- Created on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 10:25
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Christian Ponder's development as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback has been slow. He took significantly less time to finish his courtship of ESPN reporter Samantha Steele.
Just a few months after meeting Steele on the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" and two weeks after getting engaged, Ponder confirmed the two were married at a Hudson, Wis., courthouse on Monday afternoon. Ponder, 24, has been surprised by the attention the relationship has received and unsuccessfully tried to keep the marriage out of the public eye.
"We tried to keep the attention away from us and just went over to Wisconsin and had it done," Ponder said Wednesday during his weekly press conference. "So, it was quick, but it was good."
Ponder is used to having the spotlight as Minnesota's second-year starting quarterback, and Steele, 27, is certainly no stranger to the attention. But the two believed going to Hudson — about 40 minutes east of the Twin Cities — might have kept the marriage under wraps. Ponder said it was just the two of them on Monday but that they will have a bigger ceremony in the offseason.
"It was important for us to get it done before the holidays and a lot of personal reasons that went into it," Ponder said.
News broke of the romance in October when Ponder confirmed the two were dating. Ponder said they were hoping to keep the relationship a secret but knew it would eventually get out. He confirmed later they were engaged on Dec. 4 but refused to get into details.
Ponder said the two met when Steele's live ESPN show was at Florida State, where Ponder was the Seminoles' starting quarterback before being drafted in the first round by Minnesota last year. Ponder added that Steele has visited him in Minnesota often since the relationship began.
"They call me Mr. Steele," Ponder said in October, adding: "Christian Steele is kind of a sweet name."
Steele also confirmed the union via Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Twitter is so tricky. Who knew that 'she's pregnant' & 'they'll be divorced soon' are just the 2012 version of 'congrats'! Thx guys! :)"
With two games remaining this season, the Vikings are trying to earn a playoff berth with Ponder in his second year as a starter. The timing of the nuptials has brought attention because of Minnesota's postseason push, but Ponder said it hasn't been a distraction to him or the team.
"It was a good thing to happen, but it's not going to be a distraction," Ponder said. "I'm still putting in the time that I did Monday and Tuesday and for the rest of the week. . . . (I understand) how big of a game this is for myself and this team. It's important for me."
The Vikings (8-6) travel to Houston Sunday to take on the Texans (12-2).
Ponder has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He has a 78.6 quarterback rating, which ranks 25th in the league.
"I knew it was on the radar, didn't know when," coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he got it done."
Follow Brian Hall on Twitter.
- Event brings fans of music and wrestling together
- Partnership allows students to earn two degrees in six years
- Program encourages students to consider career in law enforcement
- DHHS allocates millions to fight opioid epidemic
- Thousands wake up to power outage
- Man behind bars after standoff in Aroostook County
- Community members study local aquatic life
- "Lego Circus Day" has a special guest at Challenger Learning Center
- Searsmont man facing charges for unlawful sexual contact
- Woman accused of murdering former husband
- Miranda Hopkins due in court Friday
- Turner woman killed following crash while exiting turnpike
- Music and wrestling bring together the best of both worlds
- Jeopardy moving to FOX 22 for one night
- New program to give people CNA certification
- Opioid addiction topic at Husson University Thursday evening
- Supplement seller charged with deception
- AARP warns of tax-time scam
- Norridgewock man pleads guilty to drug trafficking
- Safe hiking during the winter while on expedition at Baxter State Park
- Ted Cruz reportedly says nuclear option is on table in Supreme Court pick
- Japan spokesman: Trump criticism of currency policy off base
- Celebrities, pundits react to Trump's Supreme Court nominee
- Union-backed Ronald Vitiello named to lead Border Patrol
- Senator: Army Corp told to approve Dakota pipeline easement
- Owner, charity liable in building collapse that killed 6
- Neighbor: Kansas bar attack suspect a 'drunken mess,' not political
- 10 reasons to call your doctor during pregnancy
- South Asian herb dubbed 'smart weed'
- Iran's navy begins annual drill off Strait of Hormuz
- Former Iranian president sent Trump a letter discussing immigration
- Dry spell on the horizon for West after early week bout of rain, snow
- Malaysia: Kim Jong Nam died 'within 15-20 minutes' of poisoning
- Egypt put off plans to raise entry visa price for visitors
- Pentagon seeks to expand fight against Al Qaeda extremists in Somalia
- 28 injured after car plows into New Orleans parade crowd; suspect in custody
- Iraq: Officials recapture new neighborhood in Mosul
- Report: Nearly half of students in college think they will receive federal loan forgiveness
- Lionel Richie Postpones Tour With Mariah Carey To Recover From Knee Procedure
- Christina El Moussa Opens Up About Her Pending Divorce From 'Flip Or Flop' Co-Star Tarek El Moussa
- Caitlyn Jenner Calls Trump Transgender Decision 'A Disaster'
- Tom Brady Terrifies Patriots Fans With Hilarious Ski Crash Video
- Matt Reeves Steps In To Direct 'The Batman' After Ben Affleck Steps Down
- 'Riverdale' Stars Talk Blossom Family, Jughead's Tough Time & More
- Beyoncé Won't Perform At Coachella 2017 Under Doctor's Orders, Reschedules For 2018
- Rihanna Named Harvard's 2017 Humanitarian Of The Year
- 'American Gods' Gets Premiere Date; Plus, See The Key Art!
- #TGIT New Promo: Watch Kerry Washington & Ellen Pompeo Welcome Mireille Enos Back (With Wine)
- 'The Voice' Sneak Peek: Watch A Four-Chair Turn From The Season Premiere
- Oprah Winfrey To Speak At Upstate NY College Commencement
- Transgender boy wins first 2 matches of girls tournament
- Jameis Winston apologizes for 'poor word choice' during talk to schoolchildren
- Ex-USA Gymnastics doctor accused of sexually assaulting nine girls
- Facebook reportedly in talks with MLB to livestream games during season
- Athletics hopeful Santiago Casilla to arrive in coming days
- Lakers put Magic Johnson in charge of basketball ops
- Lean on me: International NBA players supporting each other
- AP Sources: Matt Wieters, Nationals agree, pending physical
- Romar's future at Washington could be tied to recruits
- FCS draft roundtable - Part II
- White Sox seek solutions for outfield vacancies
- Nutting: Pirates had 'step back' in '16, but talent is there