- Created on Sunday, 03 February 2013 22:44
NEW ORLEANS (AP)
The outage flipped a switch for the San Francisco 49ers, but the Ravens used a last-gasp defensive stand to hold on Sunday night, 34-31.
America's biggest sporting event came to a half-hour standstill in the third quarter when most of the Superdome lights and the scoreboards went dark. By then, the Ravens had a 22-point lead.
Everything changed after that, though, and the 49ers staged a sensational rally before Ray Lewis and Co. shut it down. But there were plenty of white-knuckle moments and the Ravens (14-6) had to make four stops inside their 7 at the end.
For a Super Bowl with so many subplots, it almost had to end this way.
Flacco's arrival as a championship quarterback coincides with Lewis' retirement - with a second Super Bowl ring no less. The win capped a sensational month since the star linebacker announced he was leaving the game after 17 Hall of Fame-caliber years.
The sibling rivalry between the coaching Harbaughs went to John, older than Jim by 15 months.
''How could it be any other way? It's never pretty. It's never perfect. But it's us,'' John Harbaugh said. ''It was us today.''
At 4 hours, 14 minutes, it was the longest Super Bowl ever. Among the most thrilling, too.
The loss of power delayed the game 34 minutes and left players from both sides stretching and chatting with each other. It also cost Baltimore whatever momentum it built, and that was considerable after Jacoby Jones' 108-yard kickoff return and game MVP Flacco's three touchdown passes made it 28-6.
Back came San Francisco (13-5-1) in search of its sixth Lombardi Trophy in as many tries.
Michael Crabtree's 31-yard touchdown reception on which he broke two tackles made it 28-13. A couple minutes later, Frank Gore's 6-yard run followed a 32-yard punt return by Ted Ginn Jr., and the 49ers were within eight.
San Francisco wasn't done challenging, though, and Colin Kaepernick's 15-yard TD run, the longest for a quarterback in a Super Bowl, made it 31-29. A 2-point conversion pass failed when the Ravens blitzed.
Tucker added a 38-yarder with 4:19 remaining, setting up the frantic finish.
Kaepernick couldn't get the Ravens into the end zone on the final three plays - there was contact on Crabtree on the final pass that appeared incidental, and Jim Harbaugh insisted it was pass interference.
Ravens punter Sam Koch took a safety for the final score with 4 seconds left. His free kick was returned by Ginn to midfield as time ran out.
In the first half, Flacco was as brilliant as Tom Brady, Joe Montana or Terry Bradshaw ever were in the NFL's biggest game. The only quarterback to win a playoff game in each of his first five seasons - his coach holds the same distinction - was nearly perfect.
It was typical of Flacco and Baltimore's postseason run. The Ravens stumbled into the playoffs with four defeats in its last five regular-season games as Lewis recovered from a torn right triceps and Flacco struggled. Harbaugh even fired his offensive coordinator in December, a stunning move with the postseason so close.
But that - and every other move Harbaugh, Flacco and the Ravens made since - were right on target. Just like Flacco's TD passes of 13 yards to Anquan Boldin, 1 to Dennis Pitta and 56 to Jones in the first half, tying a Super Bowl record.
New Orleans native Jones, one of the heroes in a double-overtime playoff win at Denver, seemed to put the game away with his record 108-yard sprint with the second-half kickoff.
Soon after, the lights went out - and when they came back on, the Ravens were almost powerless to slow the 49ers.
Until the final moments.
''The final series of Ray Lewis' career was a goal-line stand,'' Harbaugh said.
''It's no greater way, as a champ, to go out on your last ride with the men that I went out with, with my teammates,'' Lewis said. ''And you looked around this stadium and Baltimore! Baltimore! We coming home, baby! We did it!''
It was a bitter loss for Jim Harbaugh, the coach who turned around the Niners in the last two years and brought them to their first Super Bowl in 18 years. His team made a similarly stunning comeback in the NFC championship at Atlanta, but couldn't finish it off against Baltimore.
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Jason Cote is convicted of murder and to be sentenced Friday
- Gillian Anderson refutes reports that she has had work done
- World is fighting a new Cold War, Russia's Medvedev says
- Two Washington state boys missing since August found safe in Mexico
- Texas recommends court ban on bite mark evidence
- Alabama grandmother convicted in girl's running death dies
- Win Butler cut off from talking politics after celebrity game MVP win
- San Francisco police shot man 20 times, including 6 in back
- Sources: FBI investigating Ohio machete attack as possible lone wolf terror act
- Northeast braces for possible 'life-threatening' cold weather
- US military deploys more Patriot missiles in South Korea
- Manhole cover crashes into SUV's windshield, killing driver
- Madeleine Albright says controversial remark at Clinton rally was wrong context at wrong time
- Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia 1st to draw lifetime drug ban
- Former Va. Gov. Gilmore ends 2016 presidential bid
- AT&T says 5G will be 100 times faster than LTE and may even launch this year
- Expert: Kim Jong Un may have gone too far
- NJ comic's movie bit part backfires, results in gun charge
- Cops arrest teen for hack and leak of DHS, FBI data
- 'Deafening silence:' Obama, 2016 Dems mum on recent police deaths
- 'American Guns' star surrenders after Grand Jury indictment on illegal arms sales, tax evasion
- Sen. Harry Reid calls on Grayson to drop out of Senate race
- Barry Manilow rushed to hospital
- Love is... We asked, you answered
- Fox News Reporting: Voter Revolt
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50