- Category: Sports
- Created on Thursday, 01 November 2012 07:49
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 679
The Miami Marlins, in hiring their new manager, have turned to an old friend.
Former catcher Mike Redmond, who played for the Marlins from 1998 to 2004, will replace Ozzie Guillen, according to a major-league source.
Redmond, 41, received a three-year contract, and the Marlins also have rehired Perry Hill to be their first base and infield coach, the source said. Hill was with the Marlins from 2002 to ’07.
The Marlins fired Guillen last month after he completed the first year of a four-year, $10 million contract. Redmond was much more affordable – his only previous managing experience was with the Toronto Blue Jays’ Class A Dunedin affiliate last season.
Former major-league manager Larry Bowa, Tigers hitting instructor Lloyd McClendon and Reds pitching coach Bryan Price also interviewed for the Marlins’ vacancy. Price withdrew from consideration last week.
News of Redmond's hiring first was reported by CBSSports.com.
- Kidnapped woman gets away after abductors can't operate stick shift
- Sam Hunt makes history, explains origin of single 'Body Like a Back Road'
- Missing skinny dipper's body found by off-duty lifeguard
- DeMario Jackson reportedly in talks to join 'Dancing With the Stars' Season 25
- Suspect who was subject of manhunt charged with murder
- South Africa cannibalism case leads to 5 arrests
- Virginia officials renaming Jefferson David Highway, asking internet for ideas
- Experts plan world's biggest sailing cargo ship
- Google may take on Surface and MacBook laptops with the Chromebook Pixel
- Parents arrested after teacher smells pot on boy's backpack
- Drunk driver smashed into 17 cars while trying to park: cops
- The Latest: Spain: Police find bomb belt in attacks workshop
- Downpours to persist in Florida as tropical system lingers near southeastern US coast
- Yemen officials: Saudi-led coalition strikes hotel, many die
- 'Time for Jews to leave Europe?' Is Barcelona's chief rabbi right?
- Saudi police arrest teenage boy for dancing in the street
- Mongolian lawmakers call on prime minister to resign
- Powerball Jackpot-Top 10 largest US Jackpots
- Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi & Jenni 'JWoww' Farley Headed To VH1
- Morgan Freeman To Receive SAG Life Achievement Award
- Forbes Top 10 Highest-Paid Actors Include Mark Wahlberg & Adam Sandler
- George Clooney & Amal Clooney Donate $1M To Fight Hate Groups
- Taylor Swift Returns To Social Media With Mysterious Video
- 'The Hitman's Bodyguard' Tops The Box Office
- Comedy Legend Jerry Lewis Dies At 91 In Las Vegas
- Comedian & Civil Rights Activist Dick Gregory Has Died At 84
- Tina Fey Returns Returns To 'Weekend Update,' Blasts Trump Over Charlottesville
- Robin Thicke's Girlfriend Announces Pregnancy
- Katy Perry Pushes Back Tour Dates Due To 'Unavoidable Production Delays'
- Barack Obama's Charlottesville Response Is The Most-Liked Tweet In History
- Corbin dominates -- again -- and Martinez homers for D-backs
- Rays hold on in the 9th to secure W over Blue Jays
- Salvy's back, 'Sonic Slam' Cam returns to Omaha
- Packers safety Clinton-Dix looks to make off-field impact
- Badgers TE Fumagalli named to preseason All-America second team
- Cleveland Browns players kneel in prayer during national anthem, largest anthem protest in NFL history
- Preview: Rays and Jays back at it again, this time at The Trop
- Aguilar homers twice as Anderson, Brewers beat Rockies 8-4 (Aug 20, 2017)
- Bucks: Player reported knee pain while training in Greece
- LB Chris Orr comes full circle for Wisconsin after injury
- Twins put Sano on DL with shin injury, recall Vargas
- Leonard Fournette among Jaguars who won't play in third preseason game