Miami, FL (SportsNetwork.com) - The Philadelphia 76ers started the season with a win over the Miami Heat and ended the campaign in the same fashion.
- Created on Wednesday, 16 April 2014 22:45
What happened in between the other 80 games defined a major difference between the two teams.
Thaddeus Young had 20 points and nine rebounds in Philadelphia's 100-87 triumph over the Heat in the regular season finale Wednesday night.
The Sixers (19-63), who began the campaign with a 114-110 win at home over the Heat on Oct. 30, suffered through a NBA record-tying 26-game losing streak this season.
Miami (54-28), the Southeast Division winners, rested regular starters LeBron James, Chris Bosh, and Mario Chalmers. Dwyane Wade started and had 16 points.
The two-time defending NBA champions finished second in the East behind Indiana, and will take on the Charlotte Bobcats in the first round of the playoffs. The Heat have won 16 in a row during the regular season versus the Bobcats and will face them for the first time in the playoffs.
Michael Carter-Williams, a top candidate to win Rookie of the Year, totaled 12 points and six rebounds for the Sixers.
The Heat used a 22-7 spurt to take a 27-19 lead in the first quarter, but then trailed 29-27 after 12 minutes. Casper Ware's 3-pointer capped the 10-0 spurt to end the period.
Philadelphia went 10-of-14 from the field in the second to gain a 55-51 halftime edge.
Young's layup finished an 11-2 burst for a 69-59 lead at the midway point of the third, and the Sixers expanded the lead to 84-66 moving to the fourth. Miami was just 5-of-16 from the floor in the third.
The Heat got as close as seven in the fourth when Ray Allen's 3-pointer made it 89-82 with 7:08 remaining, but the Sixers scored the next six points.
Udonis Haslem corralled 10 boards for the Heat ... Toney Douglas scored 13 and Allen 11 for Miami, which shot 10-of-30 from 3-point range ... The Sixers shot 51.4 percent .. Miami's Shane Battier eclipsed 30,000 regular season minutes played over a 14-year NBA career ... The Sixers won for just the second time in the last 18 meetings.
- Rockland man arrested on child porn charges
- Man involved in two high speed chases last week is in custody
- Governor submits state of the state in writing
- Driver allegedly was drinking at time of crash
- Man involved in standoff in court Monday
- A new sandwhich shop opens its doors in Brewer!
- Joe Baldacci drops out of 2nd District race
- Maine Couple told to stop selling diet pills
- Habitat for Humanity is looking for some help from the community to give a family a home
- Penobscot Theatre February vacation camp includes new themed activities
- Police are looking for a man they say fled from a car crash
- Beware tax scams, IRS will not contact you by phone or email
- Report shows tax dollars being misused
- Man trapped under avalanche pulled out 6 days later
- 'OITNB' actress Taryn Manning sues NYC for $10M for 'false arrest'
- Sylvester Stallone almost boycott the Oscars
- 'The Bachelor' recap: Ben dumps bevy of blondes in The Bahamas
- Jim Shockey on daughter Eva: She represents hunters so well
- 'War Room' producer Stephen Kendrick wants more faith and family in Hollywood
- At least 2 killed, 100 others injured in Germany train collision
- At least 4 killed, 150 others injured in Germany train collision
- At least 8 killed, 150 others injured in Germany train collision
- At least 9 killed, 150 others injured in Germany train collision
- Republican governors make possible last stand in NH primary as voting begins
- Republican governors eye strong showing in NH primary as voting begins
- Sanders, Republican governors eye comeback in New Hampshire primary
- Johnny Manziel's ex-girlfriend says QB's attack caused temporary hearing loss
- FBI says Clinton email investigation remains 'ongoing'
- Wife of ISIS leader charged in US in death of American hostage Kayla Mueller
- Hugh Jackman reveals fourth battle with skin cancer on Instagram, shares post-op photo
- Senate report: Illegal immigrants benefited from up to $750M in ObamaCare subsidies
- Pentagon confirms North Korea launched satellite into orbit
- CDC discovers new bacteria species that causes Lyme disease
- Casey Anthony launches her own photography business
- Pro-choice group cries foul over Doritos commercial 'Ultrasound'
- Bus bound for casino crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut
- Michael Douglas Among Those Honored By AARP
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- 'Kung Fu Panda 3' Tops Weekend Box Office
- Alejandro Inarritu Wins AT DGA Awards For 'The Revenant'
- Beyonce Drops Surprise Single Ahead Of Super Bowl Halftime Performance With Coldplay
- Benedict Cumberbatch, Emma Watson Named Visiting Fellows At Oxford College
- James Corden Recreates Classic Super Bowl Ad With Cindy Crawford For 'Late Late Show'
- Cindy Crawford & James Corden Recreate Her Classic Super Bowl Ad For 'The Late Late Show'
- Michael B. Jordan Wins Big At NAACP Image Awards
- Iggy Azalea Dishes On Her Sophomore Album
- Bruno Mars Finally Confirms Super Bowl Performance
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50