Philadelphia, PA (SportsNetwork.com) - EUROPEAN TOUR - WGC-CADILLAC CHAMPIONSHIP, The Blue Monster Course at Trump National Doral, Miami, Florida - One of the most famous courses on the PGA Tour recently re-opened after undergoing a complete renovation since last year's tournament.
- Created on Monday, 03 March 2014 16:51
The Blue Monster Course at Trump National Doral was totally redone by noted architect Gil Hanse. Some of the changes include longer first and ninth holes and the ninth green was shifted closer to the 18th green to create more of an amphitheater feel.
Also, the 10th tee was moved well left so the players tee shot has a longer carry over water, the par-3 15th was shortened, but more water was added into play, and the 16th was also shortened, but water was moved closer to the green.
World No. 1 Tiger Woods cruised to his seventh title at this event last year. He was 13-under par after two rounds and only needed a 71 in the final round to win by two strokes over Steve Stricker.
Woods' health is a big question mark this week though. He withdrew from The Honda Classic during Sunday's final round with a back injury. At this point, he remains in the field.
Woods has won this title seven times overall, including five in a six-year span from 2002-07.
If Woods can't go, the field will still have four former winners - Justin Rose, Nick Watney, Ernie Els and Phi Mickelson. If Woods does remain in the field, all 50 from the current world rankings are slated to tee it up together for the first time since 2012 PGA Championship.
Thanks to his win Sunday at The Honda Classic, Russell Henley will make his second straight appearance at this championship. He failed to break 70 last year en route to tying for 28th.
Golf Channel will have television coverage Thursday and Friday and then early coverage on the weekend before handing off to NBC.
The European Tour will be in Morocco next week for the Trophee Hassan II, where Marcel Siem won last year.
PUERTO RICO OPEN, Trump International Golf Club - Puerto Rico, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico - The PGA Tour offers the Puerto Rico Open for those that did not qualify for the WGC-Cadillac Championship.
Scott Brown birdied the final hole of regulation, while Fabian Gomez bogeyed the same hole to hand Brown his first PGA Tour title.
Both players return to the event this year with world No. 69 Brooks Koepka, the top ranked player competing this week. That are plenty of big names in the field, including former major winners - Lee Janzen, David Toms, John Daly, David Duval, Trevor Immelman and Y.E. Yang.
Jordan Spieth and Ryo Ishikawa earned sponsors invites the last two years, and both took advantage. Spieth shared second, while Ishikawa finished solo second last year.
Golf Channel will have tape-delayed coverage of all four rounds.
The PGA Tour will be back in Florida next week for the Valspar Championship, where Kevin Streelman won by two strokes last year.
CHLIE CLASSIC, Prince of Wales Country Club, Santiago, Chile - The Web.com Tour continues its four-event swing outside the United States to start the year.
Last year, Kevin Kisner fired an 11-under 61 in the third round, then closed with a 68, which was enough for a 1-stroke win over Edward Loar and Brice Garnett.
Kisner has moved on to the PGA Tour. With the new wrap-around schedule, he has made eight start already, but his best finish was a tie for 20th at The McGladrey Classic.
Former PGA Tour players like Nick Flanagan, Richard S. Johnson, Shaun Micheel, Peter Lonard, Skip Kendall, Kyle Reifers and Brett Wetterich are in the field at Prince of Wales Country Club.
The tour moves to Brazil next week for the Brasil Champions, Benjamin Alvarado won last year.
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Mother of Columbine killer Dylan Klebold said she never realized her son was troubled
- Spanish man skipped work for 6 years, still got paid
- Fire guts Kentucky's historic Rabbit Hash General Store
- GOP candidates wake up, reload, resume attacks started in SC debate
- More than 200 college students report mystery stomach illness
- Driver in crash that killed 5 had just left jail after DUI arrest
- 'Deadpool' shatters box office records with $135M opening
- Women rescued trying to cross Atlantic Ocean in rowboat
- Political battle brews over replacing Scalia, as high court decides on immigration, other key issues
- Find out who made the cover of 'Sports Illustrated' Swimsuit cover
- Prostitute found dead on New York beach likely strangled, Dr. Baden says
- UK band Viola Beach killed in road accident near Stockholm
- Kanye West's 'ALL CAPS' Twitter rant after negative fashion review
- Mississippi police officer shot in face while investigating armed robbery
- When medication doesn't work: Innovative program eases ADHD symptoms naturally
- Hawaii declares state of emergency over Zika virus, dengue fever outbreak
- Five killed when car driving wrong way slams into SUV in Ohio
- Bitter wind chill creates dangerous conditions across Northeast
- US urges Turkey to stop attacks on Kurdish allies
- GOP Debate: Trump verges on tantrums; Rubio, Bush and Cruz all have solid night
- Good Samaritan saves trapped, screaming motorist from burning car, continues on to work
- Fireworks erupt between Trump and Bush, Rubio and Cruz at GOP debate
- Supreme Court Justice Scalia dead at 79
- Authorities arrest suspect who killed mom, 2 children in New York hotel room
- Rihanna, Usher, Stevie Wonder & John Legend Help Honor Lionel Richie
- Lenny Kravitz Joins The Roots For Pre-Grammy Session
- Rihanna Debuts New Collection For Puma
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence is donating $2 million to a Kentucky hospital after visiting
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50