- Category: Sports
- Created on Thursday, 01 November 2012 11:49
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 444
The Miami Marlins, in hiring their new manager, have turned to an old friend.
Former catcher Mike Redmond, who played for the Marlins from 1998 to 2004, will replace Ozzie Guillen, according to a major-league source.
Redmond, 41, received a three-year contract, and the Marlins also have rehired Perry Hill to be their first base and infield coach, the source said. Hill was with the Marlins from 2002 to ’07.
The Marlins fired Guillen last month after he completed the first year of a four-year, $10 million contract. Redmond was much more affordable – his only previous managing experience was with the Toronto Blue Jays’ Class A Dunedin affiliate last season.
Former major-league manager Larry Bowa, Tigers hitting instructor Lloyd McClendon and Reds pitching coach Bryan Price also interviewed for the Marlins’ vacancy. Price withdrew from consideration last week.
News of Redmond's hiring first was reported by CBSSports.com.
- Fair Haven Camp finding ways to help kids
- A man from Vinalhaven is accused of attacking a woman and a young boy
- A Bangor man will spend a year and a half in prison for selling cocaine
- A Surry man is hospitalized after a near drowning in Sullivan
- DHHS issues a warning to remind people to wash your hands at fairs and stay safe
- Regulators level playing field with herring limits expanded to Massachusetts
- Proposed changes to Baxter Woods in Portland
- Waterville budget causing contreversy
- MDOT announces Union St. bridge work
- Fire destroys Waldoboro house
- Dover Foxcroft man is accused of selling illegal drugs in the Belfast area
- Man takes plea deal in Old Port shooting and now will testify against other defendant
- Three transported to hospital after multi-vehicle crash in Hampden
- Sex offender waiting on sentence
- Pillsbury sentenced to 50 years for murdering girlfriend in 2013
- Warren man gets eight months in jail
- Georgia news anchor falls to her death from North Carolina waterfall
- 148 million years later, dinosaur quarry remains a cold case
- Syrian refugee arrested in machete murder in Germany
- Trump: France may face more screening after terror attacks
- Sanders: I would have preferred Warren over Kaine for VP pick
- IOC decides against complete ban on Russians from Rio Olympics
- Mom of Gilgo Beach victim Shannan Gilbert found dead, other daughter charged
- AP Source: IOC decides against complete ban on Russians from Rio Olympics
- 'The fix was in': Trump camp stokes Dem tensions over emails suggesting anti-Sanders bias
- Sanders to speak at convention, while DNC Chair Wasserman Schultz reportedly sidelined
- Dem boss reportedly sidelined at convention, Sanders demands new leadership
- Wasserman Schultz ousted from convention role amid email leak
- Wasserman Schultz sidelined from convention as more emails show Sanders slams
- Remains found believed to be missing Ohio college student
- Munich killer had planned his attack for a year, investigators reveal
- Burned body found as wildfire burns near Los Angeles
- ASEAN split on how to deal with China in South China Sea row
- Four people killed, child injured in shooting at Texas apartment complex
- Next Chapter Of "Star Trek" franchise Will Be Called "Star Trek: Discovery"
- Brie Larson Cast As 'Captain Marvel'
- Rihanna To Join 'Bates Motel' Cast To Play Famous Janet Leigh 'Psycho' Scene
- Rihanna Cast For Famous 'Psycho' Shower Scene In 'Bates Motel' Finale
- Comic-Con: 'Fear The Walking Dead' Introduces Newest Cast Member
- Former 'Bachelor' Ben Higgins Has Decided Not To Run For Public Office In Colorado
- Bobby Brown Welcomes Third Child With Wife Alicia Etheredge
- Justin Bieber Drops New Track 'Cold Water' With Major Lazer
- Edward Snowden On Oliver Stone's Film About Him: It's A "Pretty Accurate Portrayal."
- Edward Snowden On Oliver Stone's Film About Him: It's A "Pretty Accurate Portrayal"
- MTV's 'Teen Wolf' To End After 6 Seasons
- Estate Of Former Beatle George Harrison Doesn't Want Donald Trump Using His Music
- Siegemund clinches 1st WTA title with Swedish Open
- White Sox suspend top pitcher Chris Sale for shredding uniforms
- Chicago Cubs activate veteran reliever Joe Nathan
- Rio Athletes Village faces leaks, power outages; Australia refuses to move in
- St. Louis Rams give fans 1 more chance to relive memories
- Bengals release safety Taylor Mays
- South Korea, Japan advance in UL International Crown
- Everything you need to know about the Brickyard 400
- All hype aside, who really has what it takes to win today's race?
- Twins outlast Red Sox for 11-9 win
- Davies shuts down Cubs, leads Brewers to 6-1 win
- Giancarlo Stanton, Jose Fernandez help Marlins bounce back against Mets