- Created on Monday, 31 December 2012 10:59
Following a season of on-field failures and off-field tragedy, the Kansas City Chiefs have parted ways with head coach Romeo Crennel.
The team announced that Crennel was fired Monday after a 2-14 season that will have the Chiefs picking first in April’s NFL draft.
In a team-released statement, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt said “no final determination” has been made on the status of general manager Scott Pioli. Pioli has come under heavy criticism for Kansas City failing to reach the playoffs for the past two seasons.
"I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for Romeo both personally and professionally,” Hunt said. “He is an accomplished coach, a man of great character, and he helped guide our football team through some extremely challenging circumstances this season.
“However, I am embarrassed by the poor product we gave our fans this season. I believe we have no choice but to move the franchise in a different direction.”
Crennel had only one full year on the job. He was named to the position last January after leading Kansas City to a 2-1 record as interim head coach at the end of the 2011 campaign. Crennel replaced Todd Haley, who was fired by Pioli after two-plus seasons with the franchise.
Despite landing five players on the Pro Bowl squad, the Chiefs didn’t even lead in regulation until their ninth game. Kansas City was especially poor on offense, ranking among the league leaders in turnovers as two quarterbacks (Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn) failed to spark the passing game.
Crennel also was overmatched trying to handle the defensive coordinator role as well as head-coaching responsibilities. He ceded the coordinator duties to Gary Gibbs at midseason.
The Chiefs were then impacted by the death of middle linebacker Jovan Belcher, who committed suicide earlier this month after murdering the mother of their infant daughter. Crennel had tried to talk Belcher out of shooting himself in the parking lot of team headquarters.
Crennel, 65, joined the Chiefs as defensive coordinator in 2010. He was 24-40 in four seasons as Cleveland’s head coach (2005 to 2008).
The Chiefs finished with four or fewer wins for the fourth time in six seasons.
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Hawaii declares state of emergency over Zika virus, dengue fever outbreak
- Five killed when car driving wrong way slams into SUV in Ohio
- Bitter wind chill creates dangerous conditions across Northeast
- US urges Turkey to stop attacks on Kurdish allies
- GOP Debate: Trump verges on tantrums; Rubio, Bush and Cruz all have solid night
- Good Samaritan saves trapped, screaming motorist from burning car, continues on to work
- Fireworks erupt between Trump and Bush, Rubio and Cruz at GOP debate
- Supreme Court Justice Scalia dead at 79
- Authorities arrest suspect who killed mom, 2 children in New York hotel room
- Obama has rare parliamentary window to make recess appointment to succeed Scalia
- GOP Debate: Trump, Bush clash on ISIS, Iraq, 9/11
- After Scalia's death, Obama has opening to shift Supreme Court balance
- Reaction to Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's death
- Scalia’s death looms over Republican presidential debate
- 3 killed, scores hospitalized after huge I-78 pileup, police say
- Multiple fatalities reported in big I-78 pileup
- 5.1 and 3.9 magnitude earthquakes recorded in Oklahoma
- California man vanishes owing FTC $113 million over get-rich-quick scam
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 84 now marked 'classified'
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 81 now marked 'classified'
- Louisiana Dem Gov. Edwards warns: Agree to proposed tax hikes or LSU football could be sacked
- Armed-robbery suspect loses arm in botched robbery attempt in Brooklyn
- Taylor Swift's family and friends voice their support
- 5 killed when car going wrong way slams into SUV in Ohio
- Rihanna Debuts New Collection For Puma
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence is donating $2 million to a Kentucky hospital after visiting
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50