- Created on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 05:25
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Christian Ponder's development as the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback has been slow. He took significantly less time to finish his courtship of ESPN reporter Samantha Steele.
Just a few months after meeting Steele on the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" and two weeks after getting engaged, Ponder confirmed the two were married at a Hudson, Wis., courthouse on Monday afternoon. Ponder, 24, has been surprised by the attention the relationship has received and unsuccessfully tried to keep the marriage out of the public eye.
"We tried to keep the attention away from us and just went over to Wisconsin and had it done," Ponder said Wednesday during his weekly press conference. "So, it was quick, but it was good."
Ponder is used to having the spotlight as Minnesota's second-year starting quarterback, and Steele, 27, is certainly no stranger to the attention. But the two believed going to Hudson — about 40 minutes east of the Twin Cities — might have kept the marriage under wraps. Ponder said it was just the two of them on Monday but that they will have a bigger ceremony in the offseason.
"It was important for us to get it done before the holidays and a lot of personal reasons that went into it," Ponder said.
News broke of the romance in October when Ponder confirmed the two were dating. Ponder said they were hoping to keep the relationship a secret but knew it would eventually get out. He confirmed later they were engaged on Dec. 4 but refused to get into details.
Ponder said the two met when Steele's live ESPN show was at Florida State, where Ponder was the Seminoles' starting quarterback before being drafted in the first round by Minnesota last year. Ponder added that Steele has visited him in Minnesota often since the relationship began.
"They call me Mr. Steele," Ponder said in October, adding: "Christian Steele is kind of a sweet name."
Steele also confirmed the union via Twitter on Wednesday morning: "Twitter is so tricky. Who knew that 'she's pregnant' & 'they'll be divorced soon' are just the 2012 version of 'congrats'! Thx guys! :)"
With two games remaining this season, the Vikings are trying to earn a playoff berth with Ponder in his second year as a starter. The timing of the nuptials has brought attention because of Minnesota's postseason push, but Ponder said it hasn't been a distraction to him or the team.
"It was a good thing to happen, but it's not going to be a distraction," Ponder said. "I'm still putting in the time that I did Monday and Tuesday and for the rest of the week. . . . (I understand) how big of a game this is for myself and this team. It's important for me."
The Vikings (8-6) travel to Houston Sunday to take on the Texans (12-2).
Ponder has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,527 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He has a 78.6 quarterback rating, which ranks 25th in the league.
"I knew it was on the radar, didn't know when," coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he got it done."
Follow Brian Hall on Twitter.
- Taking care of Maine lakes
- Car show donates motorcycle to disabled veterans
- Bangor Symphony moves to new home
- Fairfield PD warns of car break-ins
- Thursday morning fire damages home
- Two adults and a juvenile arrested in Patten
- Tobacco bill passes the Senate
- Republicans offer budget compromise
- Second body found from boating accident
- Acadia advisory commission allowed to resume meetings
- King speaks out against Senate Health Care Bill
- Crash in Westfield caused when woman wanted a pic of a bear
- Man run over by police cruiser during chase
- Composite Lodge donates a building that will be used to educate children
- Bangor Pride Week ends with parade and festival on Saturday
- State of Maine made a video to help people prepare for their drivers test
- Supreme Court: Will Justice Kennedy retire this month?
- Professor says N. Korea detainee got what he 'deserved'
- Chaffetz: Justice watchdog also looking into Lynch's role into FBI's Clinton email probe
- Tropical Storm Cindy causes minor flooding across South as rain continues
- Israel strikes Syrian positions after fire toward it
- Connecticut hotel workers train to spot human trafficking
- A Russian as UN counter-terrorism czar? Bad idea
- Colorado officer in Pence motorcade injured after crashing motorcycle
- Egypt's president ratifies disputed Saudi islands pact
- Arrest leads to major break in 1988 cold case murder of 2 Texas teens
- 8 coal miners killed in Colombia from underground blast
- 2 Dutch journalists freed unharmed by Colombian rebels
- Ex-doctor charged in pill mill scheme dies after being shot
- Trump questions why Obama allegedly did 'nothing' about Russia hacking, in Fox interview
- MS-13 gang leader pleads guilty to drug, gun charges
- Marc Thiessen: America is on its way to divorce court
- America is on its way to divorce court
- Trump, Pence to attend Treasury Secretary Mnuchin's wedding
- Oscar Winner Daniel Day-Lewis Is Retiring From Acting
- Prodigy Of Hip-Hop Duo Mobb Deep Dies At 42
- 'Bachelor In Paradise' Review Declares No Evidence Of Misconduct, Show Will Resume Production
- Dave Chappelle Will Host Rihanna's Diamond Ball; Kendrick Lamar To Perform
- 'Jumanji' Sequel Stars Jack Black & Nick Jonas Pay Tribute To Robin Williams
- John Legend Postpones Concert Dates Due To Illness: 'I Will Get Healthy'
- Miles Teller Released After Being Arrested On Suspicion Of Public Intoxication
- Adele Visits London Firefighters Following Grenfell Tower Fire
- Paris Jackson Stuns On Vogue Australia Cover
- Carrie Fisher Autopsy Report Reveals Late Actress Had Multiple Drugs In Her System
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Gets Premiere Date
- 'American Ninja Warrior': Watch Kacy Catanzaro's Qualifier Run (Exclusive Sneak Peek)
- Lightning make 5 picks on day two at 2017 NHL Draft
- Florida loses first game in College World Series to TCU
- Marlins bounce back with shutout vs. defending champs
- Panthers select right wing Owen Tippett with 10th overall pick
- Sonoma Raceway shows Dale Earnhardt Jr. some major puppy love
- Lightning unveil logo, announce special events celebrating 25th anniversary
- Earnhardt on running Daytona 500 again: Well, you never say never
- Roundup of 2017 NBA Draft grades for Minnesota Timberwolves
- Twins call up Hildenberger, Gee, designate Wimmers, Melotakis for assignment
- LA Clippers take South Carolina's Thornwell in draft
- Padres host Tigers for weekend series
- NBA Draft: Philadelphia 76ers select Markelle Fultz No. 1 overall