- Created on Tuesday, 04 December 2012 04:07
Robert Griffin III did have some phenomenal runs as he set the NFL record for rushing yards in a season by a rookie quarterback. He also had some timely completions, including when he found receiver Pierre Garcon for an 8-yard fourth-quarter touchdown and then again on a 17-yard reception for a first down before the 2-minute warning to all but seal Washington’s first win in its last 10 “Monday Night Football” home games.
The target of the fan’s affection, however, may not have even been the deciding factor as the Redskins (6-6) inched into postseason contention for the first time in the Mike Shanahan era.
“We made plays when it counted,” said lineman Barry Cofield, part of a Redskins defense that held the Giants to three second-half points and five first downs. “They got some yards on us and we bent. We didn’t break. We got up in the fourth quarter and said, ‘This is it. We have to get it done.’ Guys are starting to step up.”
Washington’s third consecutive win puts it a game behind the Giants (7-5) and even with the Dallas Cowboys in the division. This game's contributions by the defense and Griffin were accompanied by 124-yard effort by running back Alfred Morris — which included a 6-yard run for a first down with a minute left to allow the ’Skins to kill the clock — and penalties.
Among the nine penalties for 73 yards called against the Giants was a drive-killing holding call on lineman Will Beatty, whose flag on third down negated a first-down pass as Giants quarterback Eli Manning found tight end Martellus Bennett for what would have been an 11-yard play on the potential game-winning drive. The Giants punted two plays later and never got the ball back.
“We talk finish, finish, finish, finish, finish,” Giants coach Tom Coughlin said. “I thought we could do that.”
Coughlin had reason to feel confident after his team entered the half with a lead, even if it was only 13-10. The Giants dominated time of possession as they had the ball 20 minutes, 32 seconds in the first half.
The Giants also entered with 26 consecutive wins when leading at halftime. That last loss, coincidentally, came against another rookie quarterback. Vince Young and the Tennessee Titans scored 24 points in fourth quarter to win, 24-21, on Nov. 26, 2006.
“We weren’t able to get much going,” Manning said. “We had two drives in the fourth quarter that didn’t work. We had to drive the ball and get points in those circumstances and we were not able to do it.”
Manning had more passing yards (280 to Griffin’s 163), although there was no way he was going to match his counterpart on the ground. Griffin had 72 yards rushing — and luck on his side with the night’s most spectacular scramble.
Griffin was 12 yards into a run in the first quarter when he was stripped of the ball, which bounded over to receiver Joshua Morgan. He ran the final 13 yards for the touchdown, which was upheld after a review.
“We didn’t run it in practice because we wanted to save it for the game,” Griffin joked. “I just knew he was going to be ready for it.”
Griffin’s charisma — not to mention his athleticism and what the Redskins mortgaged to draft him — created buzz. The fact he’s churning along with other facets of the team has made the Redskins a contender, even if the road the rest of the way is by no means easy.
The Ravens travel here Sunday before Washington closes the season at Cleveland, at Philadelphia and at home against Dallas.
For now, there is hope. It’s something that has been lacking around here for a franchise that hasn’t made it the playoffs since 2007 or advanced past the Divisional Round since the team won its last Super Bowl in the 1991 season.
“There’s a lot of excitement around this team and I think everybody feels it,” Griffin said.
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- US urges Turkey to stop attacks on Kurdish allies
- GOP Debate: Trump verges on tantrums; Rubio, Bush and Cruz all have solid night
- Good Samaritan saves trapped, screaming motorist from burning car, continues on to work
- Fireworks erupt between Trump and Bush, Rubio and Cruz at GOP debate
- Supreme Court Justice Scalia dead at 79
- Authorities arrest suspect who killed mom, 2 children in New York hotel room
- Obama has rare parliamentary window to make recess appointment to succeed Scalia
- GOP Debate: Trump, Bush clash on ISIS, Iraq, 9/11
- After Scalia's death, Obama has opening to shift Supreme Court balance
- Reaction to Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's death
- Scalia’s death looms over Republican presidential debate
- 3 killed, scores hospitalized after huge I-78 pileup, police say
- Multiple fatalities reported in big I-78 pileup
- 5.1 and 3.9 magnitude earthquakes recorded in Oklahoma
- California man vanishes owing FTC $113 million over get-rich-quick scam
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 84 now marked 'classified'
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 81 now marked 'classified'
- Louisiana Dem Gov. Edwards warns: Agree to proposed tax hikes or LSU football could be sacked
- Armed-robbery suspect loses arm in botched robbery attempt in Brooklyn
- Taylor Swift's family and friends voice their support
- 5 killed when car going wrong way slams into SUV in Ohio
- Gillian Anderson refutes reports that she has had work done
- World is fighting a new Cold War, Russia's Medvedev says
- 5 reasons to skip a workout
- Rihanna Debuts New Collection For Puma
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence is donating $2 million to a Kentucky hospital after visiting
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50