- Created on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 10:25
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Christian Ponder's development as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback has been slow. He took significantly less time to finish his courtship of ESPN reporter Samantha Steele.
Just a few months after meeting Steele on the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" and two weeks after getting engaged, Ponder confirmed the two were married at a Hudson, Wis., courthouse on Monday afternoon. Ponder, 24, has been surprised by the attention the relationship has received and unsuccessfully tried to keep the marriage out of the public eye.
"We tried to keep the attention away from us and just went over to Wisconsin and had it done," Ponder said Wednesday during his weekly press conference. "So, it was quick, but it was good."
Ponder is used to having the spotlight as Minnesota's second-year starting quarterback, and Steele, 27, is certainly no stranger to the attention. But the two believed going to Hudson — about 40 minutes east of the Twin Cities — might have kept the marriage under wraps. Ponder said it was just the two of them on Monday but that they will have a bigger ceremony in the offseason.
"It was important for us to get it done before the holidays and a lot of personal reasons that went into it," Ponder said.
News broke of the romance in October when Ponder confirmed the two were dating. Ponder said they were hoping to keep the relationship a secret but knew it would eventually get out. He confirmed later they were engaged on Dec. 4 but refused to get into details.
Ponder said the two met when Steele's live ESPN show was at Florida State, where Ponder was the Seminoles' starting quarterback before being drafted in the first round by Minnesota last year. Ponder added that Steele has visited him in Minnesota often since the relationship began.
"They call me Mr. Steele," Ponder said in October, adding: "Christian Steele is kind of a sweet name."
Steele also confirmed the union via Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Twitter is so tricky. Who knew that 'she's pregnant' & 'they'll be divorced soon' are just the 2012 version of 'congrats'! Thx guys! :)"
With two games remaining this season, the Vikings are trying to earn a playoff berth with Ponder in his second year as a starter. The timing of the nuptials has brought attention because of Minnesota's postseason push, but Ponder said it hasn't been a distraction to him or the team.
"It was a good thing to happen, but it's not going to be a distraction," Ponder said. "I'm still putting in the time that I did Monday and Tuesday and for the rest of the week. . . . (I understand) how big of a game this is for myself and this team. It's important for me."
The Vikings (8-6) travel to Houston Sunday to take on the Texans (12-2).
Ponder has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He has a 78.6 quarterback rating, which ranks 25th in the league.
"I knew it was on the radar, didn't know when," coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he got it done."
Follow Brian Hall on Twitter.
- Fair Haven Camp finding ways to help kids
- A man from Vinalhaven is accused of attacking a woman and a young boy
- A Bangor man will spend a year and a half in prison for selling cocaine
- A Surry man is hospitalized after a near drowning in Sullivan
- DHHS issues a warning to remind people to wash your hands at fairs and stay safe
- Regulators level playing field with herring limits expanded to Massachusetts
- Proposed changes to Baxter Woods in Portland
- Waterville budget causing contreversy
- MDOT announces Union St. bridge work
- Fire destroys Waldoboro house
- Dover Foxcroft man is accused of selling illegal drugs in the Belfast area
- Man takes plea deal in Old Port shooting and now will testify against other defendant
- Three transported to hospital after multi-vehicle crash in Hampden
- Sex offender waiting on sentence
- Pillsbury sentenced to 50 years for murdering girlfriend in 2013
- Warren man gets eight months in jail
- Congressman tours two facilities while pushing for protecting and growing jobs in Maine
- Four people killed, child injured in shooting at Texas apartment complex
- Hungary prime minister says Trump is better candidate for Europe
- Hundreds honor teen suffering from fatal disease at prom-themed party
- Wildfire north of Los Angeles prompts hundreds of home evacuations
- DNC rules committee turns back effort to abolish superdelegates
- Clinton, Sanders compromise could limit role of superdelegates in future campaigns
- Toxic algae bloom closes Utah lake, sickens more than 100 people
- University of Florida linebacker stops sexual assault
- University of Florida linebacker stops sexual assault outside bar
- Kaine says Trump would be 'trash-talking president' in debut as Clinton running mate
- Kaine makes Clinton campaign debut amid backlash from the left
- Border Patrol detains Canadian teens who crossed border playing 'Pokemon GO'
- Trump pushing for a 'Philly fight?'
- Kerry: Air conditioners as big a threat as ISIS
- Authorities announce arrest in disappearance of college student whose bike was found in Ohio cornfield
- Wikileaks dump appears to show DNC favored Clinton campaign
- Munich gunman obsessed with mass shootings, sent out invitations to mall before rampage, cops say
- The 'world's healthiest burger' has 50 ingredients
- Rihanna To Join 'Bates Motel' Cast To Play Famous Janet Leigh 'Psycho' Scene
- Comic-Con: 'Fear The Walking Dead' Introduces Newest Cast Member
- Former 'Bachelor' Ben Higgins Has Decided Not To Run For Public Office In Colorado
- Bobby Brown Welcomes Third Child With Wife Alicia Etheredge
- Justin Bieber Drops New Track 'Cold Water' With Major Lazer
- Edward Snowden On Oliver Stone's Film About Him: It's A "Pretty Accurate Portrayal."
- Edward Snowden On Oliver Stone's Film About Him: It's A "Pretty Accurate Portrayal"
- MTV's 'Teen Wolf' To End After 6 Seasons
- Estate Of Former Beatle George Harrison Doesn't Want Donald Trump Using His Music
- Estate Of Former Beatle George Harrison Doesn't Want Donald Trump Using Harrison's Music
- Jon Stewart Back Behind A Late Night Desk After RNC
- Roger Ailes Out As Head Of Fox News Channel After 20 Years
- Davies shuts down Cubs, leads Brewers to 6-1 win
- Giancarlo Stanton, Jose Fernandez help Marlins bounce back against Mets
- Australia's Min Woo Lee wins US Junior Amateur
- Kyle Busch rolls to another dominating XFINITY win at Indy
- Kyle Busch wins NASACAR Xfinity Series race at Indy _ again
- WNBA withdraws fines for players who wore black shirts during pregame protests
- Snedeker leads amateur du Toit in Canadian Open
- Pirates rookie pitcher Glasnow forced from second start
- Phillies catcher Rupp leaves game after getting hit in ear
- Charley Hull, England lead UL International Crown
- Police say UF linebacker helped stop sexual assault
- Suggs, Steve Smith among 6 Ravens on PUP list