Tampa, FL (SportsNetwork.com) - Dale Weise tallied with 1:52 remaining in overtime, as the Montreal Canadiens got the jump on the Tampa Bay Lightning by a 5-4 count in Game 1 of this Eastern Conference quarterfinal.
- Created on Wednesday, 16 April 2014 22:43
Weise was the recipient of a pass by Danny Briere from behind the goal line and to the edge of the right circle, where he netted his first career playoff marker with a successful wrister.
Brian Gionta and Lars Eller picked up a goal and assist each for the Canadiens, while Tomas Plekanec and Thomas Vanek also lit the lamp for the third-place team in the Atlantic Division.
Carey Price picked up the win despite stopping just 21-of-25 shots.
Steven Stamkos scored twice, including the game-tying goal with just over 6 1/2 minutes left in regulation, for the Lightning. Nikita Kucherov and Alex Killorn also produced goals in the setback.
Subbing for the injured Ben Bishop, Anders Lindback's first career NHL playoff start went well despite the loss, as the rangy Swede came up with 39 saves.
Game 2 in this best-of-seven set is scheduled for Friday in Tampa.
Kucherov opened the scoring just after the midway point of the opening period, sliding a shot between Price's pads from the slot. Plekanec evened things only 19 seconds later, taking an Alexei Emelin pass and beating Lindback high to the far side on the left wing.
Stamkos put the hosts ahead with a laser shot from the right circle off an end-to-end rush at 13:24 of the second period, then Lindback sealed off the upper quadrant of the net on the ensuing shift and Plekanec's unchecked bid from in front caromed off the left post.
Gionta's short-handed breakaway netted two scoring chances, and the last one slid past Lindback for a 2-2 game with 3:21 left in the second.
The back and forth continued as the game wore on.
Eller's rush up the right wing resulted in a successful wrister from the high slot that gave the Canadiens a 3-2 advantage with 5:10 played in the third. Just over two minutes later, Killorn's one-timer from the left circle off a Habs turnover made it 3-3 on the Bolts' first shot of the period.
Vanek untied it off a slick pass from David Desharnais in a 2-on-2 situation with 8 1/2 minutes left in regulation, but Stamkos tapped in a Killorn feed off a 2-on-1 for a 4-4 game less than two minutes later.
The Bolts survived a high-sticking infraction to Killorn with 2:01 left in the third period, and Price got a pad on an open Killorn chance with eight minutes left in overtime.
Montreal's Max Pacioretty had a half-open net inside of three minutes to go in the extra session, but flipped the shot off the left post.
This is the second time the two franchises have met in the postseason, with the Lightning sweeping Montreal in four games in the Eastern Conference semifinals during its 2004 Stanley Cup championship season ... Montreal earned its first playoff overtime victory since a 3-2 decision at Washington in Game 1 of the East quarterfinals on Apr. 15, 2010 ... Tampa Bay suffered its first postseason OT defeat since falling by a 3-2 count in double overtime at Pittsburgh on Apr. 20, 2011 in Game 4 of an Eastern quarterfinal ... Bolts forward Ondrej Palat left the game in the third period and did not return with an upper-body injury ... Lindback's only previous playoff experience was a 13- minute, nine-save performance for Nashville in 2011.
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Governor says he'll be the education commissioner
- Maine filmmakers release romantic comedy
- Sen. King to host opiate discussion in Bangor on Friday
- New business to be geared towards outdoor activities
- Two Maine companies are giving back
- Seven people arrested for dealing heroin and cocaine
- Candidates turn their focus to the next primary in South Carolina
- Attack in Hollis ends in one arrest
- Playboy's first non-nude model Sarah McDaniel may have posed naked anyway
- FBI, foundation controversies missing from Clinton questioning at debate
- Double shooting at Arizona high school, emergency teams respond
- Two girls dead after shooting at Arizona high school
- South Korea cuts off water, power to border area in standoff with North Korea
- Kidnapping trial focuses on whether teenage girl chose to leave home
- Liam Neeson was 'joking' about dating 'incredibly famous' woman
- Infestation of ants removed from girl's ear
- Alyssa Milano thinks 'Charmed' reunion is 'going to happen'
- Florence Henderson talks 'tough' childhood, why she became a hypnotherapist
- Fuel van without driver strikes plane at Boston airport
- HGTV stars release country music song, video 'Hold On'
- Ex-pharma CEO Shkreli offers Kanye West $10M for upcoming album
- Virginia high school nixes 'white guilt' video after criticism
- How impoverished but nuclear-armed North Korea earns money
- US, Russia and UN say Syria fighting 'cessation' to take effect next week
- Ohio police kill man who allegedly attacked people with machete
- At least 4 injured in machete attack at Ohio restaurant
- Does Bernie Sanders really want to win? Three Democratic debate takeaways
- Fear pervasive after Mexican prison riot that killed 49
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash on ObamaCare; join in slamming police
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash over Wall Street ties
- Differences Undefined? Clinton, Sanders unite in police criticism amid testy debate
- Clinton, Sanders clash over Obama, more at testy debate
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50