- Created on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 10:25
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Christian Ponder's development as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback has been slow. He took significantly less time to finish his courtship of ESPN reporter Samantha Steele.
Just a few months after meeting Steele on the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" and two weeks after getting engaged, Ponder confirmed the two were married at a Hudson, Wis., courthouse on Monday afternoon. Ponder, 24, has been surprised by the attention the relationship has received and unsuccessfully tried to keep the marriage out of the public eye.
"We tried to keep the attention away from us and just went over to Wisconsin and had it done," Ponder said Wednesday during his weekly press conference. "So, it was quick, but it was good."
Ponder is used to having the spotlight as Minnesota's second-year starting quarterback, and Steele, 27, is certainly no stranger to the attention. But the two believed going to Hudson — about 40 minutes east of the Twin Cities — might have kept the marriage under wraps. Ponder said it was just the two of them on Monday but that they will have a bigger ceremony in the offseason.
"It was important for us to get it done before the holidays and a lot of personal reasons that went into it," Ponder said.
News broke of the romance in October when Ponder confirmed the two were dating. Ponder said they were hoping to keep the relationship a secret but knew it would eventually get out. He confirmed later they were engaged on Dec. 4 but refused to get into details.
Ponder said the two met when Steele's live ESPN show was at Florida State, where Ponder was the Seminoles' starting quarterback before being drafted in the first round by Minnesota last year. Ponder added that Steele has visited him in Minnesota often since the relationship began.
"They call me Mr. Steele," Ponder said in October, adding: "Christian Steele is kind of a sweet name."
Steele also confirmed the union via Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Twitter is so tricky. Who knew that 'she's pregnant' & 'they'll be divorced soon' are just the 2012 version of 'congrats'! Thx guys! :)"
With two games remaining this season, the Vikings are trying to earn a playoff berth with Ponder in his second year as a starter. The timing of the nuptials has brought attention because of Minnesota's postseason push, but Ponder said it hasn't been a distraction to him or the team.
"It was a good thing to happen, but it's not going to be a distraction," Ponder said. "I'm still putting in the time that I did Monday and Tuesday and for the rest of the week. . . . (I understand) how big of a game this is for myself and this team. It's important for me."
The Vikings (8-6) travel to Houston Sunday to take on the Texans (12-2).
Ponder has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He has a 78.6 quarterback rating, which ranks 25th in the league.
"I knew it was on the radar, didn't know when," coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he got it done."
Follow Brian Hall on Twitter.
- People boogie for a cause in Old Town
- Easter coming early to downtown
- Learning through LEGOS
- Batman brings Comic Con to Bar Harbor
- 5K runners get astronaut training
- Jonesboro woman pleads guilty to multiple charges
- Scallop distributor reacts to Gulf of Maine closure
- Bangor Drive-In will start the season May 4
- Bangor PD asking for help in locating a man involved in an attack
- New low-cost airline offering flights from California to Spain
- Man shot after forcing his way into a home is now behind bars
- Augusta Sears employees mourn the closing of the store
- Senators Collins and King talk about the London attack
- The 5K that makes you feel like an astronaut
- Veteran forum Saturday to discuss criminal justice system
- Governor fighting Katahdin Woods and Water National Monument
- Man arrested again for stealing power
- Yemen raid yields data on Al Qaeda explosives, official says
- Former Kentucky gov blasts Trump, GOP over ObamaCare claims in Dem rebuttal
- Nicaraguan woman thrown into fire during exorcism, dies
- Watch live: Trump's speech to Congress to tackle ObamaCare, immigration, jobs
- Gold coin in Guinness Book of Records stolen, worth as much as $4.5M
- Val Kilmer can't stop tweeting about Cate Blanchett
- How to wipe your hard drive
- Supervisor: Eurozone bank profits still weak, mergers needed
- China lifts ban on Brazilian beef
- Get a great butt workout with these 5 simple moves
- What's 'invisible baldness'? 6 warning signs you may be at risk
- British, Scottish leaders to meet amid independence dispute
- 22 people killed in 2 road accidents in India
- Morning brief: Kushner to lead White House office of American Innovation
- Expat Turks begin voting in referendum on president's powers
- Poland questions legality of Tusk's EU re-election
- Bulgaria near final results give pro-EU party clear victory
- Rule Britannia: firms bet on British allure to get by Brexit
- 'Mean Girls' Musical Sets World Premiere Dates
- George Clooney Pays Surprise Visit To UK Fan
- Penelope Cruz To Play Donatella Versace In 'American Crime Story'
- 'Wonder Woman' Star Gal Gadot Welcomes Baby No. 2
- 'Big Bang Theory' Renewed For 2 More Seasons
- President Trump's Son Eric To Become A First-Time Father
- Kim Kardashian West Opens Up About Being Robbed In Paris On 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians'
- Katy Perry Talks About Her Sexuality At The Human Rights Campaign 2017 Gala Dinner
- 'Modern Family's' Rico Rodriguez Mourns The Loss Of His Father
- Bella Hadid Vacations In Jamaica: See The Photos
- 'Beauty And The Beast' Tops The Box Office With $170 Million Debut
- Jake Gyllenhaal & Ryan Reynolds On The Friendship They Formed While Filming 'Life'
- March Madness: Men's college basketball Final Four set
- Ducks soar in 6-3 win over Rangers, returning Lundqvist
- Flyers score 4 goals in third, beat Penguins 6-2
- Hutchinson, Lowry lift Jets over Canucks 2-1
- Seguin OT goal keeps Dallas alive in the playoff chase
- Johnson wins Match Play to sweep World Golf Championships
- Germany, England, Poland stay on course in WCup qualifying
- Defoe makes scoring return as England beats Lithuania 2-0
- Johnson, Rahm win to set up powerful title match
- Lewis Hamilton says Mercedes have a fight on with Ferrari in F1 2017
- Gonzaga's national title chance a breakthrough moment
- Rangers remain road warriors with 3-0 win at Kings