- Created on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 10:25
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Christian Ponder's development as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback has been slow. He took significantly less time to finish his courtship of ESPN reporter Samantha Steele.
Just a few months after meeting Steele on the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" and two weeks after getting engaged, Ponder confirmed the two were married at a Hudson, Wis., courthouse on Monday afternoon. Ponder, 24, has been surprised by the attention the relationship has received and unsuccessfully tried to keep the marriage out of the public eye.
"We tried to keep the attention away from us and just went over to Wisconsin and had it done," Ponder said Wednesday during his weekly press conference. "So, it was quick, but it was good."
Ponder is used to having the spotlight as Minnesota's second-year starting quarterback, and Steele, 27, is certainly no stranger to the attention. But the two believed going to Hudson — about 40 minutes east of the Twin Cities — might have kept the marriage under wraps. Ponder said it was just the two of them on Monday but that they will have a bigger ceremony in the offseason.
"It was important for us to get it done before the holidays and a lot of personal reasons that went into it," Ponder said.
News broke of the romance in October when Ponder confirmed the two were dating. Ponder said they were hoping to keep the relationship a secret but knew it would eventually get out. He confirmed later they were engaged on Dec. 4 but refused to get into details.
Ponder said the two met when Steele's live ESPN show was at Florida State, where Ponder was the Seminoles' starting quarterback before being drafted in the first round by Minnesota last year. Ponder added that Steele has visited him in Minnesota often since the relationship began.
"They call me Mr. Steele," Ponder said in October, adding: "Christian Steele is kind of a sweet name."
Steele also confirmed the union via Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Twitter is so tricky. Who knew that 'she's pregnant' & 'they'll be divorced soon' are just the 2012 version of 'congrats'! Thx guys! :)"
With two games remaining this season, the Vikings are trying to earn a playoff berth with Ponder in his second year as a starter. The timing of the nuptials has brought attention because of Minnesota's postseason push, but Ponder said it hasn't been a distraction to him or the team.
"It was a good thing to happen, but it's not going to be a distraction," Ponder said. "I'm still putting in the time that I did Monday and Tuesday and for the rest of the week. . . . (I understand) how big of a game this is for myself and this team. It's important for me."
The Vikings (8-6) travel to Houston Sunday to take on the Texans (12-2).
Ponder has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He has a 78.6 quarterback rating, which ranks 25th in the league.
"I knew it was on the radar, didn't know when," coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he got it done."
Follow Brian Hall on Twitter.
- Maine's drought declared over
- Anah Shriners to hold screening clinics
- Legislation hopes to cure Maines broadband woes
- Legislation to fight against mosquito aims to combat spread of Zika
- Hampden chase suspect indicted by grand jury
- Machais home destoyed over night by fire
- Truck fire closes down I-95
- Man arrested on drug charges has been on officials "radar"
- Money raised for Mount Desert Island Hospital matched by the Manton Foundation
- Maine's monument not on the list of President Trump's monument review
- Convicted killer Sally Schofield is released from prison
- High court upholds murder conviction
- Late night incident in Old Town still under investigation
- Morning fire destroys home in Greenbush
- Mercedes Schlapp on Michael Flynn asking for immunity
- Russia investigation: Adam Schiff releases statement after viewing docs shown to Nunes
- Anti-allergy medicine EpiPen recall expands to US
- Company linked to Trump-Russian dossier has its own Kremlin connection, US senator says
- Kushner retains scores of real estate holdings while in WH
- Lauren Green reveals her 'Lighthouse Faith'
- Berkeley protests: Hundreds rally after Coulter talk canceled, at least 6 arrested
- Are Dems overreaching with Russian conspiracies?
- Haley accuses Russia of allowing Syria to deny needed aid
- London anti-terror raids: Woman shot, 4 arrested, police say
- Woman reported man was abused at home for mentally disabled
- Berkeley protests: Hundreds rally after Coulter talk canceled, at least 4 arrested
- Senate confirms Alexander Acosta to head Labor Department
- Flynn records reveal information on foreign payment advisory
- Fox News Poll: 53 percent favor military action to stop North Korea nukes program
- Lawyer: 'Infowars' host Jones often acts like 'cult leader'
- Canadian sent to US prison for smuggling immigrants in 1999
- Woman convicted in mom's death; case tied to found remains
- 'Star Wars: Episode IX' Sets Release Date
- Tom Cavanagh Talks Directing 'The Flash'
- Beyoncé Marks 'Lemonade' Anniversary With Launch Of New Scholarship Program
- Drake To Host First-Ever NBA Awards
- Scott Baio Clarifies Comments About Late 'Happy Days' Co-Star Erin Moran After Backlash
- Former 'Bachelor' Chris Soules Arrested, Charged With Leaving The Scene Of An Accident Where There Was A Death
- Faye Dunaway Talks Oscars Best Picture Mix-Up
- Elton John Cancels Multiple Concerts After 'Rare & Potentially Deadly' Infection
- 'Chicago P.D.': Exclusive Sneak Peek
- Serena Williams Pens Heartfelt Message To Her Unborn Child: 'I Can't Wait To Meet You'
- Access Hollywood Wants To Send You To Universal Orlando Resort™
- 'iZombie's' Rahul Kohli Talks 'Supergirl' Role
- The Chiefs bet against history by picking Patrick Mahomes
- NFL Draft: Garrett 1st to Browns, Bears trade up for QB Trubisky
- NFL Draft: Cleveland Browns take Myles Garrett with No. 1 pick
- Spieth and Palmer share lead at team event in New Orleans
- Phillies slip by Marlins to take two-game series
- GM McPhee weighs hopes of Vegas hitting NHL lottery jackpot
- Padres look to split series with Diamondbacks Thursday
- Schimpf's homer sparks Padres' 8-5 comeback win over D-backs
- Predators' Fiala out of playoffs after breaking leg
- Levy shoots 63 to take 1-stroke lead at China Open
- Larsson leads Oilers past Ducks 5-3 in wild series opener
- PGA stars: New format in New Orleans boosts fun quotient