- Created on Wednesday, 03 April 2013 21:21
But the first two of the season for Alexi Ogando were huge Wednesday.
Ogando struck out Carlos Pena and Chris Carter in the first inning with Jose Altuve on third base to keep the Astros off the board in a scoreless game.
It was a sign of things to come as Ogando set a career high with 10 strikeouts and the Rangers won 4-0 to take the first series of the year against their new American League West foe.
Ogando combined with four relievers to complete the second-consecutive shutout of the Astros. The five combined to strike out 15 Astros, giving the Rangers 43 strikeouts for the series. It's the most by a major-league team in the first three games of the season, breaking the mark of 42 set by the 1966 Cleveland Indians.
Joe Nathan gave the team the record by striking out the side in the ninth.
"A.J. (Pierzynski) said 'Do you want the ball?' and I said I didn't need it," said Nathan, who had no idea the club had set a record.
While Nathan gave the Rangers the record, it was Ogando's start that was the key.
The right-hander, who is back in the rotation after spending last season in the bullpen, pitched 6 1/3 innings of four-hit ball and walked just one batter. That walk, to Brett Wallace in the third inning, brought manager Ron Washington to the mound for words of encouragement. It worked as Ogando got a ground out after that and retired nine-consecutive hitters.
"He was outstanding," said manager Ron Washington, whose team registered consecutive shutouts for the first time since the summer of 2011. "We were looking for him to go out there and continue to build on the process he was in during spring training and he went out there and did exactly what we needed to do, keep us in the ballgame."
Ogando had to be sharp as the Rangers didn't score a run against Philip Humber until the sixth inning. He was up to the task.
Ogando said he fed off Yu Darvish's near-perfect game Tuesday night and it worked. He also had the ability to get the big strikeout when needed, becoming the third Texas starter in the series to either match or set a career high for strikeouts in a game.
He allowed the double to Altuve to start the first inning and Altuve moved to third on a grounder. But that's when Ogando was able to mix the changeup, fastball and slider against a young, aggressive Houston team to get the strikeout when needed.
"I just focused on throwing quality pitches and I meant to strike them out," Ogando said. "I was able to execute my pitches and I had good results."
So did the Texas offense, which for the second-consecutive day started slow. The Rangers got their first run on a double-play grounder but were able to give the pitchers some cushion with three runs in the eighth inning.
An RBI double from Lance Berkman got the scoring started and Nelson Cruz and A.J. Pierzynski also brought home runs.
Berkman, who lives in Houston, went 1 for 2 with two walks and now has a 15-game hitting streak at Minute Maid Park. The new Ranger designated hitter is feeling comfortable in his new surroundings and is happy he's not facing the Texas pitching staff.
"It looks good to me," Berkman said of the pitching. "We knew coming in that we had some guys that have terrific stuff. I think you saw that. It was a good start for everybody. I know the first night was a little disappointing but we came back and won the next two ballgames and I think we showed that we're going to be a tough team to beat."
- Earthquake hits Central Maine today
- Ellsworth city manager announced today the city has hired a new police chief
- Zachary Grant pleas guilty to manslaughter
- Maine shelters get dogs from Puerto Rico
- DHHS supports funding for reopening 12 treatment beds
- Senator King honors former Senator Snowe
- UMaine students help others with tax prep
- NTSB announces second El Faro search to find missing data recorder
- Senator King to host opiate discussion in Bangor
- American seniors targeted by international drug dealers
- Two arrested on drug charges in Southern Maine
- Waterville crash sent three to hospital
- Fire breaks out at an apartment in Bangor yesterday afternoon
- James Pak sentenced to life for killing two teenaged tenants
- Leanna Norris is appealing murder conviction
- US urges Turkey to stop attacks on Kurdish allies
- GOP Debate: Trump verges on tantrums; Rubio, Bush and Cruz all have solid night
- Good Samaritan saves trapped, screaming motorist from burning car, continues on to work
- Fireworks erupt between Trump and Bush, Rubio and Cruz at GOP debate
- Supreme Court Justice Scalia dead at 79
- Authorities arrest suspect who killed mom, 2 children in New York hotel room
- Obama has rare parliamentary window to make recess appointment to succeed Scalia
- GOP Debate: Trump, Bush clash on ISIS, Iraq, 9/11
- After Scalia's death, Obama has opening to shift Supreme Court balance
- Reaction to Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's death
- Scalia’s death looms over Republican presidential debate
- 3 killed, scores hospitalized after huge I-78 pileup, police say
- Multiple fatalities reported in big I-78 pileup
- 5.1 and 3.9 magnitude earthquakes recorded in Oklahoma
- California man vanishes owing FTC $113 million over get-rich-quick scam
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 84 now marked 'classified'
- New batch of Clinton emails released, 81 now marked 'classified'
- Louisiana Dem Gov. Edwards warns: Agree to proposed tax hikes or LSU football could be sacked
- Armed-robbery suspect loses arm in botched robbery attempt in Brooklyn
- Taylor Swift's family and friends voice their support
- 5 killed when car going wrong way slams into SUV in Ohio
- Gillian Anderson refutes reports that she has had work done
- World is fighting a new Cold War, Russia's Medvedev says
- 5 reasons to skip a workout
- Rihanna Debuts New Collection For Puma
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence is donating $2 million to a Kentucky hospital after visiting
- O.J. Simpson's Former Doctor Talks Possible CTE Symptoms
- President Obama Recites Love Poem To Wife Michelle -- Watch!
- Kanye West Ignites Controversy With Taylor Swift Over New Song Lyrics
- 'The Originals': Leah Pipes On The 'Insane' Danger Cami Is In, Getting Lectured By Klaus & Elijah
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Return At Kanye West's Fashion Show
- Teresa Giudice Talks Prison Life, Reuniting With Family & Supporting Donald Trump
- Peyton Manning & Jimmy Fallon Have Fun With Eli Manning's Super Bowl Face
- [EXCLUSIVE] Bethenny Frankel Confirms She is Returning to 'RHONY'
- 'Legends Of Tomorrow': Marc Guggenheim On Ray & Snart’s Latest Mission, Training Kendra & The Omega Protocol
- Adam Levine Reacts To Taraji P. Henson’s Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mix-Up
- 'The 100 Q&A: Brenda Strong On Playing Ice Nation Queen Nia
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced
- 'Outlander' Season 2 Premiere Date Announced, New Trailer Drops
- Stars Step Out For Saint Laurent Hollywood Show
- 'Gilmore Girls' Revival Welcomes More Familiar Faces
- Gwen Stefani Teaming With Target For Live Grammy Video
- Adele Announces Surprise Pre-Grammy Concert
- 'Arrow': Katrina Law Previews 'Epic' Fight, 'Beautiful' Nyssa/Laurel Scene
- Eagles Band Members To Honor Glenn Frey At Grammys
- Johnny Depp Stars As Donald Trump In Funny Or Die Spoof
- Medical Examiner Rules Michael Cavallari's Death Accidental
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50