- Category: Sports
- Created on Thursday, 01 November 2012 11:49
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 466
The Miami Marlins, in hiring their new manager, have turned to an old friend.
Former catcher Mike Redmond, who played for the Marlins from 1998 to 2004, will replace Ozzie Guillen, according to a major-league source.
Redmond, 41, received a three-year contract, and the Marlins also have rehired Perry Hill to be their first base and infield coach, the source said. Hill was with the Marlins from 2002 to ’07.
The Marlins fired Guillen last month after he completed the first year of a four-year, $10 million contract. Redmond was much more affordable – his only previous managing experience was with the Toronto Blue Jays’ Class A Dunedin affiliate last season.
Former major-league manager Larry Bowa, Tigers hitting instructor Lloyd McClendon and Reds pitching coach Bryan Price also interviewed for the Marlins’ vacancy. Price withdrew from consideration last week.
News of Redmond's hiring first was reported by CBSSports.com.
- Unique take on the Christmas Carol
- Expressing creativity through snowflake ornaments
- Interactive Nutcracker showcase gets families dancing
- Waterfall Arts craft fair supporting local artists
- Ellsworth Police are receiving scam reports
- Wreaths Across America journey begins
- Plane makes an emergency landing at Bangor International Airport
- Penobscot Sheriffs forgo shaving for charity
- Police investigate murder/suicide
- Pedestrian hit by car in Madawaska
- Two arrested in Hancock on drug charges
- Search for missing Bangor man extended to Old Town
- Search continues for Medford woman
- Teen killed in crash after car left road and hit tree
- State police investigating deaths of a man and a woman
- Bangor retail stores talk about their big Christmas sellers
- Portland listed as choice destination on the rise
- Augusta woman to be sentenced for robbery
- 10 health and fitness gifts moms really want
- Northeast to receive fresh bout of lake-effect snow and chill before week’s end
- World's biggest LNG supplier Qatar merges 2 gas producers
- Smartwatch can help detect signs of heart attack for at-risk patients
- Spain plans $528M in environmental taxes to meet EU goals
- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter arrives in Iraq to assess Mosul fight
- Iran says it's finalized $16.6B Boeing deal to buy 80 planes
- 38 dead and 155 wounded in twin bomb attack near Istanbul stadium
- Blast at Egypt's main Coptic Christian cathedral kills 22, injures dozens
- Blast at Egypt's main Coptic Christian cathedral kills 25, injures dozens
- Italian foreign minister looks poised to get premier's job
- Romanians began voting in parliamentary election
- Twin bomb blasts near market in northeast Nigerian city
- Kuwait seats new government after parliamentary elections
- South Korea indicts ex-presidential aide in scandal probe
- Schumer: Check transit employees against terror watch lists
- Day of mourning declared in Turkey after twin blasts kill 29
- University of Michigan, Google create Flint water crisis app , website
- Kesha & Madonna Get Emotional At The Billboard Women In Music 2016 Event
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Is Ok With Donald Trump's Involvement With 'The New Celebrity Apprentice'
- A Judge Finalizes Khloe Kardashian's Divorce From Lamar Odom
- A Judge Finalizes Khloe Kardashian & Lamar Odom's Divorce
- 'Silicon Valley' Star T.J. Miller Arrested On Suspicion Of Battery, Police Say
- Kerry Washington Steps Out For First Time Since Welcoming Baby No. 2
- 'The Vampire Diaries': Candice King & Zach Roerig Preview Midseason Finale
- Hollywood Legend Kirk Douglas Celebrates 100th Birthday
- Megan Mullally Hints At Possible 'Will & Grace' Revival
- Savannah Guthrie Gives Birth To Her Second Child!
- Taylor Swift & Zayn Malik Drop Surprise Single For 'Fifty Shades Darker'
- Louis Tomlinson's Mother Has Died Of Leukemia
- Alinghi wins extreme sailing series
- Davis returns to lineup as Pelicans visit Suns
- Traded players square off as Senators visit Ducks
- Brazel wins Hong Kong Open for 1st European Tour title
- Paul has 20 points, 20 assists, 0 turnovers to lead Clippers
- Paul leads Clippers to season-high 133 points vs Pelicans
- Emery, Haws lead BYU past Colorado 79-71
- Loyola Marymount edges Cal State Northridge 69-68
- Rider holds off Pacific 73-66 in Gotham Classic
- Couture, Labanc help lead Sharks past Hurricanes 4-3
- Hamilton scores twice, Flames beat Jets 6-2 for 6th straight
- Seattle coasts to 90-49 win over Great Falls