- Created on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 10:25
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Christian Ponder's development as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback has been slow. He took significantly less time to finish his courtship of ESPN reporter Samantha Steele.
Just a few months after meeting Steele on the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" and two weeks after getting engaged, Ponder confirmed the two were married at a Hudson, Wis., courthouse on Monday afternoon. Ponder, 24, has been surprised by the attention the relationship has received and unsuccessfully tried to keep the marriage out of the public eye.
"We tried to keep the attention away from us and just went over to Wisconsin and had it done," Ponder said Wednesday during his weekly press conference. "So, it was quick, but it was good."
Ponder is used to having the spotlight as Minnesota's second-year starting quarterback, and Steele, 27, is certainly no stranger to the attention. But the two believed going to Hudson — about 40 minutes east of the Twin Cities — might have kept the marriage under wraps. Ponder said it was just the two of them on Monday but that they will have a bigger ceremony in the offseason.
"It was important for us to get it done before the holidays and a lot of personal reasons that went into it," Ponder said.
News broke of the romance in October when Ponder confirmed the two were dating. Ponder said they were hoping to keep the relationship a secret but knew it would eventually get out. He confirmed later they were engaged on Dec. 4 but refused to get into details.
Ponder said the two met when Steele's live ESPN show was at Florida State, where Ponder was the Seminoles' starting quarterback before being drafted in the first round by Minnesota last year. Ponder added that Steele has visited him in Minnesota often since the relationship began.
"They call me Mr. Steele," Ponder said in October, adding: "Christian Steele is kind of a sweet name."
Steele also confirmed the union via Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Twitter is so tricky. Who knew that 'she's pregnant' & 'they'll be divorced soon' are just the 2012 version of 'congrats'! Thx guys! :)"
With two games remaining this season, the Vikings are trying to earn a playoff berth with Ponder in his second year as a starter. The timing of the nuptials has brought attention because of Minnesota's postseason push, but Ponder said it hasn't been a distraction to him or the team.
"It was a good thing to happen, but it's not going to be a distraction," Ponder said. "I'm still putting in the time that I did Monday and Tuesday and for the rest of the week. . . . (I understand) how big of a game this is for myself and this team. It's important for me."
The Vikings (8-6) travel to Houston Sunday to take on the Texans (12-2).
Ponder has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He has a 78.6 quarterback rating, which ranks 25th in the league.
"I knew it was on the radar, didn't know when," coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he got it done."
Follow Brian Hall on Twitter.
- A woman who attempted to buy a couple of Happy Meals for some children isn't so happy today
- Man accused of severely beating his child is now out on bail
- Guilford celebrates 200 years
- End in sight for Ellsworth road work
- 17-year-old accused of robbing cab
- Orono Brewing opens in Downtown Bangor
- Nearly 26 hours of audio recovered from data recorder in sinking of El Faro
- Free admission to National Parks from Thursday through Sunday
- Landlord posts signs to keep 'Pokemon Go' players away
- Pickering Square improvements expected to begin in 2017
- Ellsworth PD use narcan for the first time
- Future of waterfronts in Bangor and Brewer
- Bangor woman indicted of theft charges
- National Guard assist in rescue of hiker on AT
- Howard Johnson Restaurant closing as business has become too slow
- UPDATED: Obama Administration designates national monument
- Race could be Boston Marathon qualifier
- School budget vote set for Wednesday
- State leaders and others respond to national monument designation
- Recent rain helps dry conditions
- Methadone clinic sues city of Bangor
- 12 Tips to Get Your Edible Garden Started
- Terror suspect's alien, Illuminati beliefs show he's unfit for trial, judge rules
- Don't weep for Gawker -- it was no free speech martyr
- Homeland Security investigating Leslie Jones hack
- Sen. John McCain: ObamaCare nightmare may leave 10,000 Americans with no insurance options
- Here's What Your Employees Are Looking for in Their Next Jobs
- The 10 Best Online Courses You Can Enroll In Today for $10
- Ashes of Polish Battle of Britain ace return home for burial
- Ryan Lochte to be summoned to testify in Brazil over gas station skirmish
- Burundi: 8 WhatsApp group members detained for defamation
- Woman hits back at critics who think her C-section offered a 'convenient' birth
- Marines say 2 men didn't help raise 1st flag at Iwo Jima
- Part 2 of Assange interview airs Thursday night
- NFL cheerleader leaves Colts to become pediatric nurse
- Manhunt for violent inmate mistakenly released from Michigan prison
- 'Substantial damage' reported after tornadoes strike Indiana, Ohio
- Dolly Parton wants WHO to play her in a movie?
- Vet who lied his way to Purple Heart cost government $750,000, Justice Dept. claims
- Ryan Lochte In Talks To Join 'Dancing With The Stars' (Reports)
- Eva Longoria Baston Heading To 'Jane The Virgin'
- Rep: Britney Spears Not 'Contributing In Any Way, Shape Or Form' To Lifetime Biopic
- Paisley Park, Home Of Prince, Opens For Public Tours Oct. 6
- Designer Sonia Rykiel, Known For A Relaxed Style, Dies At 86
- Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Perform For Nearly 4 Hours At New Jersey Show
- Elton John, Britney Spears Join Apple Music Festival Lineup
- Leslie Jones' Personal Site Taken Offline After Hacking
- Jennifer Lopez & Casper Smart Call It Quits -- Again (Report)
- Amanda Bynes Returns To Twitter
- Amber Rose To Compete On 'Dancing With The Stars' -- & She Knows Who Her Partner Is!
- John Legend, Olivia Munn & Terry Crews Lined Up For 'Lip Sync Battle: All Stars Live'
- Mariners activate Paxton off DL to start; LeBlanc cut
- Ex-NFL-star Sharper gets 20 years in Louisiana rape case
- The Latest: After US sentence, Sharper goes to state court
- Nationals acquire lefty reliever Rzepczynski from Athletics
- Postscript: After US sentence, Sharper goes to state court
- Kasey Kahne says if he doesn't perform for Hendrick by 2018 'I need to leave'
- Fan falls into Yankees dugout during win over Seattle
- Touchdown! Restaurant's stolen Patriots helmet returned
- Hull confounding grim preseason forecasts in Premier League
- Drury hits sac fly in 11th, D'backs beat Braves 10-9
- Mets-Cardinals preview
- Marlins get OF Jeff Francoeur from Braves in 3-team trade