- Created on Tuesday, 11 December 2012 15:13
In a video posted on the newspaper's website, dallasnews.com, Stacee McWilliams said she arrived on the scene to find Brent pacing on the side of the road while Brown was calling from the overturned, burning 2007 Mercedes.
"Jerry was alive," McWilliams told the newspaper. "He was hurt. He was calling out and his own friend walked away."
Brown was later pronounced dead at an area hospital and Brent, 24, has been charged with intoxication manslaughter.
An Irving police spokesman said officers arrived at the scene to find Brent dragging his injured friend away from the car.
However, McWilliams said that picture doesn't tell the whole story.
"Josh Brent is not a hero," McWilliams said.
Brent's attorney, George Milner, disputed McWilliams' description of the first moments following the wreck.
"That is absolutely false," Milner told the newspaper on Monday. "That’s not even consistent with what the police said when they came up on the scene. What I’ve been told is that Jerry Brown was never conscious after the accident. She’s a nut and she better be careful with this one."
The team attended a private memorial Tuesday for Brown, who was a linebacker on the practice squad. Brent, who was also a college teammate of Brown's at Illinois, was expected to attend the service.
The two players were returning home from a party around 2 a.m. Saturday when Brent's car struck a curb on Highway 114 in Irving and skidded out of control, flipping at least once.
McWilliams said she ran up to Brent to make sure he was OK and initially thought him to be the only person involved in the accident.
However, McWilliams said she heard Brown screaming from inside the vehicle and pleaded several times with Brent to get his friend out of the car.
"[Brent] looked at me ... and he said, 'He won't get out of the car.' And I told him, 'You can't stand here and watch him die. You've got to get him out.'"
McWilliams said she finally ran to her car to get her phone. She returned to find Brown lying in the middle of the road, alone but alive and moving.
"He [Brent] didn't tell him, 'Hang in there, help is on the way,' nothing," McWilliams said. "He just left him there, and I want the magnitude of that to be understood."
McWilliams said she thinks Brent was in a state of shock, but said it does not excuse his initial inaction to the scene.
"He may have been in shock, but he was very coherent at the time," McWilliams said.
Follow Keith Whitmire on Twitter: @Keith_Whitmire
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Governor says he'll be the education commissioner
- Maine filmmakers release romantic comedy
- Sen. King to host opiate discussion in Bangor on Friday
- New business to be geared towards outdoor activities
- Two Maine companies are giving back
- Seven people arrested for dealing heroin and cocaine
- Candidates turn their focus to the next primary in South Carolina
- Attack in Hollis ends in one arrest
- The presidential race has made its way to Maine
- Sanders campaign breaks fundraising efforts as donations average $34
- Body found under frozen lake
- Director of Houlton Shelter Resigns, Police Investigating
- Liam Neeson was 'joking' about dating 'incredibly famous' woman
- Florence Henderson talks 'tough' childhood, why she became a hypnotherapist
- Fuel van without driver strikes plane at Boston airport
- HGTV stars release country music song, video 'Hold On'
- Ex-pharma CEO Shkreli offers Kanye West $10M for upcoming album
- Virginia high school nixes 'white guilt' video after criticism
- How impoverished but nuclear-armed North Korea earns money
- US, Russia and UN say Syria fighting 'cessation' to take effect next week
- Ohio police kill man who allegedly attacked people with machete
- At least 4 injured in machete attack at Ohio restaurant
- Does Bernie Sanders really want to win? Three Democratic debate takeaways
- Fear pervasive after Mexican prison riot that killed 49
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash on ObamaCare; join in slamming police
- Dem Debate: Clinton, Sanders clash over Wall Street ties
- Differences Undefined? Clinton, Sanders unite in police criticism amid testy debate
- Clinton, Sanders clash over Obama, more at testy debate
- The Latest: Teen who killed family ordered to treatment
- Diplomats in Munich agree to Syria cease-fire in a week
- Fargo police say officer shot during standoff dies
- University of Rochester scientists create 'super polymer' that can lift 1,000 times its mass
- Do or Die: Nevada lawmaker describes convincing last Oregon holdout to surrender
- Locals fume as EPA reveals Gold King mine spill much worse than initially stated
- Top terror groups focused on targeting planes, DHS secretary says
- State Dept. IG subpoenaed Clinton Foundation in 2015
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50