where Ponder was the Seminoles' starting quarterback before being drafted in the first round by Minnesota last year. Ponder added that Steele has visited him in Minnesota often since the relationship began.
"They call me Mr. Steele," Ponder said in October, adding: "Christian Steele is kind of a sweet name."
Steele also confirmed the union via Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Twitter is so tricky. Who knew that 'she's pregnant' & 'they'll be divorced soon' are just the 2012 version of 'congrats'! Thx guys! :)"
With two games remaining this season, the Vikings are trying to earn a playoff berth with Ponder in his second year as a starter. The timing of the nuptials has brought attention because of Minnesota's postseason push, but Ponder said it hasn't been a distraction to him or the team.
"It was a good thing to happen, but it's not going to be a distraction," Ponder said. "I'm still putting in the time that I did Monday and Tuesday and for the rest of the week. . . . (I understand) how big of a game this is for myself and this team. It's important for me."
The Vikings (8-6) travel to Houston Sunday to take on the Texans (12-2).
Ponder has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He has a 78.6 quarterback rating, which ranks 25th in the league.
"I knew it was on the radar, didn't know when," coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he got it done."
Follow Brian Hall on Twitter.
- Washington County is experiencing electric service distruptions
- Shaw House recipient of large grant
- Waterville man arrested for breaking a protection order
- Deadly accident in Addison results in charges on driver
- UPDATED; Corinth accident victim named
- Teenager accused of stealing women's underwear from multiple homes
- Two Bangor councilors state they are not running again
- Death toll rises in the wake of truck bomb in Somalia
- Machias Airport making several improvements
- Anthony Sanborn appeal day 4 concluded Friday
- Farmington fire displaces three people
- Dump truck catches fire in Garland
- Senator Collins "disappointed" over Trump's latest Executive Order
- Volunteers prepare for one of the scariest haunted houses of the year
- Sunday kicks off Greater Bangor Beer Week
- Officials investigating fatal crash in Corinth Friday
- Reports: Marilyn Manson injured during New York concert
- McCain condemns isolationist politics, calls it 'unpatriotic'
- Atlanta mom charged with murder after allegedly putting 2 young sons in oven
- North Korea: 'Nuclear war may break out any moment'
- Behind the dramatic rescue of American-Canadian couple from Haqqani captivity
- NBA coach calls Trump 'a pathological liar' following comments about soldiers killed in Niger
- State of emergency declared in Florida county ahead of Richard Spencer speech
- Ohio man charged in 4 slayings still held without bond
- China's Xi looks to extend power at Communist Party congress
- Congo bank helped Hezbollah-linked company avoid US sanctions, report says
- Pregnant woman who survived Las Vegas massacre gives birth 2 days later
- Study: 1 out of 8 US residents is an immigrant
- Columnist: Left's sirens have sparked a culture war
- Mother who taped toddler to wall reportedly pleads guilty to charges
- California adds 'non-binary' gender option on state licenses
- Tucker: Harvey hypocrite Lisa Bloom is feminist for hire
- Tracing the long money trail between Weinstein, the Clintons
- Callista Gingrich confirmed by Senate as Vatican ambassador
- Janet Jackson And Ciara Hit Disneyland For Fairytale Playdate With Their Kiddos
- Anthony Bourdain Supports Girlfriend Asia Argento In Social Media Posts
- Bruno Mars Performs Incredible Acoustic Version of 'That's What I Like' – Watch!
- EXCLUSIVE: Get A Sneak Peek at Season 3 Of 'DC's Legends of Tomorrow'
- Khloé Kardashian & Kylie Jenner Are Totally Twinning – See The Pics!
- 'DWTS' Eliminates Fan Favorite Derek Fisher During 'Most Memorable Year' Week
- Lea Michele, Darren Criss, Ryan Murphy & More Have An Epic 'Glee’ Reunion At The Elsie Festival
- Jennifer Garner Proves She's Still A 'Band Geek' At College Football Game
- Blue Ivy Looks Just Like Beyoncé When She Was A Kiddo – See The Pic!
- Prince Harry Announces Mental Health Partnership With Armed Forces In Emotional Speech
- Taylor Swift Surprised Fans On Instagram & They Totally Freaked Out
- Jason Aldean Returns To Las Vegas One Week After Mass Shooting
- Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino fired following corruption, fraud investigation
- National anthem protests: Florida man takes 'Boycott the Jags and the NFL' message to sky
- Tokyo's 1964 Olympic flame went out four years ago, report says
- Chargers edge Raiders on Novak's late field goal
- Al Michaels apologizes for comparing Giants to Harvey Weinstein
- Colin Kaepernick files grievance accusing NFL owners of collusion
- Green Bay Packers' Aaron Rodgers could miss rest of season with broken collarbone
- Colin Kaepernick files grievance accusing NFL owners of collusion, report says
- Buccaneers lose QB Jameis Winston to injury, can't complete comeback in loss to Cardinals
- Philadelphia Eagles' Marcus Johnson baptized in hotel pool with teammates by his side
- Dodgers top Cubs in Game 1 of NL title series
- Astros top Yankees, take Game 1 of AL title series