- Created on Tuesday, 15 January 2013 19:55
PHOENIX — As Australian pole vaulter Steve Hooker trained on the track at Paradise Valley Community College on Tuesday morning, a crowd began to grow beside him.
The crowd, which grew to as many as 50 people, wasn't there to see Hooker, who won a gold medal at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, or his impressive vaults. Few, if any, even knew who the world-class athlete was. They were more interested in the guy throwing a medicine ball against a net over and over.
That guy? Tim Tebow.
Word got out Monday that the NFL's most talked-about backup quarterback had made his way to Arizona, and it spread quickly. Overzealous fans began wondering if the New York Jets backup might somehow end up quarterbacking the offensively inept Arizona Cardinals. (Since the Cards are currently without a head coach, there's virtually no chance that such speculation has any merit.) Others just wanted to get a glimpse of the former GQ coverboy, who spent about four hours training at the Phoenix-area college Tuesday.
"I just heard he was here and wanted to see if I could see him," one waiting fan said.
You'd think that a unicorn had wandered onto campus. The crowd, watching Tebow run, stretch and generally stand around, featured mostly PVCC students — some admittedly skipping class — while others had made a special trip in hopes of catching a glimpse of Tebow.
"I can't believe he's at our school," said one.
"I'll stay as long as I have to," said another, hoping for an autograph.
"I seriously just ran all the way over here," one breathless onlooker told her friends.
A few fans posed for photos with Tebow when he arrived, but the crowd that gathered over the course of his workout mostly left disappointed.
As Tebow wrapped up his workout after more than three hours, a few young fans decided to simply charge onto the track toward the quarterback, which prompted roughly 40 others to do the same. The bold fans got their photo, while the rest of the crowd was turned around by a coach.
The scene was just the latest in the ongoing circus that has followed Tebow since he starred at the University of Florida and later led the Broncos on an unlikely playoff run in 2011. His legend grew when he was traded to the Jets and major sports networks began devoting segment after segment to the league's most popular backup.
Tuesday's workout was a clear indicator the fascination with Tebow is alive and well. Never mind that he attempted just eight passes — completing six — this season and only carried the ball 32 times, fans want to know what's next for Tebow. He likely won't be back with the Jets after a tenuous end to the 2012 season.
Inquisitors learned nothing Tuesday. After snapping a few photos, Tebow slipped out a back exit, hopped into a silver Ford SUV and rode off, giving only a slight wave from the back seat.
Hey, when the circus comes to town, people are going to show up.
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Governor says he'll be the education commissioner
- Maine filmmakers release romantic comedy
- Sen. King to host opiate discussion in Bangor on Friday
- New business to be geared towards outdoor activities
- Two Maine companies are giving back
- Seven people arrested for dealing heroin and cocaine
- Candidates turn their focus to the next primary in South Carolina
- Attack in Hollis ends in one arrest
- The presidential race has made its way to Maine
- Sanders campaign breaks fundraising efforts as donations average $34
- Body found under frozen lake
- Director of Houlton Shelter Resigns, Police Investigating
- Man arrested for sexual assault, his victim is 11 year old girl
- Bangor Historical Society invites you to make Valentines
- Maine Discovery Museum host February vacation camp
- Maine Audubon is putting on exciting camps for students during February vacation
- Connecticut State Trooper has been shot and killed by a Maine man
- Maine corporation charged with growing marijuana is ordered to pay fine
- Cats abandoned at shelter over night
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash on ObamaCare; join in slamming police
- Diplomats in Munich agree to Syria cease-fire in a week
- Fargo police say officer shot during standoff dies
- University of Rochester scientists create 'super polymer' that can lift 1,000 times its mass
- Do or Die: Nevada lawmaker describes convincing last Oregon holdout to surrender
- Locals fume as EPA reveals Gold King mine spill much worse than initially stated
- Top terror groups focused on targeting planes, DHS secretary says
- State Dept. IG subpoenaed Clinton Foundation in 2015
- Final Oregon refuge occupier turns himself in
- World's longest-surviving heart transplant patient dies
- 'House of Cards': It's Frank vs. Claire in the Season 4 trailer
- Hundreds of people, including strangers, attend funeral for homeless Army vet
- Meryl Streep responds to questions about diversity: 'We’re all Africans really'
- Downing of EgyptAir 990 inspired 9/11 plot, says Al Qaeda newsletter
- Final Oregon refuge occupier delays turning himself in
- 8 top tactical Valentine's Day gifts for men
- With Christie and Fiorina out, where will their supporters go?
- Police: Cop killed wife, son, torched home then shot himself
- Criminal charges brought against 'Star Wars' producers over Harrison Ford accident
- ISIS relying on child soldiers, drugged fighters as grip on Mosul slips
- Scientists find evidence of gravitational waves predicted by Einstein
- Wife of man accused of leaving child in hot car to die files for divorce
- At least 52 inmates dead after riot, fire at Mexico prison
- Remaining Oregon refuge occupiers say they'll turn themselves in
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- First 'Fuller House' Trailer Debuts: 'Damn, We All Still Look Good!'
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50