- Category: Sports
- Created on Thursday, 01 November 2012 11:49
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 446
The Miami Marlins, in hiring their new manager, have turned to an old friend.
Former catcher Mike Redmond, who played for the Marlins from 1998 to 2004, will replace Ozzie Guillen, according to a major-league source.
Redmond, 41, received a three-year contract, and the Marlins also have rehired Perry Hill to be their first base and infield coach, the source said. Hill was with the Marlins from 2002 to ’07.
The Marlins fired Guillen last month after he completed the first year of a four-year, $10 million contract. Redmond was much more affordable – his only previous managing experience was with the Toronto Blue Jays’ Class A Dunedin affiliate last season.
Former major-league manager Larry Bowa, Tigers hitting instructor Lloyd McClendon and Reds pitching coach Bryan Price also interviewed for the Marlins’ vacancy. Price withdrew from consideration last week.
News of Redmond's hiring first was reported by CBSSports.com.
- Bangor woman indicted of theft charges
- National Guard assist in rescue of hiker on AT
- Howard Johnson Restaurant closing as business has become too slow
- UPDATED: Obama Administration designates national monument
- Race could be Boston Marathon qualifier
- School budget vote set for Wednesday
- State leaders and others respond to national monument designation
- Recent rain helps dry conditions
- Methadone clinic sues city of Bangor
- I-95 crash sends one to the hospital
- Sentence stands for former top drug prosecutor
- Governor LePage offers statement on Elliotsville Land transfer
- Police K-9 academy taking place
- Bangor given $30,000 check from Jimmy Buffett concert
- Winslow votes to close school
- A man has passed away following a collision with a moose in Jackman
- NTSB: El Faro audio includes captain's abandon ship order
- Lottery scandal prosecutor seeks to subpoena Texas attorneys
- U. of Chicago to frosh: No 'safe spaces' here
- Maryland school district mum on 'transgender' bunk mates
- School district: Mum's the word about transgender bunk-mates
- The Latest: Islamic State recruit thanks FBI for his arrest
- Volatile mix in Syria war puts new strain on US strategy
- Documents: Soviets worried about detente after Nixon quit
- At least 1 reported dead, 25 wounded in attack on American University of Afghanistan
- Model raising awareness of rare condition that caused leg to double in size
- Israel clears forces in several deadly 2014 Gaza war cases
- Growth of Central American armies poses threat to democracy
- 'Affluenza' teen's mom is freed from house arrest, returns to bar
- At least 1 reported dead, 14 wounded in attack on American University of Afghanistan
- Should testosterone filled female sprinter run with girls?
- Tennessee's choice: Repeal underage DUI law or give up $60M
- Mississippi Islamic State recruit gets 8 years in prison
- Kerry in Saudi Arabia for meetings on Yemen war impasse
- Bella Thorne Says She's Bisexual
- AFI Cancels 'Birth Of A Nation' Screening Amid Nate Parker Controversy
- CMT Sets Premiere Date For 'Nashville' Season 5
- Will Simone Biles Be On 'Dancing With The Stars'?
- Lawsuit Filed Over Railing Collapse At Snoop Dogg Concert
- Pharrell To Receive Clive Davis' Legend In Songwriting Award
- Ciara Joins Celebrity Judges Panel For Miss America Pageant
- US Women's Gymnastics Team Flips Over Broadway's 'Hamilton'
- Britney Spears Carpool Karaoke: Sneak Peek
- Nick Cannon Begins His Freshman Year At College At Howard
- Amber Tamblyn Slams Nude Donald Trump Statues: 'Body Shaming Is Never Okay'
- Former 'Law & Order' Star Steven Hill Dies At 94
- Injuries, suspensions plagued Bills at training camp
- Jaguars' Denard Robinson practicing with heavy heart
- Steelers Heyward ready to work on defensive line
- Florida State's Walker looking to build on last season
- NASCAR Sprint Cup races to be featured on Snapchat
- Darrell Waltrip will be front and center at Darlington Raceway
- Timberwolves' Towns chosen as face of 2K mobile app
- Katie Ledecky throwing out first pitch as Nats host Orioles
- US tennis player Madison Keys, 21, feels both young and wise
- Premier League stars face early-season clampdown by refs
- Phillies-White Sox preview
- Mets' Niese leaves start in first inning with left knee pain