- Category: Sports
- Created on Saturday, 15 December 2012 19:23
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 638
Mike Ricci made it clear he didn’t enjoy his time filming “The Ultimate Fighter.”
The 26-year-old Canadian’s disappointment continued in the TUF finale, as he was upset by Army Ranger Colton Smith via a unanimous decision at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas on Saturday night.
“He came in the house and whooped the crap out of everybody,” Smith said. “He’s a very dangerous opponent. I had to be careful with him. I couldn’t find the finish.”
Smith earned a six-figure UFC contract and a Harley-Davidson with his victory in the Season 16 finale, which was scored 30-27, 30-27, 30-26 by the three judges.
Ricci vs. Smith didn’t lack drama -- some of which Ricci carried into the Octagon with him.
Ricci said on a conference call before the fight that he wouldn’t view TUF favorably even if he won Saturday. Ricci added he “didn’t enjoy it one bit.”
Still, he entered as the favorite, both for his longer resume and the fact he trains at the one the world’s top MMA gyms, Tristar Gym in Montreal, alongside Georges St-Pierre and Rory MacDonald.
But Smith stuck to what he knows best during the entire bout: wrestling. The former Army wrestler was on Ricci’s back for nearly the entire three-round bout, almost securing a choke hold that would have ended it on a couple occasions.
Ricci rallied with 45 second left in the third, getting atop Smith and then nearly applying an armbar. Smith, however, escaped and remained out of trouble as the clock ticked down.
In the other co-main event, Smith’s coach, Roy Nelson, earned a TKO victory over Matt Mitrione with two minutes left in the first round of the heavyweight bout. Nelson staggered Mitrione -- who had lost his mouthpiece earlier -- with a right uppercut, and a few haymakers later, the fight was called.
“It's the first time I actually threw combos,” Nelson said. “That’s why I can’t wait to fight JDS (Junior dos Santos) or Cain (Velasquez). I learned this combo thing now.”
Mitrione stepped in for Shane Carwin, the coach who opposed Nelson in TUF 16. Carwin suffered a serious knee injury last month, another setback for the injury-prone veteran.
This bout also marked the end for what had been a turbulent tenure for Nelson in TUF, as he was criticized for being one of the worst mentors in TUF history.
Ultimate Fighter aside, the entire FX card delivered. Nine of the 11 bouts on the card ended with stoppages.
On the main card, Shane Del Rosario controlled much of the first round in his bout against Pat Barry. Del Rosario nearly applied what would have been a fight-ending choke, but Barry made it out of the round and then quickly became the aggressor moments into the second round with an overhand left to Del Rosario’s face.
The blow staggered Del Rosario, and Barry knocked him out a couple blows later with a brutal right hand.
“I said since Day 1, I’m throwing heat or I’m throwing nothing,” Barry said after the fight as he fought back tears. “I’m either going to win all the way or lose all the way. There is no in between.”
And in the first contest on the main card, Dustin Poirier and Jonathan Brookins went all out for four minutes. Brookins had the edge early in the first round as he caught Poirier with a couple solid strikes.
“He hurt me early on against the fence, and I just started throwing wild,” Poirier said in the post-fight interview. “Luckily, I clipped his chin and made him back up a little bit.”
Clipped his chin he did. Poirier backed Brookins against the fence into a vulnerable spot. Brookins, in desperation, shot for the leg and Poirier applied a D'arce choke. Poirier tapped out seconds later.
The only blemish on this event was the postponement of the fight between Jamie Varner and Melvin Guillard. Varner fell violently ill and a doctor from the Nevada State Athletic Commission ruled that the bout could not be held.
Guillard wasn’t buying it. He said Varner’s people accused him of “greasing” before the fight was called off.
“I get out of my suit and start warming up and not even 20 minutes later they come in and say, ‘Hey, they are going to scratch your fight. Varner is throwing up,’” Guillard said. “I thought it was a joke.”
FUEL TV’s Ariel Helwani reported that the bout will be moved to the UFC 155 undercard on Dec. 29.
“I’m upset,” Guillard said. “I cut 30 pounds to make weight. I did my camp right. I was in great shape, and I was ready to fight. What he’s done tonight is very cowardly. I saw the look in his eyes at the weigh-in. I could tell he didn’t want to fight me.”
- Reports: Marilyn Manson injured during New York concert
- McCain condemns isolationist politics, calls it 'unpatriotic'
- Atlanta mom charged with murder after allegedly putting 2 young sons in oven
- North Korea: 'Nuclear war may break out any moment'
- Behind the dramatic rescue of American-Canadian couple from Haqqani captivity
- NBA coach calls Trump 'a pathological liar' following comments about soldiers killed in Niger
- State of emergency declared in Florida county ahead of Richard Spencer speech
- Ohio man charged in 4 slayings still held without bond
- China's Xi looks to extend power at Communist Party congress
- Congo bank helped Hezbollah-linked company avoid US sanctions, report says
- Pregnant woman who survived Las Vegas massacre gives birth 2 days later
- Study: 1 out of 8 US residents is an immigrant
- Columnist: Left's sirens have sparked a culture war
- Mother who taped toddler to wall reportedly pleads guilty to charges
- California adds 'non-binary' gender option on state licenses
- Tucker: Harvey hypocrite Lisa Bloom is feminist for hire
- Tracing the long money trail between Weinstein, the Clintons
- Callista Gingrich confirmed by Senate as Vatican ambassador
- Janet Jackson And Ciara Hit Disneyland For Fairytale Playdate With Their Kiddos
- Anthony Bourdain Supports Girlfriend Asia Argento In Social Media Posts
- Bruno Mars Performs Incredible Acoustic Version of 'That's What I Like' – Watch!
- EXCLUSIVE: Get A Sneak Peek at Season 3 Of 'DC's Legends of Tomorrow'
- Khloé Kardashian & Kylie Jenner Are Totally Twinning – See The Pics!
- 'DWTS' Eliminates Fan Favorite Derek Fisher During 'Most Memorable Year' Week
- Lea Michele, Darren Criss, Ryan Murphy & More Have An Epic 'Glee’ Reunion At The Elsie Festival
- Jennifer Garner Proves She's Still A 'Band Geek' At College Football Game
- Blue Ivy Looks Just Like Beyoncé When She Was A Kiddo – See The Pic!
- Prince Harry Announces Mental Health Partnership With Armed Forces In Emotional Speech
- Taylor Swift Surprised Fans On Instagram & They Totally Freaked Out
- Jason Aldean Returns To Las Vegas One Week After Mass Shooting
- Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino fired following corruption, fraud investigation
- National anthem protests: Florida man takes 'Boycott the Jags and the NFL' message to sky
- Tokyo's 1964 Olympic flame went out four years ago, report says
- Chargers edge Raiders on Novak's late field goal
- Al Michaels apologizes for comparing Giants to Harvey Weinstein
- Colin Kaepernick files grievance accusing NFL owners of collusion
- Green Bay Packers' Aaron Rodgers could miss rest of season with broken collarbone
- Colin Kaepernick files grievance accusing NFL owners of collusion, report says
- Buccaneers lose QB Jameis Winston to injury, can't complete comeback in loss to Cardinals
- Philadelphia Eagles' Marcus Johnson baptized in hotel pool with teammates by his side
- Dodgers top Cubs in Game 1 of NL title series
- Astros top Yankees, take Game 1 of AL title series