Lytham St. Annes, England – Hoylake, England (SportsNetwork.com) - Dustin Johnson has been done in by a single drive at one major and by a penalty at another.
- Created on Saturday, 19 July 2014 14:27
Saturday at the Open Championship, it was a 3-hole stretch the did him in.
Johnson played in the final group with leader Rory McIlroy, and closed within two strokes after making birdie at the first. Johnson, the 2011 runner-up, made par on his next five holes.
The eight-time PGA Tour winner found sand off the seventh tee, and that led to a bogey. His drive on eight found rough, then he found sand with his approach.
Johnson walked off with another bogey there, and his problems weren't finished. He found the right rough on the par-3 ninth and failed to get up and down for par.
The three straight bogeys dropped him to minus-6, where he trailed by six strokes. He did manage to fight back with a three birdies on the back nine to finish at 9-under, but he is seven off the pace after starting the day four behind.
Johnson is in line for this third top-10 finish at the Open Championship, but he'd rather be in line for his first major championship title.
WOODS FRONT NINE ISSUES CONTINUE
He may have started on the 10th tee on Saturday, but it continued to be the front nine of the golf course that has done Tiger Woods in this week.
Woods birdied the first and ninth on Saturday to raise his total number of birdies on the front nine to three for the week. However, he double-bogeyed the second and triple-bogeyed the seventh after losing his drive in a gorse bush.
The three-time Open champion is 7-over par for the week on the front nine and 4-under par on the back nine. Granted, if you turned those six over-par holes into pars, he'd still be 13 strokes off the lead. In reality, Woods is 19 behind leader Rory McIlroy.
Woods' bigger fight on Sunday won't be to win the tournament, it will be to earn FedExCup points and Ryder Cup points.
He is 212th in FedExCup points, 333 points behind 125th place, which is where he needs to get to qualify for the playoffs. No player has been that far down the FedExCup standings at this point in the year and qualified for the playoffs.
Woods is 72nd in Ryder Cup points and trails ninth place Zach Johnson by 2632.636 points. Johnson currently sits in the last automatic qualifying spot.
One more streak Woods is looking to continue. He starts the final round tied for 58th. He has never finished outside the top-30, as a professional, at the Open Championship.
SCOTT QUIETLY SHARES SEVENTH PLACE
After getting a prime tee time the first two rounds, world No. 1 Adam Scott was bunched in the middle of the pack on Saturday, four groups behind the leaders.
The 2013 Masters winner started his third round with nine pars in a row, then he double-bogeyed the par-5 10th to fall to minus-1.
Scott, who bogeyed the final four holes to lose the 2012 Open Championship, inched his way back up the leaderboard with five birdies over his final eight holes.
He will enter the final round tied for seventh. Scott has finished second and third at the last two Open Championships, and has finished inside the top 10 in seven of the last 11 majors overall.
* The largest blown lead by a 54-hole leader at the Open Championship was a five shots. MacDonald Smith (1925) and Jean Van de Velde (1999) were the unlucky ones to lose their big leads.
* The largest come-from-behind win was in 1999 when Paul Lawrie rallied from 10 back to beat Van de Velde.
* McIlroy rallied from a 7-shot deficit earlier this year to win at Wentworth.
* The toughest hole in round three was the par-4 seventh, which averaged 4.32 strokes on the day. It has also been the most difficult through three rounds averaging 4.40 strokes through 54 holes.
* For the second day in a row, the par-5 fifth was the easiest hole as it averaged 4.61 strokes. Through three rounds, the par-5 10th has been the easiest hole as it averaged 4.64 strokes for the first three days.
- A new sandwhich shop opens its doors in Brewer!
- Joe Baldacci drops out of 2nd District race
- Maine Couple told to stop selling diet pills
- Habitat for Humanity is looking for some help from the community to give a family a home
- Penobscot Theatre February vacation camp includes new themed activities
- Police are looking for a man they say fled from a car crash
- Beware tax scams, IRS will not contact you by phone or email
- Report shows tax dollars being misused
- The Bangor Humane Society is inviting kids in the area to come make crafts
- Warmer weather is affecting events in Greenville
- Opening day of National Toboggan Races cancelled
- More limitations being placed on scallop fishermen
- The Coast Guard aided a disabled 65 foot fishing boat
- Suspicious fire in Oakland under investigation
- Wife of ISIS leader charged in US in death of American hostage Kayla Mueller
- Hugh Jackman reveals fourth battle with skin cancer on Instagram, shares post-op photo
- Senate report: Illegal immigrants benefited from up to $750M in ObamaCare subsidies
- Pentagon confirms North Korea launched satellite into orbit
- Casey Anthony launches her own photography business
- Pro-choice group cries foul over Doritos commercial 'Ultrasound'
- Bus bound for casino crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Porn actress drops lawsuit against Josh Duggar
- David Bowie, Beyonce both told Coldplay they hated their songs
- Why no one wanted 'The Notebook' role
- NFL star eyed in assault of off-duty cops in Philadelphia
- Cruise ship tossed in hurricane-force storm turning around, officials say
- NASA bans the word 'Jesus'
- Governors roar into NH primary, seek to disrupt Rubio's 'Marcomentum'
- Former ISIS sex slaves now army of ‘Sun Ladies’ ready to defeat terror group
- Runner dies after starting 5-mile Krispy Kreme Challenge
- At least 2 killed in apartment fight involving bats, sticks
- New England braces for up to 18 inches of snow as blizzard approaches
- Coldplay's latest video draws flak for portrayal of India
- Woman who drank heavily for decades develops fatty humps
- Samantha Bee's late night show 'Full Frontal' won't have guests, sketches
- James Corden, Cindy Crawford recreate sexy Pepsi Super Bowl ad
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- 'Kung Fu Panda 3' Tops Weekend Box Office
- Alejandro Inarritu Wins AT DGA Awards For 'The Revenant'
- Beyonce Drops Surprise Single Ahead Of Super Bowl Halftime Performance With Coldplay
- Benedict Cumberbatch, Emma Watson Named Visiting Fellows At Oxford College
- James Corden Recreates Classic Super Bowl Ad With Cindy Crawford For 'Late Late Show'
- Cindy Crawford & James Corden Recreate Her Classic Super Bowl Ad For 'The Late Late Show'
- Michael B. Jordan Wins Big At NAACP Image Awards
- Iggy Azalea Dishes On Her Sophomore Album
- Bruno Mars Finally Confirms Super Bowl Performance
- Adele Might Not Like It, But Donald Trump Can Use Her Music
- Rapper Meek Mill Given 3 Months House Arrest For Parole Violation
- Solange Knowles Loses Wedding Ring During Mardi Gras Parade
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50