- Created on Saturday, 29 December 2012 00:40
For the second consecutive year, Wisconsin's football team devoured its opponent — not literally, thankfully — on Friday night at the Lawry's Beef Bowl, an annual tradition between the two teams competing in the Rose Bowl. Much like years past, the carnivore carnage was colossal.
According to official scorers, Wisconsin's bulky bunch belied up and ate 619 pounds of prime rib as a team to edge Stanford, which ate 602 pounds of meat. Unlike the odds for this year's Rose Bowl, Wisconsin entered the Beef Bowl at Lawry's Prime Rib Restaurant as a considerable favorite.
Last year, Wisconsin put away Oregon by eating 723 pounds of prime rib compared to the Ducks' 612. In 2010, TCU edged Wisconsin 670-650.
You can call Wisconsin the princes of prime rib or the masters of meat. But recent history suggests the Badgers' reign may not necessarily translate to a victory on the football field.
In the past two Rose Bowls, Wisconsin has lost 21-19 to TCU in 2011 and 45-38 to Oregon in 2012. For what it's worth, the mythical Beef Bowl champion has gone on to win the Rose Bowl 39 times in the past 56 years (.696 winning percentage).
Wisconsin interim coach Barry Alvarez, who has coached the Badgers in three other Rose Bowls (and Beef Bowls), noted he didn't put a limit on the amount of prime rib his players could eat.
"I didn't tell them anything," Alvarez said. "I was going to say something, but these guys are smart enough. Especially the starters. If we want somebody to eat a lot of beef to set a record, they've got to be a scout squad guy. Somebody that's not going to play in the game."
Unofficially, the always-eventful race for individual eating champion ended in a tie.
Stanford's athletic website reported that freshman offensive guard Joshua Garnett, a 6-foot-5, 325-pounder, ate seven of the 24-ounce cuts of prime rib during the Cardinal's turn Thursday night. No other Stanford players were believed to have eaten more than four cuts of meat.
"He wasn't even fazed at the end," Cardinal tight end Zach Ertz told the team website. "He said he could have eaten at least three more pieces. He said it could have easily been 10, but he ran out of time."
Wisconsin's sports information department, meanwhile, reported that redshirt sophomore Dallas Lewallen, a 6-6, 309-pound offensive lineman, also ate seven prime rib cuts, usurping the crown from Badgers center Travis Frederick, the two-time defending individual eating champion.
Frederick, the Badgers' 6-4, 338-pound starting center, said he used his knowledge to help Lewallen "train" for the event.
"The training has to do with the eating regimen the week before," Frederick said. "He's always been a big eater. You've got to be careful the night before. You've got to stretch out your stomach. You've got to eat a lot. Last year I went to a restaurant and had a lot of wings and did what I could to stretch it out and took the day of fasting to get myself ready. I think he's followed that same plan."
Frederick, who consumed eight prime rib cuts last year and seven the year before, purposely dialed down his appetite on Friday and didn't chase the all-time record. That record is believed to be held by Michigan's Ed Muransky, who ate 10 prime rib cuts in 1978.
"This year the focus for me is really on the game," Frederick said before the event. "I think sometimes events like this can be a little bit distracting. I do love the food here. It's really delicious. I'll definitely eat my fill, but hopefully not eight this year."
Alvarez, for one, was grateful Frederick didn't try.
"I want to make sure that he can bend over the ball," Alvarez said. "We have a lot of big guys that I'm sure can put away a lot of beef. He doesn't have to try to impress anybody."
Follow Jesse Temple on Twitter.
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Governor says he'll be the education commissioner
- Madeleine Albright says controversial remark at Clinton rally was wrong context at wrong time
- Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia 1st to draw lifetime drug ban
- Former Va. Gov. Gilmore ends 2016 presidential bid
- AT&T says 5G will be 100 times faster than LTE and may even launch this year
- Expert: Kim Jong Un may have gone too far
- NJ comic's movie bit part backfires, results in gun charge
- Cops arrest teen for hack and leak of DHS, FBI data
- 'Deafening silence:' Obama, 2016 Dems mum on recent police deaths
- 'American Guns' star surrenders after Grand Jury indictment on illegal arms sales, tax evasion
- Sen. Harry Reid calls on Grayson to drop out of Senate race
- Barry Manilow rushed to hospital
- Love is... We asked, you answered
- Fox News Reporting: Voter Revolt
- Playboy's first non-nude model Sarah McDaniel may have posed naked anyway
- FBI, foundation controversies missing from Clinton questioning at debate
- Double shooting at Arizona high school, emergency teams respond
- Two girls dead after shooting at Arizona high school
- Two teen girls dead in shooting at Arizona high school
- Two teen girls dead in murder-suicide at Arizona high school
- South Korea cuts off water, power to border area in standoff with North Korea
- Kidnapping trial focuses on whether teenage girl chose to leave home
- Liam Neeson was 'joking' about dating 'incredibly famous' woman
- Infestation of ants removed from girl's ear
- Alyssa Milano thinks 'Charmed' reunion is 'going to happen'
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50