- Created on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 10:25
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Christian Ponder's development as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback has been slow. He took significantly less time to finish his courtship of ESPN reporter Samantha Steele.
Just a few months after meeting Steele on the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" and two weeks after getting engaged, Ponder confirmed the two were married at a Hudson, Wis., courthouse on Monday afternoon. Ponder, 24, has been surprised by the attention the relationship has received and unsuccessfully tried to keep the marriage out of the public eye.
"We tried to keep the attention away from us and just went over to Wisconsin and had it done," Ponder said Wednesday during his weekly press conference. "So, it was quick, but it was good."
Ponder is used to having the spotlight as Minnesota's second-year starting quarterback, and Steele, 27, is certainly no stranger to the attention. But the two believed going to Hudson — about 40 minutes east of the Twin Cities — might have kept the marriage under wraps. Ponder said it was just the two of them on Monday but that they will have a bigger ceremony in the offseason.
"It was important for us to get it done before the holidays and a lot of personal reasons that went into it," Ponder said.
News broke of the romance in October when Ponder confirmed the two were dating. Ponder said they were hoping to keep the relationship a secret but knew it would eventually get out. He confirmed later they were engaged on Dec. 4 but refused to get into details.
Ponder said the two met when Steele's live ESPN show was at Florida State, where Ponder was the Seminoles' starting quarterback before being drafted in the first round by Minnesota last year. Ponder added that Steele has visited him in Minnesota often since the relationship began.
"They call me Mr. Steele," Ponder said in October, adding: "Christian Steele is kind of a sweet name."
Steele also confirmed the union via Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Twitter is so tricky. Who knew that 'she's pregnant' & 'they'll be divorced soon' are just the 2012 version of 'congrats'! Thx guys! :)"
With two games remaining this season, the Vikings are trying to earn a playoff berth with Ponder in his second year as a starter. The timing of the nuptials has brought attention because of Minnesota's postseason push, but Ponder said it hasn't been a distraction to him or the team.
"It was a good thing to happen, but it's not going to be a distraction," Ponder said. "I'm still putting in the time that I did Monday and Tuesday and for the rest of the week. . . . (I understand) how big of a game this is for myself and this team. It's important for me."
The Vikings (8-6) travel to Houston Sunday to take on the Texans (12-2).
Ponder has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He has a 78.6 quarterback rating, which ranks 25th in the league.
"I knew it was on the radar, didn't know when," coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he got it done."
Follow Brian Hall on Twitter.
- Bangor council writes letter of concern for ACA repeal, discusses success of CIC
- Meeting for dam re-licensing open to the public
- Hopkins Hearing on hold
- Two arrested on heroin charges in Hancock County
- Maine professors ask President Trump to pay attention to climate change
- A new art exhibit has opened in Bangor with a story hidden behind it
- Former President Bush expected to be discharged from ICU soon
- Senator Collins to introduce alternate to ACA with no gap in coverage for those who use current system
- Affordable Care Act to be discussed at Bangor council meeting
- Man dies after car plunges into river
- Two separate stabbing incidents in Portland under investigation
- One man dead and an officer injured after incident in Waldoboro
- Man caught with nearly four pounds of marijuana in car
- Body recovered in river in Bucksport
- Mainer attends inauguration, discusses protests
- Accident knocks down light pole
- Two two killed in two separate accidents
- Time change bill facing State House
- This is how to survive a plane crash, according to a flight attendant
- 11 unexpected places mold may be hiding in your home
- UK Supreme Court rules parliamentary approval needed before Brexit start
- EU-Canada trade deal clears big hurdle in EU parliament
- Manhunt underway for 2 suspects who allegedly shot at unmarked police cruiser
- BT shares plunge on cost of Italian accounting scandal
- Turkish president lands in Mozambique for talks
- Trump orders hiring freeze for much of Federal government
- Police in Sweden probe rape reportedly aired on Facebook
- Suspected murder of 20-year-old woman stuns Iceland
- US quietly sent $221M to Palestinians in Obama's last hours
- Texas Gov. Abbott tells sheriff she's playing 'dangerous game' over sanctuary policy
- Conway: Reporters covering Trump 'ought to think about what they're really doing'
- Robert Gates: Some of Trump's picks can be transformative
- Border Angels director: Trump immigration xenophobic, racist
- Minnesota Gov. Dayton collapses while delivering State of the State speech
- Trump tells Congressional leaders 3-5 million 'illegals' cost him popular vote
- US pilots ask Trump to block Obama admin ruling they say would kill thousands of jobs
- 'Saturday Night Live' Writer Suspended Over Barron Trump Tweet
- Stephen Colbert To Host 2017 Emmys, Jokes He'll Bring 'Largest Audience' Ever
- Fox News Cuts Ties With Stacey Dash
- Alec Baldwin To Host 'Saturday Night Live' For Record-Setting 17th Time
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Official Title Revealed
- Matt Damon Says He'll Pitch President Trump On Clean Water
- 'Zoolander 2' & 'Batman V Superman' Lead Razzie Nominations
- 'Sister Wives': Supreme Court Won't Hear Appeal On Law Banning Polygamy
- Luke Bryan To Sing National Anthem At Super Bowl LI
- Paris Fashion Week Latest
- M. Night Shyamalan's 'Split' Tops The Box Office
- Alec Baldwin's Trump Wasn't On 'SNL,' But Mock-Putin Was
- Raptors will be without DeRozan against Spurs
- Surging Wizards host rival Celtics
- AP source: Colts leaving Anderson for new training camp site
- Jazz humming along with Nuggets up next
- Griffin expected to return for Clippers-76ers
- Broncos hire Toub's assistant to coach special teams
- Kadri scores twice to get to 20 goals; Leafs beat Flames 4-0
- Bengals apologize for Pacman Jones' behavior after arrest
- Marleau scores 4 goals in 3rd, Sharks beat Avalanche 5-2
- Getzlaf, Bernier lift Ducks over Jets 3-2
- Rieder scores in OT, Coyotes hand Panthers 4th straight loss
- Raiders hire John Pagano as defensive assistant