- Created on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 05:25
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Christian Ponder's development as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback has been slow. He took significantly less time to finish his courtship of ESPN reporter Samantha Steele.
Just a few months after meeting Steele on the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" and two weeks after getting engaged, Ponder confirmed the two were married at a Hudson, Wis., courthouse on Monday afternoon. Ponder, 24, has been surprised by the attention the relationship has received and unsuccessfully tried to keep the marriage out of the public eye.
"We tried to keep the attention away from us and just went over to Wisconsin and had it done," Ponder said Wednesday during his weekly press conference. "So, it was quick, but it was good."
Ponder is used to having the spotlight as Minnesota's second-year starting quarterback, and Steele, 27, is certainly no stranger to the attention. But the two believed going to Hudson — about 40 minutes east of the Twin Cities — might have kept the marriage under wraps. Ponder said it was just the two of them on Monday but that they will have a bigger ceremony in the offseason.
"It was important for us to get it done before the holidays and a lot of personal reasons that went into it," Ponder said.
News broke of the romance in October when Ponder confirmed the two were dating. Ponder said they were hoping to keep the relationship a secret but knew it would eventually get out. He confirmed later they were engaged on Dec. 4 but refused to get into details.
Ponder said the two met when Steele's live ESPN show was at Florida State, where Ponder was the Seminoles' starting quarterback before being drafted in the first round by Minnesota last year. Ponder added that Steele has visited him in Minnesota often since the relationship began.
"They call me Mr. Steele," Ponder said in October, adding: "Christian Steele is kind of a sweet name."
Steele also confirmed the union via Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Twitter is so tricky. Who knew that 'she's pregnant' & 'they'll be divorced soon' are just the 2012 version of 'congrats'! Thx guys! :)"
With two games remaining this season, the Vikings are trying to earn a playoff berth with Ponder in his second year as a starter. The timing of the nuptials has brought attention because of Minnesota's postseason push, but Ponder said it hasn't been a distraction to him or the team.
"It was a good thing to happen, but it's not going to be a distraction," Ponder said. "I'm still putting in the time that I did Monday and Tuesday and for the rest of the week. . . . (I understand) how big of a game this is for myself and this team. It's important for me."
The Vikings (8-6) travel to Houston Sunday to take on the Texans (12-2).
Ponder has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He has a 78.6 quarterback rating, which ranks 25th in the league.
"I knew it was on the radar, didn't know when," coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he got it done."
Follow Brian Hall on Twitter.
- Police track down man who allegedly stole several cars during escape
- Thousands help to find a cure for cancer
- Concerned citizens stand up against hate
- Escaped inmate captured
- Woman seriously injured in Amherst crash
- BREAKING: Bannon is out as top White House strategist
- Penquis reaches backpack collection goal
- Governor LePage finally speaks out on Virginia
- Ellsworth Library celebrating 200 years
- Local doctor shares mission experience with residents
- Marijuana retail sales still a ways in the future
- Windham fire has shut down traffic on Tandberg Trail
- Thursday morning crash shuts down Ohio Street in Glenburn
- Kayaker drowns in Washington County
- Kidnapped woman gets away after abductors can't operate stick shift
- Sam Hunt makes history, explains origin of single 'Body Like a Back Road'
- Missing skinny dipper's body found by off-duty lifeguard
- DeMario Jackson reportedly in talks to join 'Dancing With the Stars' Season 25
- Missouri Democratic state senator apologizes for hoping Trump is assassinated
- Child, 5, dead, parents injured in domestic violence incident at UNC-Chapel Hill
- 1979 Klan-Nazi attack survivor in North Carolina hopes for a 'justice river'
- 1 dead, 2 injured in domestic violence incident at UNC-Chapel Hill
- Prosecutors: Chicago slaying was part of sexual fantasy
- Trump to address nation on Afghanistan
- Pennsylvania coal company to open second mine since Trump took office
- 'The Hitman's Bodyguard' dominates the box office
- Officials say 1 person, not 2, dead in Oregon plane crash
- Chris Christie no longer in running for local sports radio gig
- Falwell backs Trump on Charlottesville, admits president could be more 'politically correct'
- Celebrities react to the death of Jerry Lewis
- Jerry Lewis, comedy icon and philanthropist, dead at 91
- Biology teacher, 45, at LA school packed with celebrity children accused of sex romp with 16-year-old student
- Calvin Harris To Perform At Rihanna's Diamond Ball
- VMAs 2017: Pink To Be Honored With The Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award
- Taylor Swift Vows To Become A Voice For Sexual Assault Victims Following Trial Verdict
- Oprah Winfrey Letting Go Of 'Emotional Burden' Of Weight Struggles
- MTV, Record Label Debate Why 'Despacito' Video Was Left Off VMA Nominations List
- 'Deadpool 2': Female Stunt Driver Dies After On-Set Motorcycle Crash
- Taylor Swift Cries During Court Case Closing Arguments
- Teen Choice Awards 2017: Chris Pratt Makes Post-Split Appearance, Miley Cyrus Cancels Last Minute
- Shonda Rhimes Signs Deal With Netflix
- Teen Choice Awards 2017 To Honor Miley Cyrus, Bruno Mars
- 'Annabelle: Creation' Scares Up $35M At Box Office
- Bruno Mars Donates $1 Million From Concert To Flint Water Crisis
- Kluber leaves start early as Indians romp past Royals, 10-1
- Rays fall to Mariners in Kiermaier's return
- Cardinals place Waino on DL, recall Mayers from Triple-A
- Royals place Soria on DL, recall McCarthy from Storm Chasers
- Boston Red Sox owner considering changing Yawkey Way to ease history of racial intolerance
- Bucks' Antetokounmpo named a favorite to win 2017-18 NBA MVP award
- LeBron James slams Trump as 'so-called president' in Ohio speech
- Slegers helps Twins to win over Indians in MLB debut
- Jay Cutler makes Dolphins debut in preseason loss to Ravens
- Buccaneers dominate first half in preseason victory over Jaguars
- Torre, Steinbrenner confident in Jeter's ability to succeed in front office role with Marlins
- Colts might have to shrink playbook for QBs if Luck remains out