- Created on Sunday, 10 February 2013 17:09
Right-hander Felix Hernandez remains on track to sign a monster contract with the Seattle Mariners, but the two sides continue to work out the final language in the deal, according to major league sources.
The deal likely will include protective language to guard against the possibility of Hernandez suffering a specific elbow injury during the course of his deal, one source indicated.
Hernandez last week agreed to a seven-year, $175 million contract with the M’s, according to major league sources. ESPN.com reported Sunday that an issue with Hernandez’s elbow is a concern for the club.
The FOXSports.com source indicated that the team could finalize Hernandez’s deal “in a day or two.” However, Hernandez has two years remaining on his current deal, and a source in the pitcher’s camp has said that Hernandez and his agents are in “no hurry” to resolve the matter.
“There are many issues,” the source said.
According to a source, Hernandez took a physical on Thursday. It is not clear whether the examination revealed simple wear-and-tear in Hernandez’s elbow, or a larger problem.
Hernandez has thrown 1,620 1/3 innings in his career, the fourth-highest total since 1969 for a pitcher before his 27th birthday, behind Bert Blyleven, Fernando Valenzuela and Dwight Gooden, according to STATS LLC.
Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik, without commenting on Hernandez’s elbow, said in an e-mail Sunday that the pitcher was on his way to the team’s training facility in Peoria.
“He will be here tonight and take part Tuesday with the entire squad as usual,” Zduriencik said, referring to the Mariners’ first workout for pitchers and catchers.
Hernandez recently bowed out of pitching for his native Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic, but Zduriencik told MLB.com that the pitcher has been throwing normally for the last month at Safeco Field.
The inclusion of protective language in major contracts has become increasingly common as clubs seek to minimize the risk of players getting injured.
The Boston Red Sox negotiated such language into right-hander John Lackey’s five-year, $82.5 million free-agent deal in December 2009. The agreement included a conditional club option for 2015 if Lackey missed significant time for a pre-existing elbow injury. Lackey underwent Tommy John surgery in November 2011 and missed the entire 2012 season.
The New York Yankees negotiated similar language for a vesting option in left-hander CC Sabathia’s most recent deal. The $25 million option for 2017 becomes guaranteed if Sabathia does not end ’16 on the disabled list with a left-shoulder injury, does not spend more than 45 days in ’16 on the DL with a left-shoulder injury or does not make more than six relief appearances in ’16 because of a left-shoulder injury.
Red Sox first baseman Mike Napoli and Pittsburgh Pirates left-hander Francisco Liriano also had protective language inserted into their free-agent contracts this offseason, and the Chicago Cubs backed out of a trade for right-hander Dan Haren because of physical concerns.
- Connecticut State Trooper has been shot and killed by a Maine man
- Maine corporation charged with growing marijuana is ordered to pay fine
- Cats abandoned at shelter over night
- Love and Zombies on Valentine's Day
- Belfast Bay Inn voted one of the most romantic
- Winter Beach Ball to be held in Bangor
- Two in Sanford arrested for heroin trafficking
- Portland stabbing happened after car accident
- A violent, vicious crime, 73 yr old raped at gunpoint
- School bus catches fire, all students evacuated without injury
- Sanders wins in NH, he finds out while shooting hoops
- Hampden officials say they are working hard to economic development
- Killer mom appeals murder sentence
- Governor withdraws nominess for Education Committee
- A Waterville man is accused of carrying out a terrifying crime
- Officials warn people to leave seal pups alone
- Pulse Marketing holds first web marketing seminar in Bangor
- Evening of romance at BSO Valentine's concert
- Trump, Kasich, Cruz, Rubio, Bush: What NH results mean to the still-alive five
- City workers in San Diego barred from uttering 'biased' term 'Founding Fathers'
- San Diego backs off ban of 'gender-biased' term 'Founding Fathers'
- Sanders aims to boost appeal among minority voters after NH win
- Deputies wounded, suspect killed after shooting at Maryland Panera
- Official: Top Clinton aides also handled ‘top secret’ intel on server
- Missouri boy, 3, found dead in frigid van
- 'The View' hosts 'Feeling the Bern' after Bernie Sanders sit-down
- Johnny Depp stars as Donald Trump in hour-long 'Funny or Die' spoof
- Iranian TV anchor flees country, citing sexual harassment from her boss
- Missouri police hunt for boy, 3, as frigid weather grips search area
- 'Adventures of Tom Sawyer' Child Star Tommy Kelly dead at 90
- Michigan teen's 'promposal' to disabled best friend goes viral
- Emails appear to show how key Clinton aide manipulated media coverage
- Trump pushes back on newspaper attacks, says Christie should stay in race
- Body of 22-year-old found in Walmart lot may have been there for months
- Music publisher doesn't own 'Happy Birthday,' has to pay back $14 million
- The Sherp ATV is the life-size Tonka truck you've been craving since childhood
- Matt Lauer asks Katie Holmes about his interview with Tom Cruise
- 'NCIS' recap: The dye is cast when a deep sea diver is killed
- 'NCIS' recap: The die is cast when a deep sea diver is killed
- 'NCIS' recap: The 'dye' is cast when a deep sea diver is killed
- Mayim Bialik flashes Piers Morgan two times on TV
- Texas nanny allegedly held hostage at home, forced to work 20-hour shifts
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- First 'Fuller House' Trailer Debuts: 'Damn, We All Still Look Good!'
- 'The Flash': Danielle Panabaker Talks Killer Frost, Deathstorm & Zoom
- Taylor Swift Leads iHeartRadio Award Nominations
- Michael Douglas Among Those Honored By AARP
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50