(SportsNetwork.com) - In the second game of a three-game set following the All-Star break, the Texas Rangers will battle the Toronto Blue Jays at Rogers Centre Saturday.
- Created on Saturday, 19 July 2014 10:42
Texas will send Colby Lewis out to the mound to try and solve a potentially potent Blue Jays lineup, while the home squad will counter with Marcus Stroman on the mound.
Lewis has battled to a 6-6 record this season, but hasn't been able to keep his earned run average down as he enters the fray with a 6.54 mark in the category.
His most recent start came against the Angels back on July 10, in which he only lasted 2 1/3 innings on the hill after surrendering a whopping 13 runs (11 earned) on 13 hits. He undoubtedly picked up the loss in the eventual 15-6 Angels victory.
"I felt like it was one of those days. They hit it," Lewis said. "They found the gap and I got beat. Plain and simple."
His career against the Blue Jays doesn't leave much room for hope, either. Lewis has taken on Toronto nine times with eight career starts, and owns a 3-4 record with a 7.34 ERA. The Jays have put up 34 runs on Lewis in his 41 2/3 career innings.
Stroman has pitched in 13 games this season, and has made only eight starts. Still, he sports a 4-2 record with a 4.05 ERA with 47 strikeouts to just 13 walks.
The 23-year-old righty hasn't picked up a decision since June 23 - a victory against the Yankees. He's made three appearances since then, his most recent being a short outing against the Angels on July 9. He lasted 3 2/3 innings and gave up five earned runs on eight hits in an 8-7 loss.
At home this season, Stroman has pitched much better. He's accumulated a 3-1 record at Rogers Centre with a 3.89 ERA and a 1.16 WHIP. And 33 of his 47 strikeouts have been on his home turf.
Yu Darvish was on the mound Friday night for the Rangers, who jumped ahead 2-0 in the fifth inning and then 5-0 following a J.P. Arencibia three-run homer in the seventh.
Darvish went 6 2/3 inning Friday night and allowed just one run and five hits while racking up 12 strikeouts against the Jays. He picked up the win - his ninth of the season.
"It was a solid game all the way around," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "We made all the plays. That's the way we have to continue to play."
Colby Rasmus provided the only run for the Blue Jays with a solo homer in the bottom half of the seventh inning. R.A. Dickey got the start for Toronto and gave up five runs in seven innings pitched. He was tagged with the loss - his 10th on the year.
Jose Bautista, who entered the game Friday as the American League leader in on-base percentage, went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in the loss.
The Blue Jays have dropped three games in a row going back before the All-Star break, while Texas ended an eight-game skid that preceded the Midsummer classic. It was the Rangers' second win since June 29 (16 games).
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- Find out who made the cover of 'Sports Illustrated' Swimsuit cover
- UK band Viola Beach killed in road accident near Stockholm
- Hawaii declares state of emergency over Zika virus, dengue fever outbreak
- Five killed when car driving wrong way slams into SUV in Ohio
- Bitter wind chill creates dangerous conditions across Northeast
- US urges Turkey to stop attacks on Kurdish allies
- GOP Debate: Trump verges on tantrums; Rubio, Bush and Cruz all have solid night
- Good Samaritan saves trapped, screaming motorist from burning car, continues on to work
- Fireworks erupt between Trump and Bush, Rubio and Cruz at GOP debate
- Supreme Court Justice Scalia dead at 79
- Authorities arrest suspect who killed mom, 2 children in New York hotel room
- Obama has rare parliamentary window to make recess appointment to succeed Scalia
- GOP Debate: Trump, Bush clash on ISIS, Iraq, 9/11
- After Scalia's death, Obama has opening to shift Supreme Court balance
- Reaction to Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's death
- Scalia’s death looms over Republican presidential debate
- 3 killed, scores hospitalized after huge I-78 pileup, police say
- Multiple fatalities reported in big I-78 pileup
- 5.1 and 3.9 magnitude earthquakes recorded in Oklahoma
- California man vanishes owing FTC $113 million over get-rich-quick scam
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 84 now marked 'classified'
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 81 now marked 'classified'
- Louisiana Dem Gov. Edwards warns: Agree to proposed tax hikes or LSU football could be sacked
- Armed-robbery suspect loses arm in botched robbery attempt in Brooklyn
- Rihanna, Usher, Stevie Wonder & John Legend Help Honor Lionel Richie
- Lenny Kravitz Joins The Roots For Pre-Grammy Session
- Rihanna Debuts New Collection For Puma
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence is donating $2 million to a Kentucky hospital after visiting
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50