- Created on Monday, 28 January 2013 18:07
Former NFL offensive tackle Kwame Harris reportedly was scheduled to appear in court Monday on assault charges stemming from an argument with his ex-boyfriend over soy sauce and underwear at a northern California restaurant.
Harris, 30, who played for the San Francisco 49ers from 2003-07 and for the Oakland Raiders in 2008, has been charged with felony counts of domestic violence causing great bodily injury and assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury in relation to the August 2012 incident, The (San Mateo, Calif.) Daily Journal reported.
He has pleaded not guilty but was due back in court Monday for a pretrial conference, the newspaper reported. If convicted, Harris reportedly faces up to seven years in prison.
Harris' ex-boyfriend, Dimitri Geier, also reportedly has filed a civil suit against Harris for assault, battery, false imprisonment, negligence and both intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress.
According to the report, Harris and Geier had been involved in a romantic relationship but were just friends when they met at Su Hong restaurant in Menlo Park. Harris intended to drive Geier to San Francisco International Airport, but instead was upset when Geier poured soy sauce on a plate of rice, according to the civil suit.
The men argued, the suit states, and Harris decided not to take Geier to the airport. As the men left, Harris reportedly tried to pull Geier's pants down and accused him of stealing his underwear.
Harris, who is listed at 6 feet 7 and 240 pounds in the police report, and Geier (listed at 6-foot-1 and 220 pounds) then fought, the suit states, with both parties throwing punches. Harris, however, punched Geier in the face several times until he fell, the suit states.
Geier reportedly was taken to an emergency room in San Jose. He had surgery to repair broken orbital bones, The Daily Journal reported.
Harris' lawyer, Alin Cintean, told The Daily Journal that Harris was charged because Geier was injured. "This really is a pure self-defense case. He was attacked," Cintean said of Harris. "We're looking forward to having this proven in court and clearing his name."
Harris also has filed a legal response to Geier's lawsuit denying all claims, The Daily Journal reported.
- A violent, vicious crime, 73 yr old raped at gunpoint
- School bus catches fire, all students evacuated without injury
- Sanders wins in NH, he finds out while shooting hoops
- Hampden officials say they are working hard to economic development
- Killer mom appeals murder sentence
- Governor withdraws nominess for Education Committee
- A Waterville man is accused of carrying out a terrifying crime
- Officials warn people to leave seal pups alone
- Pulse Marketing holds first web marketing seminar in Bangor
- Evening of romance at BSO Valentine's concert
- DOE looking for summer food program sponsors
- Huge alumni gift for Bates College
- Kennebec County Jail is preparing for major renovations
- Don McLean pleads not guilty
- Tractor trailer accident closes 202
- Chess Tables Coming to Brewer Waterfront
- Rockland man arrested on child porn charges
- Man involved in two high speed chases last week is in custody
- Governor submits state of the state in writing
- Driver allegedly was drinking at time of crash
- Trump, Kasich, Cruz, Rubio, Bush: What NH results mean to the still-alive five
- Matt Lauer asks Katie Holmes about his interview with Tom Cruise
- 'NCIS' recap: The dye is cast when a deep sea diver is killed
- 'NCIS' recap: The die is cast when a deep sea diver is killed
- Mayim Bialik flashes Piers Morgan two times on TV
- Texas nanny allegedly held hostage at home, forced to work 20-hour shifts
- Washington medical director resigns, blasts fire department in outgoing letter
- South Korea says it will shut down joint industrial park with North Korea over rocket launch
- American World War II veteran reunites with wartime girlfriend in Australia
- Death of Kristin Cavallari's brother ruled accidental
- Trump, Sanders win New Hampshire -- and 2016 battle moves south
- Trump, Sanders win New Hampshire -- and 2016 battle moves south, west
- Sanders, Trump and more. Fasten your seatbelt, America, this is gonna be one helluva ride
- Trump pulls off huge win, but Kasich will be the media darling
- Independents breaking for Trump in NH GOP primary, exit polls show
- Tight race for 2nd, 3rd in Republican New Hampshire primary
- Trump wins, Kasich takes 2nd in GOP New Hampshire primary, Fox News projects
- Trump, Sanders win NH primary – and the battle heads South
- Supreme Court puts Obama's power plant regs on hold
- Exit polls: Late deciders breaking for Trump, Kasich in NH GOP race
- Black Lives Matter activist kills self outside Ohio Statehouse, police say
- Report: DMX almost dies from drug overdose
- 'White guilt' video shown to high school students irks community
- The dangerous business of ship salvage
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- First 'Fuller House' Trailer Debuts: 'Damn, We All Still Look Good!'
- 'The Flash': Danielle Panabaker Talks Killer Frost, Deathstorm & Zoom
- Taylor Swift Leads iHeartRadio Award Nominations
- Michael Douglas Among Those Honored By AARP
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50