- Created on Monday, 28 January 2013 15:54
Alex Smith has said and done all the right things since unceremoniously being replaced by Colin Kaepernick in the San Francisco 49ers' starting lineup. He has been the model teammate and a supportive backup. Now, it may be in his best interest to do something he probably imagined as unthinkable back in October.
A ProFootball talk report Monday indicated Smith is expected to seek his release before the start of free agency. Due to earn $8.5 million in 2013, with $1 million guaranteed now and the balance guaranteed as of April 1, the decision would allow Smith to be a factor in the beginning of the free-agent signing period.
A starting quarterback of a first-place team in Week 10. Asking for his walking papers three months later?
The unthinkable actually makes quite a lot of sense.
This year’s free-agent quarterback class isn’t exactly loaded with potential Pro Football Hall of Famers. Unlike last year, Peyton Manning isn't being courted. Joe Flacco isn’t leaving Baltimore (especially not after this year) and there are questions about Michael Vick’s long-term future as a franchise quarterback.
Smith still has a future as a franchise guy. Many within the league believe Smith, put in the right situation, can still be a very successful starting quarterback. He took the 49ers to the NFC Championship Game a season ago and he was having a very strong 2012 season. If his confidence isn’t completely shaken, he can be a very interesting — and motivated — veteran quarterback to build a team around.
Also helping Smith’s case is the fact that it’s not expected to be a particularly deep quarterback draft class. Unlike the 2012 rookie quarterbacks, there doesn’t appear to be a Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson in this year’s crop of draft-eligibile gunslingers. There’s probably not a Ryan Tannehill, either. Geno Smith and Matt Barkley — the expected top quarterbacks in this draft class — are not viewed as the same kind of "can't miss" prospects as Griffin III or Luck. Would you rather roll the dice on a college quarterback? Or go with a guy who's been there before and is looking to prove his doubters wrong?
This only boosts Smith’s stock.
There are a number of teams — namely the New York Jets, the Kansas City Chiefs, the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Arizona Cardinals, the Cleveland Browns and the Buffalo Bills — that could be looking to add a quarterback in free agency.
All eyes and attention will be on Colin Kaepernick this week. This report puts Alex Smith somewhat back in the spotlight.
- A new sandwhich shop opens its doors in Brewer!
- Joe Baldacci drops out of 2nd District race
- Maine Couple told to stop selling diet pills
- Habitat for Humanity is looking for some help from the community to give a family a home
- Penobscot Theatre February vacation camp includes new themed activities
- Police are looking for a man they say fled from a car crash
- Beware tax scams, IRS will not contact you by phone or email
- Report shows tax dollars being misused
- The Bangor Humane Society is inviting kids in the area to come make crafts
- Warmer weather is affecting events in Greenville
- Opening day of National Toboggan Races cancelled
- More limitations being placed on scallop fishermen
- The Coast Guard aided a disabled 65 foot fishing boat
- Suspicious fire in Oakland under investigation
- Republican governors make possible last stand in NH primary as voting begins
- Johnny Manziel's ex-girlfriend says QB's attack caused temporary hearing loss
- FBI says Clinton email investigation remains 'ongoing'
- Wife of ISIS leader charged in US in death of American hostage Kayla Mueller
- Hugh Jackman reveals fourth battle with skin cancer on Instagram, shares post-op photo
- Senate report: Illegal immigrants benefited from up to $750M in ObamaCare subsidies
- Pentagon confirms North Korea launched satellite into orbit
- Casey Anthony launches her own photography business
- Pro-choice group cries foul over Doritos commercial 'Ultrasound'
- Bus bound for casino crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut
- Charter bus crashes on I-95 in Connecticut, dozens reported hurt
- Porn actress drops lawsuit against Josh Duggar
- David Bowie, Beyonce both told Coldplay they hated their songs
- Why no one wanted 'The Notebook' role
- NFL star eyed in assault of off-duty cops in Philadelphia
- Cruise ship tossed in hurricane-force storm turning around, officials say
- How a cruise ship navigates a storm
- NYC cop on trial for deadly stairwell shooting breaks down on the stand
- NASA bans the word 'Jesus'
- Governors roar into NH primary, seek to disrupt Rubio's 'Marcomentum'
- Former ISIS sex slaves now army of ‘Sun Ladies’ ready to defeat terror group
- Runner dies after starting 5-mile Krispy Kreme Challenge
- At least 2 killed in apartment fight involving bats, sticks
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- 'Kung Fu Panda 3' Tops Weekend Box Office
- Alejandro Inarritu Wins AT DGA Awards For 'The Revenant'
- Beyonce Drops Surprise Single Ahead Of Super Bowl Halftime Performance With Coldplay
- Benedict Cumberbatch, Emma Watson Named Visiting Fellows At Oxford College
- James Corden Recreates Classic Super Bowl Ad With Cindy Crawford For 'Late Late Show'
- Cindy Crawford & James Corden Recreate Her Classic Super Bowl Ad For 'The Late Late Show'
- Michael B. Jordan Wins Big At NAACP Image Awards
- Iggy Azalea Dishes On Her Sophomore Album
- Bruno Mars Finally Confirms Super Bowl Performance
- Adele Might Not Like It, But Donald Trump Can Use Her Music
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50