- Te'o tells Couric he lied
- Woman in picture speaks out
- Official explains not disclosing hoax
- Te'o breaks silence | Not enough
- Mastermind behind hoax ID'd?
- Records link Calif. home
- Whitlock: Media hypocritical in reaction
- Deadspin writer on FOX Sports Radio
- Could NFL Draft stock plummet?
- Video: How did this happen?
Lawyer Milton Grimes said the scam mastermind had Te'o believing "it was a female he was talking with."
Tuiasosopo played the role of Te'o's online girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, which ended up being a total hoax.
“This wasn’t a prank to make fun,” Grimes told The News. “It was establishing a communication with someone. ... It was a person with a troubled existence trying to reach out and communicate and have a relationship.”
Grimes went on to say that it was not the time to comment on his client's intentions or issues.
Grimes still stands by Tuiasosopo, believing that he is a good man.
“He’s torn by this,” Grimes said. “He didn’t mean for anyone to be hurt. Anything that he has done, he has apologized to those he could apologize to.”